NK Wants Czech. To Ban "Team America"

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
:banana:
Now why Czech Republic?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...3&u=/ap/20050205/ap_en_mo/nkorea_team_america

. Korea Wants Czech Ban of 'Team America'

Sat Feb 5, 3:45 PM ET Entertainment - AP

PRAGUE, Czech Republic - North Korea (news - web sites)'s embassy in Prague has demanded that the film "Team America: World Police" be banned in the Czech Republic, saying the movie harms their country's reputation, a report said Saturday.

In the film by "South Park" creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone, a team of marionettes rushes to keep North Korean leader Kim Jong Il from destroying the world, reducing world capitals to rubble along the way.

"It harms the image of our country," the Lidove Noviny daily quoted a North Korean diplomat as saying. "Such behavior is not part of our country's political culture. Therefore, we want the film to be banned."

The Czech Foreign Ministy said the film would not be banned in the Czech Republic.

"We told them it's an unrealistic wish," ministry spokesman Vit Kolar was quoted as saying. "Obviously, it's absurd to demand that in a democratic country."

The fact that the NK ambassador would ask/demand such a thing from a democratic nation is a good indication as to why Parker and Stone chose to use Kim Jong Il in their film.

Gem said:
The fact that the NK ambassador would ask/demand such a thing from a democratic nation is a good indication as to why Parker and Stone chose to use Kim Jong Il in their film.

It might work in France. :p: I should check, maybe they didn't play the movie, I mean "Team America" did leave a mess in Paris. :laugh:

Kathianne said:
It might work in France. :p: I should check, maybe they didn't play the movie, I mean "Team America" did leave a mess in Paris. :laugh:
A few years ago, I read that the French complained about the Bruce Willis movie, “Armageddon,” where a very large meteorite blasts Paris. Shanghai also bought-the-farm in that film.

wolvie20m said:
Damn I still gotta see that movie...but from the previews whats unrealistic?

The movie was great. Very funny and lampooned everyone, including the US.

"Obviously, it's absurd to demand that in a democratic country."

Whoa - Vit Kolar said a mouthful there!

I can understand NK's frustration. How is tyranny going to survive if people can just go around blurting out the TRUTH?

musicman said:
"Obviously, it's absurd to demand that in a democratic country."

Whoa - Vit Kolar said a mouthful there!

I can understand NK's frustration. How is tyranny going to survive if people can just go around blurting out the TRUTH?

I tried to rep, can't. So take this as a kudo! :mm:

Forum List

Back