No car freshman year in colleges?

Cain

Air Force DEP
Nov 14, 2010
Tennessee
So, I was looking at the Community College of the Air Force, and I noticed, firs year students cannot own their own vehicle. I have also heard of this on civilian colleges.

Why is this?

There is No Tooth Fairy, or Santa Claus, or Easter Bunny either. Some times Life just Sucks, huh. ;)

There is No Tooth Fairy, or Santa Claus, or Easter Bunny either. Some times Life just Sucks, huh. ;)

Nope, not for me, it's just peachy ;).

What the hell is "The Community College of the Air Force?"
Do you mean the Air Force Academy?
USAF Air University: Community College of the Air Force
Yes, the teen years are the most difficult. And yes, it's just seven more months until he's a freshman in college. Vehicle free of course. *wink*
What? Whom is getting a vehicle for free? Whoever it is, lucky. I've been through 2 vehicles so far and about to have to go through another. Can't complain though, my current vehicle works decent enough, first vehicle (76 Ford Ranger) was good, but 12mpg wasn't cutting it.

Yes, the teen years are the most difficult. And yes, it's just seven more months until he's a freshman in college. Vehicle free of course. *wink*
What? Whom is getting a vehicle for free? Whoever it is, lucky. I've been through 2 vehicles so far and about to have to go through another. Can't complain though, my current vehicle works decent enough, first vehicle (76 Ford Ranger) was good, but 12mpg wasn't cutting it.

What?
I don't know of anyone who is getting a vehicle for free.
My son though, he will be starting his first year of college this coming September and he will not have a vehicle.

I dunno about the military, Cain. In civilian colleges such a rule is common, as is a requirement that all freshmen who are not local live in dorms on campus. I believe it is a hold over from the 1950's, when colleges looked at incoming students as needing care and guidance, and acted "in loco parentis" ("in the place of parents").

So, I was looking at the Community College of the Air Force, and I noticed, firs year students cannot own their own vehicle. I have also heard of this on civilian colleges.

Why is this?

1. Being a Navy guy I'm not sure but I don't believe the CCAF is structured that way. The CCAF would be considered a multi-campus organization that provides credit for military schools and the ability to take other required general education courses toward awarding a degree.

2. Typically the driving restriction for first year students (Freshman) applies to those required to live in the dorm at colleges and universities. Community Colleges typically don't have residence dorms and so all students must commute to campus.

3. It isn't uncommon for Colleges and Universities that provide on-campus housing to require Freshman to (a) live in the dorm and (b) not be allowed to have a car on campus. The idea is that students new to the college environment should be - ah hem - encouraged to focus on their studies. Since for most it will be their first taste of individualism away from Mom and Dad, the idea is to encourage students to stay out of trouble and to establish good habits that will translate into long term success.

>>>>

No, it's an organization established by the Air Force in the 70's to provide educational opportunities to Air Force personnel. It was accredited as a degree awarding school by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (which is one of the regional accreditation organizations.)

>>>>

OK thanks for the link.

I don't get it: The first step in getting into this school is joining the Air Force.

Why would the Air Force pay you to take these courses? Doesn't the AF train you to do your job in the Air Force?

I smell a scam.

No, it's an organization established by the Air Force in the 70's to provide educational opportunities to Air Force personnel. It was accredited as a degree awarding school by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (which is one of the regional accreditation organizations.)

>>>>

It was accredited in 2004.

AF personnel can take courses anywhere they are stationed: How do they know they will be stationed in Alabama?

What?
My son though, he will be starting his first year of college this coming September and he will not have a vehicle.

I thought you where saying someone is getting a free vehicle their first year of college, I see some kids do. I see some at a local college whom drive really fancy cars, kinda sad. My next vehicle is the vehicle I am going to have, probably until it dies on me, which I hope will be over 15-20 years.

What?

I thought you where saying someone is getting a free vehicle their first year of college, I see some kids do. I see some at a local college whom drive really fancy cars, kinda sad. My next vehicle is the vehicle I am going to have, probably until it dies on me, which I hope will be over 15-20 years.

Join the AF, save a few $$, buy a fucking car, and go to school wherever you're stationed.

For christssakes, why is this complicated?

OK thanks for the link.

I don't get it: The first step in getting into this school is joining the Air Force.

Why would the Air Force pay you to take these courses? Doesn't the AF train you to do your job in the Air Force?

I smell a scam.

It's not a scam, it's called professional development and growth. I was an Aviation Electronics Technician in the Navy. The Navy provided tuition assistance programs that I used over the course of my career. When I joined I had a High School Degree. 20-years later I left with a Masters.

>>>>

>>>>

It was accredited in 1980. The accreditation was expanded in 2004.

AF personnel can take courses anywhere they are stationed: How do they know they will be stationed in Alabama?

The don't have to be stationed in Alabama, extension courses are offered on various bases and where CCAF direct classes are not available they can be taken at a local education institution and transferred back to CCAF for consolidation of credit. They probably have distance learning options to complete course requirements also.

>>>>

OK thanks for the link.

I smell a scam.

It's not a scam, it's called professional development and growth. I was an Aviation Electronics Technician in the Navy. The Navy provided tuition assistance programs that I used over the course of my career. When I joined I had a High School Degree. 20-years later I left with a Masters.

>>>>

Yeah, I KNOW the Navy provides tuition assistance.

The reason I smell a scam is that this school seems to be advertising itself as something special, tageting airmen to use their tuition assistance to pay for courses at this school that they could take anywhere, or even as part of AF training.

>>>>

It was accredited in 1980. The accreditation was expanded in 2004.

The don't have to be stationed in Alabama, extension courses are offered on various bases and where CCAF direct classes are not available they can be taken at a local education institution and transferred back to CCAF for consolidation of credit. They probably have distance learning options to complete course requirements also.

>>>>

Meh...I'd make sure you're taking courses that are worthwhile: There are lots of scams being run on service personnel to get their tuition assistance. You transfer the credit back, maybe get the degree, then bring it to employers (inside or outside the AF). The important question to ask is who is hiring (or promoting) based on coursework at The Community College of The Airforce.

IMHO you can get the same job (or promotions) without the coursework.

OK thanks for the link.

I smell a scam.

>>>>

Yeah, I KNOW the Navy provides tuition assistance.

The reason I smell a scam is that this school seems to be advertising itself as something special, tageting airmen to use their tuition assistance to pay for courses at this school that they could take anywhere, or even as part of AF training.

It's not a scam, the school was setup to provide educational opportunities to Air Force personnel that they often wouldn't have otherwise.

Most civilian's (not getting personal here, just expounding in general) relate to their college experience or to their perception of college and not reality. We "think" of an Associates Degree as a 2-year degree and a Bachelors Degree as a 4-year degree based on the preconceived notion of a student attending classes full time and earning 60-credit hours for an Associates or 120-hours for a Bachelors. In addition to the hours requirements Community Colleges and "4-year" Universities have requirements that a certain number of hours must be taken through their institution and only so many hours can be transferred in from outside sources (experience, military schools, CLEP, DANTES, other accredited schools, etc...).

When you are in the military your full time job is - well the military - school is on your own time. It comes behind work shifts, duty requirements, military training, deployments, etc... Because military people travel a lot, it is often difficult to remain in the same location long enough to enroll in a single institution, take classes only part-time, and complete the requirements for a degree in one place. A school established to meet the needs of military service members allows them to overcome some of these problems.

I knew a couple of people in the mid-80's that got royally screwed for that exact reason. They got part way through a degree program with a local University and then got transferred some where else. They could typically transfer in only 30-36 hours toward a 120-hour degree and had to take the same class twice simply for the credit.

Personally I was very lucky, I completed a program through Southern Illinois while stationed at NATTC Millington, TN that allowed me to complete my core classes during my tour. After I transferred out I was able to complete GenEd class at other places and transfer credits back. I started my degree program in 1986 but wasn't able to get all the classes needed to finish until 1994.

>>>>

Forum List

Back