NKorea sentences 2 US journalists to 12 years jail

wonder what "political re education prison" is all about?

I heard about some brainwashing horror stories from some of my Black male freinds
that have returned alive out from the "American belly of the beast" Penitentiary system!$?

Unfortunately, this is a touchy situation because China probably would have a problem should we try to make a rescue attempt or to overthrow the current regime. There are many possible solutions, but any that are realistic will involve the Chinese.

Personally, I think this would be a great time to persuade the Chinese to overthrow the current regime and set up a new regime that would be more hospitable toward everyone. At some point in time (no real idea when that might be), we are going decide if we are going to try to ally ourselves with China or if they will remain a friendly adversary.

Unfortunately, this is a touchy situation because China probably would have a problem should we try to make a rescue attempt or to overthrow the current regime. There are many possible solutions, but any that are realistic will involve the Chinese.

Personally, I think this would be a great time to persuade the Chinese to overthrow the current regime and set up a new regime that would be more hospitable toward everyone. At some point in time (no real idea when that might be), we are going decide if we are going to try to ally ourselves with China or if they will remain a friendly adversary.
or convince china it would be in their best interest to just remove Kim Jong Il and seek reunification with the south
that would be the best solution for that entire peninsular

or convince china it would be in their best interest to just remove Kim Jong Il and seek reunification with the south

The problem with that is that would require China to support a democracy, which they are not likely to do. They like the fact that N. Korea is a communist country, especially since they have direct borders with N. Korea. Still, any regime change brought about by the Chinese would likely be an improvement over the current one.

The problem with that is that would require China to support a democracy, which they are not likely to do. They like the fact that N. Korea is a communist country, especially since they have direct borders with N. Korea. Still, any regime change brought about by the Chinese would likely be an improvement over the current one.
i know, wishful thinking
but that would be the best solution

The Associated Press
Monday, June 8, 2009; 12:31 AM

SEOUL, South Korea -- North Korea's top court has convicted two U.S. journalists, and sentenced them to 12 years in labor prison, the country's state news agency reported Monday.
The Central Court tried American TV reporters Laura Ling and Euna Lee and confirmed their unspecified "grave crime" against the nation, and of illegally crossing into North Korea, the Korean Central News Agency said.
It said the court - which tried the women from June 4 to 8 - "sentenced each of them to 12 years of reform through labor." The report gave no other details.
The U.S. Embassy in Seoul said it had no immediate comment.

more

wow, they really think this will fly?

Iran just released an American female journalist because she went on a starvation diet. NK is not the place to stroll around--they are extremely suspicious of everyone.

This is a hostage crisis. Obama needs to call this a hostage crisis and the press needs to call this a hostage crisis and I think we will see those girls home unless the N. Korean leader is totally insane(which he may be)

Where have you been for the last 8 years? He is totally insane. No doubt he is using these women to bribe the United States & to prove he is all powerful. He has captured a couple of American citizens. They're probably celebrating that right now.

Why isn't the International Red Cross there? Checking on the condition of these two ladies? What? you say? They are Americans!

I think it is time to punish North Korea. We should rescue the 2 girls and shoot up the prison. We should then say good bye to their nuke program with conventional weapons and then leave.

God forgive me, but I actually think you might be right.

That vile regime of totalitarian nitwits needs a wake up call, that's for damned sure.

We have less of a reason to attack North Korea then we did Iraq or potentially in the FUTURE Iran. And more to lose, namely MILLIONS of South Koreans.

YOU claiming we should is SIMPLY HILARIOUS.

But fear not Obama is NEVER going to even threaten them.

I am God dam sick of Killer Kim Jung Wang Chung Mentally Ill.

Here is the fucking solution, we tell China get rid of this rotton cabbage or we HAVE to re-arm Japan. China fears Japan for obvious reasons, Japan fears North Korea for obvious reasons.

Lets dance.

I don't think we need to persuade China to do anything. They would have their own major problems if hundreds of thousands of refugees started crossing the border.

As for the reporters, apparently there's a very small window to try to negotiate their release or they may possibly be lost forever to NK's wonderful prison system. So what will the far right's reaction be should that evil person Al Gore actually succeed in getting them released? How will Limbaugh spin that, I wonder?

I am God dam sick of Killer Kim Jung Wang Chung Mentally Ill.

Here is the fucking solution, we tell China get rid of this rotton cabbage or we HAVE to re-arm Japan. China fears Japan for obvious reasons, Japan fears North Korea for obvious reasons.

Lets dance.

Ya Obama is gonna do that. Obama will do nothing but whine and tap dance. And then give in. He can not make friends if he threatens anyone. Maybe he can ask France and Germany what we should do?

You mean like you thought he would do with the Somalia pirates?

wow, they really think this will fly?

Depends, if they were really in North Korea illegally when the were arrested and did indeed violate North Korean laws, then on what grounds would anybody have to protest? If foreign journalists came into the U.S. and violated our laws (even if the rest of the world felt said laws and punishment were unjust) what would happen? Not 12 years behind bars, that's for sure. Probably deportation, period.

Given the North Korean governments history, there is likely some underlying agenda but on the other hand if these journalists are actually guilty of what they are being accussed of, they pretty much got what was coming to them.

They are not accused of espionage, so even NK knows better than to treat them as spies or common criminals. But you'd love that, I expect.

I think it is time to punish North Korea. We should rescue the 2 girls and shoot up the prison. We should then say good bye to their nuke program with conventional weapons and then leave.

God forgive me, but I actually think you might be right.

That vile regime of totalitarian nitwits needs a wake up call, that's for damned sure.

Never happen. Again, China would be beset with refugees with the rest of the world watching to see what they would do with them. Not only that, China wants to be a major player on the global scene and can't risk military conflict with the United States and its allies. China would still need to save face and defend North Korea, which would set them back geopolitically and economically, which they will avoid.

Frankly, I think all of the recent huffing and puffing by North Korea is intended to send Kim Jung Ill to his grave thinking "he won." Then sunnyboy will take over, and he may be the same as pop or even worse. Only time will tell. In the meantime, I don't think we should offer any more carrots, start following through on the old UN resolution to stop arms shipments by blockading the country, and allow NK to have the stage as being at the apex of the axis of evil. Some other country will eventually swallow it up as it shrivels from having any global importance at all other than territory (the exact opposite of what the fool Kim Jung wants).

weird diachotomy at work here on this....China doesn't want a strong Korea, but doesn't want an unstable basket case north either....they also don't want a US presence in the region, but accept it because it keeps Japan in check as well....

I think in China's perfect world, it would want a still divided Korea, but a north more on the lines of East Germany (economically speaking)....weak, but stable....

Forum List

Back