NJ Nanny State: Beware of the evil trees

I am going to ride my bicycle down to city hall and file a complaint! First I will have to put my safety helmet on - yep, a fucking helmet to ride a bike! Then I'll have to take the 2 hour safety course - that is required to obtain the license. You need the license in order to ride the bike on city streets. Then I will ride my newly licensed bike with my safety helmt on down to City hall. woo hoo!! Of course - legally I will have to WALK the bike through the intersections- can't take a chances ya know!! ....oh fuck it, this shit is taking forever....wtf was I complaining about?

I am going to ride my bicycle down to city hall and file a complaint! First I will have to put my safety helmet on - yep, a fucking helmet to ride a bike! Then I'll have to take the 2 hour safety course - that is required to obtain the license. You need the license in order to ride the bike on city streets. Then I will ride my newly licensed bike with my safety helmt on down to City hall. woo hoo!! Of course - legally I will have to WALK the bike through the intersections- can't take a chances ya know!! ....oh fuck it, this shit is taking forever....wtf was I complaining about?

Uhh... Sounds like a biking hazards without your reflective gear!

Don't you know there are children walking around out there!

Monster...

Gone are metal jungle gyms and slides high above ground, ripped up and replaced by low-to-the ground plastic structures with rounded edges and unimaginative designs.

As if the traditional playgrounds weren’t unsafe enough, school inspectors in New Jersey have now identified another threat to our children’s safety: the potentially eye-poking menaces known as trees.

You read that correctly.

Apparently, low-hanging tree branches at a rural child-care facility in Moorestown, N.J., were too much to take for inspectors with the state’s department of children and families.

They ordered the facility’s director, Sue Maloney, to cut the “overgrown vegetation” to a height of two metres on every tree. Either that or a fence would have to be built around each tree to prevent children from getting too close. Failing to do so would put the school’s safety record in jeopardy.

The latest safety hazard on school grounds: trees - Parentcentral.ca

You can't make this shit up. :evil:

It was so much more entertaining when Darwin got to sort the kids out. I myself fell out of the monkey bars a few times and the seesaw was a death trap. And let's not even talk about the merrygoround....barf. Fun times!

Like walking along and the guy in the swing comes out of no where and sends you flying. LOL!
You get to close to the tether ball and get smacked in the side of the head.

It was so much more entertaining when Darwin got to sort the kids out. I myself fell out of the monkey bars a few times and the seesaw was a death trap. And let's not even talk about the merrygoround....barf. Fun times!

Like walking along and the guy in the swing comes out of no where and sends you flying. LOL!
You get to close to the tether ball and get smacked in the side of the head.

But you can't DO that any more...competition isn't allowed...someone MIGHT get hurt...Life's a BITCH on this planet, isn't it?

The state has the responsibility to oversee the safety standards of child care facilities. Why would you have a problem with that?

The state has the responsibility to oversee the safety standards of child care facilities. Why would you have a problem with that?

And what trouble are these trees?

You want your kid swinging from a tree while you are at work? Put your kids in a dangerous situation on your own time. Get real people, we are in a litigation world and the state would get sued if a day care kid broke his arm swinging from what they call an "attractive nuisance" which should have been taken care of by state inspectors.

It's a privately owned facility - regulated by the state. Her insurance company didn't have a problem with it.

Lauren Kidd, a spokeswoman with the Department of Children and Families, said the request to cut off the branches is based on a requirement in the U.S. Public Playground Safety Handbook, which states that when trees are used for shade, additional maintenance issues arise, such as the need for cleaning debris and trimming limbs.

Could be a major precedent. Good bye mother nature. Kids should live in plastic bubbles in rubber rooms anyway.

Sounds to me like this isn't quite so silly a regulation as some of you seem to think it is.

You're running a daycare of kids of varying ages and you don't think that giving them access to climbing trees that might be very tall isn't an ATTRACTIVE NUISANCE?

I submit to you that it very well might be just that.

If I were running such a daycare I'd do something about limiting access to those trees, as well.

Because otherwise, the first time somebody's precious fell out of one, I know damned well that the daycare could end up defending itself from a charge of neglect.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back