Nixon was the best President we ever had.

You are a smart man Kevin. You can do better than trying to shine up Jefferson's past. You wouldn't do that with Lincoln etc, but you do it with Jefferson.

In a lot of ways, Jefferson and Nixon had a lot in common, both personality wise and politically. Both men where conniving backroom backbiters. Both men held venomous grudges, focused on personal glory, lied, and allowed partisan politics to get the best of them both in action and in policy.

While no President has been perfect, Jefferson and Nixon are, in my opinion, far removed from being any kind of example to aspire to, when it comes to President.

I'm not attempting to shine up Jefferson's Presidency. I say he's better than most of the others, I didn't say he was a good President. Who would you say was the best, if I may ask?

I don't believe such a man exist, if we are to use the Constitution itself as the benchmark.

I'd say we're in agreement, then. However, my point was that Jefferson and Cleveland were among the best in that regard. They weren't great, but of all the Presidents I'd say they top the list.

Forum List

Back