No Disrespect Intended

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Sheryl Gay Stolberg, who covers the White House for The Times, gets a steady stream of complaints from readers about a curious issue.

These readers, like Susan Lonsinger of Bakersfield, Calif., object to the fact that The Times refers to President Bush as Mr. Bush on second and later references in news articles. They think that’s disrespectful and that he should always be called President Bush.

“Just a heads up. It’s ‘President’ Bush. YOUR President,” Lonsinger told Stolberg.

No Disrespect Intended - The Public Editor’s Journal Blog - NYTimes.com

very interesting. I'm going to be watching to see how many times the NYT calls the obamalama Mr.

:lol::eusa_shhh:

I don't know that it is very disrespectful. A lot would depend upon the man or woman. Some go for formality and some go for informality. I would never run for President, but if I woke up and found that I was president, I would dispense with any use of formal titles. That would be my preference. I know my wife would not address me as Mr President. She would just use my nickname as always.

I don't know that it is very disrespectful. A lot would depend upon the man or woman. Some go for formality and some go for informality. I would never run for President, but if I woke up and found that I was president, I would dispense with any use of formal titles. That would be my preference. I know my wife would not address me as Mr President. She would just use my nickname as always.

As long as they grovel as they kiss my ring, I'm not hung up on formalities

Sheryl Gay Stolberg, who covers the White House for The Times, gets a steady stream of complaints from readers about a curious issue.

These readers, like Susan Lonsinger of Bakersfield, Calif., object to the fact that The Times refers to President Bush as Mr. Bush on second and later references in news articles. They think that’s disrespectful and that he should always be called President Bush.

“Just a heads up. It’s ‘President’ Bush. YOUR President,” Lonsinger told Stolberg.

very interesting. I'm going to be watching to see how many times the NYT calls the obamalama Mr.

"Mister" is a completely appropriate title to address government officials by. The military addresses officials as either "Mr./Ms." or by their actula title. Either is acceptable.

and will you be writing letters of complaint as well? :eusa_whistle:

"Mister" is a completely appropriate title to address government officials by. The military addresses officials as either "Mr./Ms." or by their actula title. Either is acceptable.

An acquaintance once told me of an encounter with Henry Kissinger in an elevator which caused her to blurt out in surprise, "You're Henry Kissinger!" to which he replied blandly, "That's Doctor Kissinger." in such a way that she knew the conversation was over.

-Joe

We would say Mr. President

give me one of those jobs making a lot of money for supervising traffic around the world and I will destroy anyone who calls you anything but "Your eminence". Its a win win situation.

I have noticed that some of the talking heads of the MSM will say Barack as if they are close personal friends. Never heard them say George.

When addressing a former president of the United States in a formal setting, the correct form is ''Mr. Last Name." (''President Last Name" or ''Mr. President" are terms reserved for the current head of state.) This is true for other ex-officials, as well.

When talking about the person to a third party, on the other hand, it's appropriate to say, ''former president Last Name." This holds for introductions, as well: A current state governor is introduced as ''Governor Tom Smith," while you'd introduce an ex-governor as ''former Governor Jim Bell."

In an informal setting (such as a private lunch), it's acceptable to use the title the ex-official held. Here, you could refer to former president Jimmy Carter as either ''President Carter" or ''Mr. Carter."

WikiAnswers - What do you call a former president Is it former president or presidnt

Gunny, my 11 year old son is in the Navy Sea Cadet program. It is run by those of us retired from the Navy and Marines. He is taught to address everyone by Mr./Ms. Even his mother and I.

This year during his first week of school his science teacher who is a good teacher, but, pretty strict told him very forcefully when he addressed her as such, if you think your going to impress me your wrong, only your work will impress me.

Well my son is fairly out spoken, but, not wanting to disrespect her, had his commander phone her and explain that he is not interested in impressing her, he is simply following orders in spite of his personal feelings! lol

Forum List

Back