No, Gov. Pawlenty, Tax Cuts Don't Pay for Themselves

They said the same thing in 1980, yet the net result was more revenue for the government.

I think you are misinformed. The author of this was actually in the Reagan administration.

Reagan's Forgotten Tax Record | Capital Gains and Games

In case you aren't familiar with Bruce Bartlett

Bruce Bartlett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I never said Reagan did not raise taxes. He did cut the highest rate paid though, and spread the tax burden around. That, in case you missed it, is exactly what Ryan proposed.

What percent of households will pay no federal income tax under the Ryan plan?

I think you are misinformed. The author of this was actually in the Reagan administration.

Reagan's Forgotten Tax Record | Capital Gains and Games

In case you aren't familiar with Bruce Bartlett

Bruce Bartlett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I never said Reagan did not raise taxes. He did cut the highest rate paid though, and spread the tax burden around. That, in case you missed it, is exactly what Ryan proposed.

How the fuck would I know?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4xDJik79Z4]YouTube - ‪DN! Greenspan Opposes More GOP Debt - Keeping Unfunded Tax Cuts on Wealthy‬‏[/ame]

Really?

What do you consider middle class? Because the top 5% is around $150,000 a year, well below Obama's magical numbers.

Just look at your measuring stick. If the 95th percentile of the income distribution is "middle class", than by definition the 5th percentile is as well. The 5th percentile makes about $2,500 a year. Is $2,500 a year middle class? Certainly not.

So your position on the middle class is it doesn't exist?

Federal poverty guidelines classify a family of 4 as below the poverty level if they earn less than $30,000. If we apply your standard, that puts poor people as the middle class because they earn more than 25% of the other people who earn money.

If you cannot supply an actual number you have no business talking about this at all. What is the middle class as far as earnings go? Give me a number or ignore my question, your choice.

That's not my standard, that's the standard you're defending.

What conservatives can't understand about tax rates is that if all you can advocate is lower and lower tax rates, year after year, decade after decade, with no end in sight,

you are ignoring the simple fact that you're not cutting from the same place each time, you're cutting from lower and lower baselines.

It's kind of like a 400 lb. guy who decides he's going to lose a 100 pounds for his health, and does,

and then he decides well that was good so i'm going to lose another 100 pounds. Then he's down to 200, and he says, hey, I feel really good now,

so I'm going to lose another 100 pounds so I can feel really really good!!

Again,

the question remains unanswered, at what point have federal income taxes been cut enough? How much is too much?

That point HAS to be somewhere.

Did anyone answer the question?

At what point would federal income taxes be too low?

We can't answer that til every American pays Federal Income Tax.. Come back with that question when it isn't so stupid and unfair. Thanks.

You weren't saying that I'll bet when Bush and the Republicans were passing the tax policy that created that situation.
That is idiotic. It implies that no other administration ever lowered the federal tax rate.

What conservatives can't understand about tax rates is that if all you can advocate is lower and lower tax rates, year after year, decade after decade, with no end in sight,

you are ignoring the simple fact that you're not cutting from the same place each time, you're cutting from lower and lower baselines.

It's kind of like a 400 lb. guy who decides he's going to lose a 100 pounds for his health, and does,

and then he decides well that was good so i'm going to lose another 100 pounds. Then he's down to 200, and he says, hey, I feel really good now,

so I'm going to lose another 100 pounds so I can feel really really good!!

Again,

the question remains unanswered, at what point have federal income taxes been cut enough? How much is too much?

That point HAS to be somewhere.
Another poster suggested the goal is a zero tax rate. That's absurd. Also absurd is your perception that the desire is to lower to unrealistic levels.
The federal tax rate should reflect the balance between the need to raise revenue and the needs of the private sector to grow the economy without creating inflationary growth.
Contrary to the feelings of those on the Left, the federal government did not institute an income tax for the purpose of punishing people.

Just look at your measuring stick. If the 95th percentile of the income distribution is "middle class", than by definition the 5th percentile is as well. The 5th percentile makes about $2,500 a year. Is $2,500 a year middle class? Certainly not.

So your position on the middle class is it doesn't exist?

Federal poverty guidelines classify a family of 4 as below the poverty level if they earn less than $30,000. If we apply your standard, that puts poor people as the middle class because they earn more than 25% of the other people who earn money.

If you cannot supply an actual number you have no business talking about this at all. What is the middle class as far as earnings go? Give me a number or ignore my question, your choice.

That's not my standard, that's the standard you're defending.

One more time.

What is you wage definition for who is, and is not, in the middle class?

How the fuck would I know?

I thought you might know since you were claiming to know 'exactly what Ryan proposed'.

I did not claim any such thing. I said he is trying to reform the tax code and expand the tax base. I think his "plan," like most plans put out by any politician, is long on rhetoric, and short on specifics. I do enjoy pointing out that, unlike the Democrats, he does at least have a proposal, but I am sure you will continue to ignore that the Democratic Party is doing exactly zip about presenting any type of plan and continue to slam the Ryan plan, so carry on.

iceland_tax_rate_versus_revenue.bmp

02_International-3.gif

The 2 charts above show maximum tax revenue is achieved with around a 30% tax rate. The chart of the USA below shows revenue declined at 35% but that is not an accurate tax rate. The upper income people & business only paid an average of 17% tax rate due to loopholes. If everyone was forced to pay 29% our tax revenue would soar.

tax-rates-vs-revenues-chart.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back