NJ outlaws dropping out of school

Some kids would be better off dropping out of HS and learning a trade.

I became successful because of learning a trade, and now I own my own business and really enjoy life. I'm not exactly in agreement about dropping out of HS though. When it comes to trades, the only path to any kind of success is either working for yourself or getting into a union. Good luck getting into a union without a diploma.

This is a great way to raise those graduation rates. It will cost a zillion dollars. It will lower the bar for all students. It will make schools less safe.

Overall, it will decrease learning, but hey - everyone knows that's not the real purpose of school.

Since at least 2002, a bill to make students stay in school until they turn 18 has been introduced in every session of the state Legislature, but it never went very far before dying with a thousand other bills.

Today, the measure (A1411) was revived, clearing the Assembly Education Committee by a party-line vote of 6-2. And it appears to be on a roll , as it’s also scheduled for a Senate Education Committee hearing Monday.

All it took was for the president to call on states to pass it in his State of the Union address last week.

N.J. Assembly panel approves bill raising minimum school dropout age to 18 | NJ.com

Thank you president Obama. I look forward to working with more kids with violent criminal histories. :evil:

my aunt recently moved from Jersey to fla last summer. she lived in NJ for 25 years.....the abbott decision and its odious spin offs, the housing BS etc etc finally forced her to just say fug it.

Bull.

When I was in HS I got a job working as a grunt for a carpenter I could have stayed on with him and learned to build a house if I had chosen to do so.

you were in high school a long time ago.

things change. *shrug*

Nothing in carpentry has changed that much that one cannot still learn on the job.

thats becasue 'budgetary' conditions have 'forced' some , well a lot of nationwide districts to pull the plug on wood and metal shop classes...*shrugs*

We have fewer electives for students because of "budgetary constraints", but the truth of the matter is that students have so many mandatory classes, there is little room in their schedules for electives. These are the requirements for all HS students in NJ - inc. those with learning disabilities and those in alternative schools.

The new high school rules require 120 credits for graduation -- up from 110 -- and an infusion of "21st century skills" across all content areas. Three years of math will be phased in for students, starting with Algebra 1 for current high school freshmen. Geometry will be added for the 2010-2011 ninth-grade class and "a third year of math that builds upon these two courses" will be required for the incoming freshman class of 2012-13.

Three years of lab science are also now required, starting with biology for current freshmen. A second year of science -- either chemistry, physics or environmental science, will be added for the incoming freshmen of 2010-11; and a third lab science course will be required for the class that begins high school in 2012-13.

The incoming freshmen of 2010-11 must also take a half-year of economics and financial literacy under the new requirements.

That's in addition to the arts, computers, P.E., world languages...

http://www.state.nj.us/education/ser/grad/reqchart.pdf

when i taught i found much of my time taken up by paperwork....simple as that....most teachers no longer discipline....they simply kick the kids to the principle .....most teachers want to see kids reflect that they are good teachers......

most teachers want the easiest path they can find.....tenure? what the hell is that all about?
no standardized testing....for teachers...teachers teaching out of their fields...the list of evils just goes on.....

o i am still waiting for the posts on what you say i posted.....go for it chanel...where are they?

Teachers cannot discipline beyond verbal instruction, to do so would risk their employment.

This will turn some high schools into juvenile holding facilities.....

Should the bill become law without state financial support, it could be challenged by school districts. The state Council on Local Mandates recently declared the state’s new anti-bullying law unconstitutional because the state did not provide funding to implement it under the “State Mandate State Pay” provision.

Research by the Rennie Center for Education and Research Policy in Massachusetts indicates that raising the mandatory school age alone does not appear to reduce dropout rates. A report funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation called dropouts a “silent epidemic” that must be reversed, at least in part, by making school more relevant to students and their futures.

The proposed Senate bill also includes a provision making failure to comply a disorderly persons offense. Parents or guardians of truant students could be penalized $25 for the first offense and $100 for subsequent offenses.

New Jersey legislators want to raise school dropout age to 18 - pressofAtlanticCity.com: Breaking News

Forum List

Back