NJ Dem Proposes.....Bicycle Tax?

It's about god damned time! I'm sick of being the only one who gets nailed at the pump to fill up my truck. Those hippy bike riding fools should pay up to use our public infrastructure. Municipalities are paying millions of dollars to install bike lanes all over the place so these IDIOTS don't get run over while riding back stoned from their drum circle. Tax those 2-wheel menaces at 30% and send a check to me.

If you wann a good insight into these folks, got to San Fran during Crtical Mass.

it's interesting that the D next to her name wasn't even mentioned until the end of the article. it certainly wasn't the lead.

can't you discuss ideas other than doing that?

if you didn't, i might say i thought the idea was goofy...

or i might not.

wouldn't it be more interesting to find out and have a real discussion than do the usual hack dance of no you aren't, yes you are...

Sorry Jillian but during the 8 years of Corzine, I believe there were 173? new or increased taxes here (no I don't have the link). We are #1 in taxation in just about every area. Do you honestly believe a Rep. would suggest such a ridiculous idea in this economy? Get real. Christie's in charge now.

I doubt if it will pass. But just when you think there is nothing left to tax but air...

The Swiss have a canine tax. (oops did I say that out loud). :eusa_shhh:

i think it is entirely possible for a republican to pass stupid taxes too... remember, i have bloomberg as mayor here... he may be an independent now, but when i voted for him the first time, he was a repub. and i don't have to tell you what things have been taxed here.

so i'd have rather talked about the issue... which i think is my point.

Bicyclists may have to get in line at the local Motor Vehicle Commission office, if a proposed bill becomes law.

The bill would require people to register their bicycles with the MVC or pay a fine of up to $100. Children younger than 15 could rely on their parents or guardians to register the bike for them.

If politician has her way, New Jersey bicyclists may have to pay to register bikes or face fines - pressofAtlanticCity.com: New Jersey News

Speechless...

The whole reason that the government can require fees as well as regulate features in vehicles is that they use public roads, and thus if you want to use said roads, you have to follow said regulations.

Going by this reason, what is the real difference between bikes and cars? Both are vehicles, and both when used to commute/travel use public roads. By logic the state can require certain features on the bikes, just as the cars, and can require thier registration/inspection to assure that the rules are followed.

I would, howver, say having to register bikes used by kids, or bikes for recreation, such as in parks, or on non roadways is pretty stupid.

Stick with that last part. ;) Ticketing not wearing a helmet, unsafe riders, or for traffic infractions, unsafe bike, go for it.

Bicyclists may have to get in line at the local Motor Vehicle Commission office, if a proposed bill becomes law.

The bill would require people to register their bicycles with the MVC or pay a fine of up to $100. Children younger than 15 could rely on their parents or guardians to register the bike for them.

If politician has her way, New Jersey bicyclists may have to pay to register bikes or face fines - pressofAtlanticCity.com: New Jersey News

Speechless...

I thought they wanted people to ride bikes.

This is, of course, the natural progression of the "green" push. If more people were to start riding bikes and taking public transportation that would be less gas tax revenue the states and feds would be getting, so they'd have to start taxing the green modes of transportation to make up for the short fall.

Speechless...

I could get behind it if the revenues generated from it went towards bike paths, or parks or what have you. I've often enjoyed the paths of the parks, and bike paths in the towns I've lived in when riding my bicycle. But since it seems aimed at generating revenue for the government, I can't really support the notion.

it's interesting that the D next to her name wasn't even mentioned until the end of the article. it certainly wasn't the lead.

or i might not.

wouldn't it be more interesting to find out and have a real discussion than do the usual hack dance of no you aren't, yes you are...

Sorry Jillian but during the 8 years of Corzine, I believe there were 173? new or increased taxes here (no I don't have the link). We are #1 in taxation in just about every area. Do you honestly believe a Rep. would suggest such a ridiculous idea in this economy? Get real. Christie's in charge now.

I doubt if it will pass. But just when you think there is nothing left to tax but air...

Shit Chanel, they want to start charging us for Fire Dept. response. I ain't going to be reporting much from my Cell anymore, I can see them coming after callers if the motorists refuse to pay, saying they never called. Dumb stupid reasoning that will cost lives because of delay.

Speechless...

The whole reason that the government can require fees as well as regulate features in vehicles is that they use public roads, and thus if you want to use said roads, you have to follow said regulations.

Going by this reason, what is the real difference between bikes and cars? Both are vehicles, and both when used to commute/travel use public roads. By logic the state can require certain features on the bikes, just as the cars, and can require thier registration/inspection to assure that the rules are followed.

I would, howver, say having to register bikes used by kids, or bikes for recreation, such as in parks, or on non roadways is pretty stupid.
The whole thing is stupid like the idea that the fake global warming is caused by carbon dioxide, bullshit.

or i might not.

i think it is entirely possible for a republican to pass stupid taxes too... remember, i have bloomberg as mayor here... he may be an independent now, but when i voted for him the first time, he was a repub. and i don't have to tell you what things have been taxed here.

so i'd have rather talked about the issue... which i think is my point.

It blows my mind that Bloomberg was ever a Rep. Or Schwartzeneger. But if you follow NJ politics, you wouldn't even need to read the party affiliation. It's sooooo obvious.

NJ Dems believe that money grows on trees. I'm surprised they haven't taxed them yet (oops - did it again!) :lol:

Once they put you in this position, a bike becomes a little luxury, a privilege that they can take away if you don't abide by certain rules. The person responsible for this legislation should be run out out town or something.

I agree. And as Jillian pointed out, NJ IS A TOURISM STATE! Hundreds of thousands of out of state visitors come here to enjoy our beaches and mountains. And lots of them ride bikes... If I spent a fortune on a vacation and then got a $100 ticket for riding an unregistered bicycle, I would certainly take my future business to DE or VA.

Stick with that last part. ;) Ticketing not wearing a helmet, unsafe riders, or for traffic infractions, unsafe bike, go for it.

The issue is that when it comes to cars, since you need to carry your license with you when driving, the police automatically can ID you for your infraction.

Being on a bike is different. We dont need to carry ID with us when just walking around biking, and any attempts to force a sort of national ID have always been met with resistance. Making bike registration mandatory is kind of an end run around it, as the bike has to be registered to someone, and that person can then get the ticket without forcing bikers to start trying to get a "biking licsence"

The issue is that when it comes to cars, since you need to carry your license with you when driving, the police automatically can ID you for your infraction.

Being on a bike is different. We dont need to carry ID with us when just walking around biking, and any attempts to force a sort of national ID have always been met with resistance. Making bike registration mandatory is kind of an end run around it, as the bike has to be registered to someone, and that person can then get the ticket without forcing bikers to start trying to get a "biking licsence"

Most Grown up's carry their ID when they leave home. Though it is not required you do realize that if something was to happen and you are arrested you can easily be held for 48-72 hours if over the weekend. If you were hurt or killed, at the least you could be more quickly identified. If you were involved in an accident and at fault, without ID you could be held. If you flee the scene, whether or not you could be Identified, the Police would still be looking for you with a description. I watched a old Lady get mugged on the News, caught on the security camera. There is a view of the Perp on camera, should we be forced to wear license plates on the subway now to generate revenue? Does that make you feel safe?

Most Grown up's carry their ID when they leave home. Though it is not required you do realize that if something was to happen and you are arrested you can easily be held for 48-72 hours if over the weekend. If you were hurt or killed, at the least you could be more quickly identified. If you were involved in an accident and at fault, without ID you could be held. If you flee the scene, whether or not you could be Identified, the Police would still be looking for you with a description. I watched a old Lady get mugged on the News, caught on the security camera. There is a view of the Perp on camera, should we be forced to wear license plates on the subway now to generate revenue? Does that make you feel safe?

A person using the subway isnt operating the vehicle, the guy running it sure as hell is wearing his liscense plate (badge #).

I dont want people to be forced to carry ID, but I also see that if bikes are used for the purpose of commuting, the state wants to know that the bikes using public roads are in good condition and regulated, as they are now part of the traffic flow.

I am suprised at the resistance to this considering that I assume a substantial part of the biking to work community are left leaning in outlook, arent they big fans of governemnt regulation and increased income?

Again, I think this should only apply to bikes used to commute, in urban settings. You dont have to do this if you are a kid, or biking down in the Pine Barrens.

its a money grab plain and simple some folks don't like to or appear to learn, when the gov. tells you its for your own good and it only requires a small fee, 7 out of 10, you are about to be smothered with government love, and all the love they want back is greenbacks.

A person using the subway isnt operating the vehicle, the guy running it sure as hell is wearing his liscense plate (badge #).

I dont want people to be forced to carry ID, but I also see that if bikes are used for the purpose of commuting, the state wants to know that the bikes using public roads are in good condition and regulated, as they are now part of the traffic flow.

I am suprised at the resistance to this considering that I assume a substantial part of the biking to work community are left leaning in outlook, arent they big fans of governemnt regulation and increased income?

Again, I think this should only apply to bikes used to commute, in urban settings. You dont have to do this if you are a kid, or biking down in the Pine Barrens.

Out of context. Passengers are not operating Trains, yet still, if intelligent, carry ID. They should not have to wear license plates. Bicyclists if intelligent, have ID. Bicyclists can be ticketed for unsafe or illegal practices while operating or riding a bike. They are subject to the same rules of the road as cars and pedestrians. With out ID, you can go to jail for a ticket. Think about it. Why do you need more fee's and Bureaucracy?

Forum List

Back