No brown sugar on the shelves

HaShev

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2009
Everywhere I go I can't complete my shopping, because there's no brown sugar anywhere. Frustrated that it's been weeks of this I was gonna ask you guys if you also have this problem, and if there is some shortage for some reason.
Then I start thinking, was the processing plant of that famous small box of brown sugar from Texas and sure enough Sugarland Texas was flooded.
*slaps forehead*
You know a little heads up in the news would have heen nice, there's gotta be a break from this 24 hours dump on the President & country tabloid stuff.
You don't realize how much you use the stuff till you're down to your last sprinkles attached to the lining of the bag.
I might even have to use the sugar stuck to the bag above the twist tie line that was exposed to air....now that's desperate. *L*

Yes, I was amazed to find that's the way the factories do it as well. Counter intuitive really.

I had mollasses, but that particular brand had such a bad taste that even small amounts were overbearing, so I threw it out and swore never to buy the stuff without a taste test first.

Domino sugar should not have been affected, unless the small damage in NY caused this much delay shortage.

I actually use it to help brown meats and off set any salts used in tenderizing.
Also use it to make caramel.

Everywhere I go I can't complete my shopping, because there's no brown sugar anywhere. Frustrated that it's been weeks of this I was gonna ask you guys if you also have this problem, and if there is some shortage for some reason.
Then I start thinking, was the processing plant of that famous small box of brown sugar from Texas and sure enough Sugarland Texas was flooded.
*slaps forehead*
You know a little heads up in the news would have heen nice, there's gotta be a break from this 24 hours dump on the President & country tabloid stuff.
You don't realize how much you use the stuff till you're down to your last sprinkles attached to the lining of the bag.
I might even have to use the sugar stuck to the bag above the twist tie line that was exposed to air....now that's desperate. *L*

Do you want me to mail you some brown sugar?

*L* no, I'll tough it out with lightbrown sugar till the sugar crisis of 2017 has ended.
"oh the humanity!"

Where do you live that there is no brown sugar? I have a special lump I keep for special cooking and baking days, along with my stones of powdered sugar for French toast days.. I think I had one last year....??

I do cook with both imitation butter and brown sugar to give a nice sear to the meat, it makes a great caramelized grill flavor to pan frying, with a splash of whisteshire, few drops of liquid smoke and dab of Hoisen & with the right spices(garlic powder, onion powder, ground powdered sage, & pepper, no salt if you tenderized with salt)
Then comes the weird but brilliant part, after I'm done and the pan cools, I plastic wrap and refridge to use the burnt and drippings to cook the next day so it's infused condensed and flavorful to sear with and it saves doing all those pans and pilling up of the dishwasher.
I actually get a better flavor indoors then the outdoor grill and don't have to go in and out back and forth to grille.

I do cook with both imitation butter and brown sugar to give a nice sear to the meat, it makes a great caramelized grill flavor to pan frying, with a splash of whisteshire, few drops of liquid smoke and dab of Hoisen & with the right spices(garlic powder, onion powder, ground powdered sage, & pepper, no salt if you tenderized with salt)
Then comes the weird but brilliant part, after I'm done and the pan cools, I plastic wrap and refridge to use the burnt and drippings to cook the next day so it's infused condensed and flavorful to sear with and it saves doing all those pans and pilling up of the dishwasher.
I actually get a better flavor indoors then the outdoor grill and don't have to go in and out back and forth to grille.
I save the drippings also for a roast..

Forum List

Back