No Confidence

pete

The food stamp president
Oct 31, 2008
Scary ....

Obama bluntly told a Florida town hall yesterday that if his plan doesn't work, "then you'll have a new president." But that could mean four very painful years for the country.

washingtonpost.com

So in other words he doesn't care if it works, but is hoping it works.
I don't know ... if it were me in his shoes I would be showing no doubt and no fear, but the longer this goes on it seems he is unsure himself!!

Scary ....

Obama bluntly told a Florida town hall yesterday that if his plan doesn't work, "then you'll have a new president." But that could mean four very painful years for the country.

washingtonpost.com

I don't know ... if it were me in his shoes I would be showing no doubt and no fear, but the longer this goes on it seems he is unsure himself!!

Not only unsure but he doesn't care.

it seems our fearless leader doesn't understand that he must fearlessly lead

Personally, I think he's just being honest. He clearly has no idea if this will work or not, but he feels he has to do something. I just wish he would drop the rhetoric of, "Well the last eight years didn't work, so we don't have to listen to the free marketeers." He needs to realize that the free market did not reign over market intervention the last eight years and pay more heed to those that say the market needs to correct itself.

Personally, I think he's just being honest. He clearly has no idea if this will work or not, but he feels he has to do something. I just wish he would drop the rhetoric of, "Well the last eight years didn't work, so we don't have to listen to the free marketeers." He needs to realize that the free market did not reign over market intervention the last eight years and pay more heed to those that say the market needs to correct itself.

If he is being honest than it should reflect in his behavior-----you say on one hand that you don't know if it will work and then turn around and act as if the country will die without it.

What would you rather hear?

That the economy "is fundamentally strong", and there is no recession like Bush Jr. told us and then the last 6-8 months, it blows up, or, being told that the economy is a mess, they're trying to fix it, and because of the fuck ups of the past admin, they don't know if they can fix it yet?

Or......McStupid telling us that he can fix the economy in 4 years?

Me? I prefer honesty to being lied to.

That the economy "is fundamentally strong", and there is no recession like Bush Jr. told us and then the last 6-8 months, it blows up, or, being told that the economy is a mess, they're trying to fix it, and because of the fuck ups of the past admin, they don't know if they can fix it yet?

consistent truth trumps convenient truth every time

If he is being honest than it should reflect in his behavior-----you say on one hand that you don't know if it will work and then turn around and act as if the country will die without it.

You're absolutely right. What I meant was, I think he's being honest when he says this as opposed to his "sky-is-falling" rhetoric.

I think this was the wrong time for Obama to be our President. He is in way over his head. That being said, just about anyone, at this time, would be in the same position, in way over their head. Out of all of the choices we had, Romney probably would have been best to deal with the situation we are now in, but that's not a guarantee either.

The fact is that even the financial "so called" experts disagree on what should be done. The one thing everyone seems to agree upon is that "something" needs to be done. The only problem with that is whether or not this is the right "something".

In the end, this may all fail miserably and we'll be in worse shape than we already are. On the other hand, it might work as planned, or things might correct themselves despite this being a blunder. All we can do is wait and see.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jon

There are no earmarks on this bill, is that the truth ?

I already know what you're gonna say, but he's really not telling the truth. It's the truth along the lines of the famous quote " i did not have sexual relations with that woman". :eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
He needs to realize that the free market did not reign over market intervention the last eight years and pay more heed to those that say the market needs to correct itself.

bundled sub-prime mortgages...that's what the market left unregulated came up.

the market is taking a nose dive...and potentially take our country with it.

but yeah, let's stand back and watch...please.

He needs to realize that the free market did not reign over market intervention the last eight years and pay more heed to those that say the market needs to correct itself.

bundled sub-prime mortgages...that's what the market left unregulated came up.

the market is taking a nose dive...and potentially take our country with it.

but yeah, let's stand back and watch...please.

Well, the sooper dooper stimulus bill passed yesterday, how did the stock market react to that great news ? :eusa_whistle:

Scary ....

washingtonpost.com

He ran on change and hope. Things changed and he's hoping he can fix it. At least he's keeping that campaign promise. :rolleyes:

We had all better hope that he can fix it.

I "hope" that by the time my daughter is old enough to pay taxes, it's less than 65% ......

When your daughter figures out how badly we wasted away money to leave her holding the bag, she and those of her generation are going to demand government spending is cut to the core, including senior's benefits.

Honesty is such a lonely word.
Everyone is so untrue.
Honesty is hardly ever heard.
And mostly what I need from you.

Billy Joel
Yes, I can understand why some of you are alarmed by our current POTUS that doesn't announce MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Speaking honestly has become something of an alien concept of late, hasn't it?

Obama does not know if the stimulus package is going to work, and he has the intestinal fortitude to tell us that up front.

Neither does anyone else although some of us are convinced that we can predict the outcome of this move.

I'm rapidly coming to the opinion that longer term economic forecasting is about as much a science as alchemy.

So, given that they cannot know if this will work: why do anything? one might reasonably ask?

Because as unsure as most economists are that this will solve the problem in the longer term, they seem convinced that the problems that exist now will get worse in immediate term if they do nothing.

Like my Austrian School of Econ. chums, I too worry that we might oversteer throwing the economy into a hyperinflationary counterspin, but we KNOW that sans any injection of capital into the system, we're likely to see the economy go into a state of shock.

Quite the dilemma, isn't it?

Forum List

Back