NJ Governor acts like he MEANS what he says

New Jersey's personal income tax system consists of six brackets and a top rate of 8.97% kicking in at an income level of $500,000. Among states levying personal income taxes, New Jersey's top rate ranks 6th highest nationally. New Jersey's 2008 state-level individual income tax collections were $1,457 per person, which ranked 6th highest nationally.

The Tax Foundation - Tax Research Areas > New Jersey

NJ has always had a "millionaire's tax". To say they are not "sharing the sacrifice" is utter bullshit. Once again the progressives are spinning with misinformation.

6th place just isn't good enough when you are competing with California to be the first state to go bankrupt.

Then you would agree that leaving the millionaires alone and balancing the budget by distributing the sacrifice around to everyone BUT the millionaires is the right plan?

What are you talking about? They are already paying an outrageous amount PLUS the feds have already seen that they are punished further for their success. Federal income tax increases; healthcare bill... Hello? What's fair? 60% 70% 100%?

The state is broke. Thank goodness someone has the cajones to deal with it. Raising taxes is the Dem way. Christie is cutting govt. instead.

What are you talking about? They are already paying an outrageous amount PLUS the feds have already seen that they are punished further for their success. Federal income tax increases; healthcare bill... Hello? What's fair? 60% 70% 100%?

The state is broke. Thank goodness someone has the cajones to deal with it. Raising taxes is the Dem way. Christie is cutting govt. instead.

I asked you a question. I'll ask it again, simpler:

New Jersey is in a fiscal position where sacrifice, by the people, is needed to balance the budget.

Do you believe that New Jersey millionaires should be exempted from having to share in that sacrifice?

The governor vetoed 2 separate bills, one to raise the millionaire's tax, one to lower senior's taxes.

So we know the old people in NJ are expected to sacrifice for the sake of NJ's budget.

What will the millionaires have to sacrifice?

They already live in NJ...isn't that enough?

lol, New Jersey actually has some nice parts, outside the cities.

New Jersey is in a fiscal position where sacrifice, by the people, is needed to balance the budget.

Do you believe that New Jersey millionaires should be exempted from having to share in that sacrifice?

And I answered. They are already "sharing the sacrifice" in spades and have been since 2004. Christie campaigned on NO NEW TAXES. That might not mean shit to politicians, but to the people who elected him, it is important. It's really quite simple.

...new analysis of wealthy folks' movements into and out of New Jersey from 1999 through 2008. In all, the state suffered a $70 billion net outflow in wealth from 2004 through 2008, compared with a $98 billion net inflow in the prior five years. The Garden State's reversal in fortune was due to a large drop in the number of wealthy households entering the state and a moderate increase in the number of wealthy households leaving. (See: The United States Of Debt).

"I hadn't expected to see such a big decline in wealthy people moving in," said study author John Havens, senior associate director of the Center on Wealth and Philanthropy at Boston College.

The loss in wealth in New Jersey coincides with a notable state tax hike. In 2004 New Jersey was one of the first states to adopt a "millionaires" tax, imposing an 8.97% rate on income over a half-million dollars.

In June 2009 New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine pushed through a one-year tax hike for the rich that included a 10.25% rate on incomes over $500,000, and a 10.75% rate for incomes over $1 million. That gave New Jersey the second highest state income tax rate in the nation, until Oregon adopted an 11% rate, pushing New Jersey back to third. In November Corzine lost his bid for re-election to Republican Chris Christie who ran on a promise of income tax relief.

At the same time, New Jersey is one of only two states (Maryland is the other) with both a state estate tax and a state inheritance tax, making it less hospitable for older wealthy folks thinking about passing on wealth. Moreover, New Jersey exempts only $675,000 of each estate from its estate tax, the next to lowest exemption in the nation.
My husband and I have to work on plans on how "not to die" in NJ. Note to self...:cool:

Wealthy Avoid New Jersey - Forbes.com

Good Lord. I can't believe it.

This new Governor in NJ, Gov. Christie, is great.

The guy says what he means apparently and means what he says.

Check this one out: He just vetoed the new idiotic Dem attempt to soak the rich.

It took him TWO minutes! :lol:

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

N.J. Gov. Chris Christie swiftly vetoes 'millionaires tax,' property tax rebate bills | - NJ.com

My advice to Gov. Christie is to seriously start eating lettuce, get some exercise, get himself in tip-top physical shape and keep doing what he's doing.

Why oh why can't the Empire State take a lesson from the Garden State?

Bravo to Gov. Christie and Bravo to the rationality that overcame the business as usual practice of New Jersey voters. Excellent news over there in NJ!

This would almost be interesting if you weren't always so partisan in your praise, Liability.

Good Lord. I can't believe it.

This new Governor in NJ, Gov. Christie, is great.

The guy says what he means apparently and means what he says.

Check this one out: He just vetoed the new idiotic Dem attempt to soak the rich.

It took him TWO minutes! :lol:

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

N.J. Gov. Chris Christie swiftly vetoes 'millionaires tax,' property tax rebate bills | - NJ.com

My advice to Gov. Christie is to seriously start eating lettuce, get some exercise, get himself in tip-top physical shape and keep doing what he's doing.

Why oh why can't the Empire State take a lesson from the Garden State?

Bravo to Gov. Christie and Bravo to the rationality that overcame the business as usual practice of New Jersey voters. Excellent news over there in NJ!

This would almost be interesting if you weren't always so partisan in your praise, Liability.

Because it makes a enormous sense to praise the actions of folks with whom one disagrees?

This must explain why I always see such sterling objectivity from you. :cuckoo:

In any event, Sarah, as is so often the case with you, you are wrong and your "commentary" is biased and not factually premised.

I have praised President Obama, for example, when he has done some things of which I approve. I have even done so on THIS very message board on a few occasions.

But I never praise him for actions with which I disagree. You got me there.

You really are a bit :cuckoo:

And for the few hundred thousands over 65, disabled etc that looked forward to and in some cases needed that $1250 homestead rebate in New Jersey, sadly it appears that is history.

So long to New Jersey Homestead rebates | Commentary | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News.

I, and thousands of others will no longer see these rebates. I am not happy with this, as with many of my fellow seniors as we already suffer the highest or near that of property taxation and general cost of living. What ticks me the hell off is that the likes of the unions, NJEA etc are moaning and groaning about paying for their health care along with some other so called 'financial inconveniences' while that burden is on the backs of people like us.

If I am forced to give up that $1250 along with who knows what else is coming, then by god these arrogant greedy ingrates can 'suffer' right along with the rest of us. They seem to think they are above the rest of the residents and that they are owed these 'perks' My answer to them STFU, please! If my losing this money helps those who are legitimately under water, I gladly give it up, but not to those whose salaries and benefits are already in the 'golden zone'.

And for the few hundred thousands over 65, disabled etc that looked forward to and in some cases needed that $1250 homestead rebate in New Jersey, sadly it appears that is history.

So long to New Jersey Homestead rebates | Commentary | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News.

I, and thousands of others will no longer see these rebates. I am not happy with this, as with many of my fellow seniors as we already suffer the highest or near that of property taxation and general cost of living. What ticks me the hell off is that the likes of the unions, NJEA etc are moaning and groaning about paying for their health care along with some other so called 'financial inconveniences' while that burden is on the backs of people like us.

If I am forced to give up that $1250 along with who knows what else is coming, then by god these arrogant greedy ingrates can 'suffer' right along with the rest of us. They seem to think they are above the rest of the residents and that they are owed these 'perks' My answer to them STFU, please! If my losing this money helps those who are legitimately under water, I gladly give it up, but not to those whose salaries and benefits are already in the 'golden zone'.

Poor boo boo. Now maybe you see why the liberalDemocrat addicition to spending and taxing is not such a hopeful or helpful policy preference.

By the way, did you happen to notice the NAME of the Governor in that article and -- gee -- the DATE?

So long to New Jersey Homestead rebates
Friday, 22 May 2009 08:44

Now, then: TELL us what the liberal Democrat controlled legislature in NJ did about the NEW Governor's proposal to make the former "rebates" instead an instant "credit" on the tax forms?

Did the liberal Democrats agree to this or did they instead act like junkies seeking to make sure they got every fucking dime they could get?

Hm.

If you had a shred of honesty or character, you're question should be asked to the NJEA and other NJ unions whose percentage of the state budget have exploded.

Since the wealthy in NJ are already paying about the highest taxes in the US, why don't you ask the unions if THEY would be willing to give up 1% of their raise - or contribute a bit more to their health care/pensions so as to preserve the credit to seniors.

But then again, you're a troll so this will no doubt go right over your head... :eusa_whistle:

[
And I answered. They are already "sharing the sacrifice" in spades and have been since 2004. Christie campaigned on NO NEW TAXES. That might not mean shit to politicians, but to the people who elected him, it is important. It's really quite simple.

If he campaigned on no new taxes why is he raising taxes on seniors?

If you had a shred of honesty or character, you're question should be asked to the NJEA and other NJ unions whose percentage of the state budget have exploded.

Since the wealthy in NJ are already paying about the highest taxes in the US, why don't you ask the unions if THEY would be willing to give up 1% of their raise - or contribute a bit more to their health care/pensions so as to preserve the credit to seniors.

But then again, you're a troll so this will no doubt go right over your head... :eusa_whistle:

Ok, same question. If New Jersey's taxes are too high, why does the governor want to raise senior property taxes?

Ok, same question. If New Jersey's taxes are too high, why does the governor want to raise senior property taxes?

He doesn't, as I have already shown you.

It was the fucking liberal scumbag NJ Democratics who chose to raise the tax on seniors. Why not? They live. They breathe. They move. So tax 'em! Fucking liberal Democratics are so predictable.

What Gov. Christie, by contrast, sought to do was to make it a matter of an instant credit. That would be a complete wash with no rebate check issued but with an equal reduction in taxation.

You liberoidal Democratics are a very dishonest lot.

When I was a kid, the average CEO pay was 30 times the pay of the average worker. Now it's 300 to 400 times. And we are paying the lowest tax rates in 50 years.

The result? When a CEO can soak a company for 73 MILLION dollars, the way the CEO of Cigna did (just a single example), then were is the incentive to "grow" the company?

Answer - there is no incentive. No single person will ever be able to spend 73 million dollars. They can only throw it away. Or, they can give some of that unearned money back to the company to "grow" it. Or, they can give some of that money to the country to rebuild and make it a country where someone can build a fortune.

But Republicans, with their "myopic" view of the rich, don't see the obvious.

Well, surprise, rich people are not demi Gods who deserve "special privileges". All things good and Noble do NOT flow from "rich people".

Most rich people didn't even earn it.

The homestead rebate program costs over 10 million to administer A whole fucking bureaucracy set up to RETURN peoples money. Nothing more than snake oil and the fools believed it was govt charity. For such an educated and wealthy state some people sure are gullible.

When I was a kid, the average CEO pay was 30 times the pay of the average worker. Now it's 300 to 400 times. And we are paying the lowest tax rates in 50 years.

The result? When a CEO can soak a company for 73 MILLION dollars, the way the CEO of Cigna did (just a single example), then were is the incentive to "grow" the company?

Answer - there is no incentive. No single person will ever be able to spend 73 million dollars. They can only throw it away. Or, they can give some of that unearned money back to the company to "grow" it. Or, they can give some of that money to the country to rebuild and make it a country where someone can build a fortune.

But Republicans, with their "myopic" view of the rich, don't see the obvious.

Well, surprise, rich people are not demi Gods who deserve "special privileges". All things good and Noble do NOT flow from "rich people".

Most rich people didn't even earn it.

This IS in fact for you and President Obama, and maybe a pay czar, to decide.

Yes.

Good point.

And as long as we are granting them free rein to draw such lines, where is the "rich/poor" line this week?

If my wife and I work real hard and clear three hundred thousand, please let us know what small percentage we are entitled to keep? Will the result be the same at a quarter of a million? Or is one hundred thousand just too wealthy? Forty thousand? Is that the right number?

Please, let's have the President, the pay czar and you come up with the right number.

Many of us would like to do some planning. If that's still alright.

Good question. According to the feds, the line between good and evil starts at 250K.

I also asked "what's fair"? 60, 70, 100 percent? No answer.

Don't you just love when the redistributionits use CEO salaries to justify destroying small businesses? How many people are we talking about? How many live in NJ? Four?

Good question. According to the feds, the line between good and evil starts at 250K.

I also asked "what's fair"? 60, 70, 100 percent? No answer.

Don't you just love when the redistributionits use CEO salaries to justify destroying small businesses? How many people are we talking about? How many live in NJ? Four?

Well, thankfully, the child-king President (with no real world experience), his appointed (but not Senate confirmed) pay czar and the genius we all know and admire, rdean, will be able to TELL us all what is or isn't fair and where the lines have to be drawn. Under the circumstances, there can be no doubt that the bases for such distinctions will be crystal clear and compellingly and irrefutably logical! Thank goodness!

I suggest you put me on ignore.

Forum List

Back