NJ blogger found guilty of making Internet threats

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
A New Jersey blogger being tried for a third time has been convicted of making threats against federal appeals court judges in Illinois. A New York City jury deliberated less than two hours Friday before finding Hal Turner guilty of making death threats.

The three judges from the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals testified during the trial in Brooklyn that they were alerted by their staffs in 2009 to postings by Turner protesting their ruling supporting gun control.

Turner wrote, "These judges must die." He also posted their photos and work addresses.

The defense had argued that Turner's rants were "political trash talk" protected by the First Amendment.

Two previous trials ended in hung juries.

FOXNews.com - NJ blogger found guilty of making Internet threats against federal appeals judges in Illinois

Interesting case. Three times a charm?

Testifying in his own defense, Turner said he was a paid FBI informant who was trying to "flush out" dangerous neo-Nazi and white supremacist members of his audience on behalf of the government. He claimed his handler encouraged commentary on the 2005 slaying of the mother and husband of another federal judge in Chicago.

The FBI wanted him "to make fun of the killing, to publicly say things that might induce folks to confide in me because they thought I was an ally," he said.

Seriously? The FBI did this?

A New Jersey blogger being tried for a third time has been convicted of making threats against federal appeals court judges in Illinois. A New York City jury deliberated less than two hours Friday before finding Hal Turner guilty of making death threats.

The three judges from the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals testified during the trial in Brooklyn that they were alerted by their staffs in 2009 to postings by Turner protesting their ruling supporting gun control.

Turner wrote, "These judges must die." He also posted their photos and work addresses.

The defense had argued that Turner's rants were "political trash talk" protected by the First Amendment.

Two previous trials ended in hung juries.

FOXNews.com - NJ blogger found guilty of making Internet threats against federal appeals judges in Illinois

Interesting case. Three times a charm?
fuck his bullshit defense:

I would have given him the death penalty.:evil:

Of course you would have. But for nornal humans, a stiff penalty - maybe a little jail, major fines etc. might be a message to others that death threats are not protected. I know - I hate the Constitution. Lol Where's modbert?

Of course you would have. But for nornal humans, a stiff penalty - maybe a little jail, major fines etc. might be a message to others that death threats are not protected. I know - I hate the Constitution. Lol Where's modbert?

the penalty is not about sending a message to others. It may have that effect, but absent that idea, punishment has something to do with being held to account.

Forum List

Back