NJ: In-State Tuition Rate Bill for Undocumented Aliens

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
After years of debate and discussion, the Jersey Legislature will finally consider a measure on Monday that would allow illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition rates to attend a State college or university.

Opponents of the measure say the legislation burdens Jersey's higher education system, and improperly rewards lawbreakers, but State Senator Ron Rice says "everything we do in life - unfortunately - has a cost factor to it - and the issue is, can we not afford to do it…we need to get kids educated, so they can become a part of a system of economics and growth, and get their family value system back."

He says he doesn't want young people who are undocumented to feel "well, I don't have no opportunities, and therefore I'm going to find a way to survive and so I'll become a part maybe of a sub-culture group with sub-culture values - I'll be a gang member."

New Jersey 101.5 FM - Jersey Lawmakers Get Set to Vote on In-State Tuition Rate Bill for Undocumented Aliens

Any predictions?

What??? Become a gang member if he has to pay the tuition EVERYBODY else pays??? Is that the same as threatening to become a prostitute if you don't give someone welfare? Well, if that is the case, go for it - problem solved! No skin off MY back. There are many in this country who go uneducatd due to hardships and are not given a free pass. Oh yes, and they still maintain their family values.

Not yet vortex. Score one for the good guys.

Proposed legislation to give certain illegal immigrants the privilage of paying in-state tuition rates at Jersey State colleges and universities was never put up for a vote in the State Senate, because democrats couldn't line up the necessary votes to pass it.

Democratic State Senator Ray Lesniak said "people were afraid politically that that they would be considered to be helping illegal aliens…the bill should have been passed because it gives these children an opportunity to get a higher education."

Meanwhile republican State Senator Steve Oroho was glad the bill wasn't passed, saying "we need to keep the value of being a U.S. citizen - living in New Jersey - as high as it should be…if the legislation do go through, more illegal aliens would want to come to New Jersey - which quite frankly, you could end up make it even worse of a situation.

New Jersey 101.5 FM - In-State Tuition Bill for Illegal Aliens Never Gets Voted On

All I can say is we really lucked out by electing Christie. This would have passed with him in charge.

Would you please send some of that common sense to CA? We are broke because of all the perks given to the poor plus the illegals which make a high percentage of the poor.

I believe it's pending. Not sure how up to date this map is, but it looks like only 4 states PROHIBIT it. Pathetic.

map_us_outline_tuition.jpg

Map of States with In-State Tuition Laws | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels

I'll try and find the case, but I read a while back that a group of "out of state" parents who were paying higher tuition than the illegals getting "in state tuition" were suing, claiming the law was discriminatory. Which it is.

NJ legislators tried to claim "It costs nothing". How dumb do they think we are?

Here's one in CA. Not sure of the outcome.

Martinez vs. Regents of the University of California began with a lawsuit filed in Yolo County in 2005 by out-of-state students and their parents. The lawsuit alleges that education officials are violating federal law by granting in-state tuition to illegal immigrants while not offering the same lower fees to students from outside California.

"U.S. citizens should have at least the same rights as undocumented immigrants," said one of the plaintiffs, Aaron Dallek, an Illinois native who graduated from UC Berkeley in 2006.

Another plaintiff, 2006 UC Davis graduate Onson Luong, said he didn't think it was fair that he, as a native of Nevada, had to pay higher tuition than illegal immigrants. Luong, who majored in biotechnology, worked two jobs during college and owes $15,000 in student loans.

"If they are allowing illegals to pay in-state tuition when they aren't even citizens, what kind of message is that sending?" Luong asked.

California Supreme Court to take on state law granting in-state tuition to illegal immigrants - Los Angeles Times

Another case pending in TX.

The lawsuit specifically names the University of Houston, Houston Community College and Lone Star College systems. A spokesman for UH declined to comment on Tuesday, citing the pending litigation. HCC officials said a copy of the lawsuit was under review by their attorneys. A Lone Star spokesman said the college was not prepared to comment Tuesday afternoon.

In the lawsuit, the plaintiffs allege that at least 8,000 illegal immigrants attend Texas colleges and universities at discounted tuition rates for in-state residents or receive some form of state financial aid, saying the statute violates federal law. The lawsuit also requests an injunction barring illegal immigrants from receiving the in-state break on tuition or state-funded financial aid.
"We don't think that taxpayers should break federal law in order to subsidize people who are in the United States illegally," Rogers said.

Lawsuit challenges in-state tuition for illegal immigrants | Immigration Chronicles | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

After years of debate and discussion, the Jersey Legislature will finally consider a measure on Monday that would allow illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition rates to attend a State college or university.

Opponents of the measure say the legislation burdens Jersey's higher education system, and improperly rewards lawbreakers, but State Senator Ron Rice says "everything we do in life - unfortunately - has a cost factor to it - and the issue is, can we not afford to do it…we need to get kids educated, so they can become a part of a system of economics and growth, and get their family value system back."

He says he doesn't want young people who are undocumented to feel "well, I don't have no opportunities, and therefore I'm going to find a way to survive and so I'll become a part maybe of a sub-culture group with sub-culture values - I'll be a gang member."
New Jersey 101.5 FM - Jersey Lawmakers Get Set to Vote on In-State Tuition Rate Bill for Undocumented Aliens

Any predictions?
You are against state's rights? :confused:

Huh? This has nothing to do with state's rights. Immigration is supposed to be handled by the feds.

No I am against using taxpayer money to fund tuition for illegal aliens. I can accept a basic elementary education, some food for their kids, emergency care for their bleeding orphans whose parents die a fiery death, and even a free English language class. But NOT FRIGGIN COLLEGE!

How bout you Ravi? Would you accept paying $30K a year to send your kid to Rutgers, when illegal aliens can go for practically free? Would you be willing to give up financial aide and scholarship money so an illegal alien can have that opportunity? Would you be sad if your kid didn't get into the school of his/her choice, because the illegal aliens took 4000 extra spots? I would. And I would guess 95% of the public would too.

Huh? This has nothing to do with state's rights. Immigration is supposed to be handled by the feds.

No I am against using taxpayer money to fund tuition for illegal aliens. I can accept a basic elementary education, some food for their kids, emergency care for their bleeding orphans whose parents die a fiery death, and even a free English language class. But NOT FRIGGIN COLLEGE!

How bout you Ravi? Would you accept paying $30K a year to send your kid to Rutgers, when illegal aliens can go for practically free? Would you be willing to give up financial aide and scholarship money so an illegal alien can have that opportunity? Would you be sad if your kid didn't get into the school of his/her choice, because the illegal aliens took 4000 extra spots? I would. And I would guess 95% of the public would too.
My kids will get a break in the state they live in, and I have no problem with that. I've certainly paid enough taxes to deserve the tuition break...sales tax, property tax...IMO a state can do what a state wishes to do in this regard. The colleges are in the business of making money...and this is nothing more than a way to help them do so.

And...states are not legally or constitutionally obligated to enforce FEDERAL immigration policy.

Forum List

Back