Nine Inch Nails Concert

The ClayTaurus

Sep 19, 2005
So I went to the NIN concert last night. I skipped the first opening band, which was described as "Bass, drums, and the occasional Moog squelch"
(no thanks)

Queens of the Stone Age were the middle act, and while I love their stuff, it doesn't translate well to an arena... either that or they did a crappy job of performing it.

Nine Inch Nails were suprisingly better than I thought they'd be. I think the best song came early in the show, when he did "Terrible Lie" but there were other good NIN renditions as well. In general, the older stuff that was a result of his drug addictions was much better than the new, sober shit he's been putting out.

Anyone else seen NIN on tour?

The ClayTaurus said:
So I went to the NIN concert last night. I skipped the first opening band, which was described as "Bass, drums, and the occasional Moog squelch"
(no thanks)

Queens of the Stone Age were the middle act, and while I love their stuff, it doesn't translate well to an arena... either that or they did a crappy job of performing it.

Nine Inch Nails were suprisingly better than I thought they'd be. I think the best song came early in the show, when he did "Terrible Lie" but there were other good NIN renditions as well. In general, the older stuff that was a result of his drug addictions was much better than the new, sober shit he's been putting out.

Anyone else seen NIN on tour?
I've seen Trent and flood (NIN) twice.
Got to see em way back in the day (before the downward spiral album)
with the Jim Rose circus sideshow. Ya we were going to skip the first band
too but the show was an hour away and we got there early so we said what
the heck. Back then, no one knew who Marlyn Manson was but we liked it.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
I've seen Trent and flood (NIN) twice.
Got to see em way back in the day (before the downward spiral album)
with the Jim Rose circus sideshow. Ya we were going to skip the first band
too but the show was an hour away and we got there early so we said what
the heck. Back then, no one knew who Marlyn Manson was but we liked it.

For as freakish as Manson is, he puts on a hell of a show. He's definitely got the entertainment side down.

My friend saw them in Atlanta a few days ago. He said they were really good, but it was weird that almost half the audience was over 40.

And, I agree Reznor's stuff was better when he was on the dope. The problem with his style of songwriting is that it works fine when you're a strung-out twenty-four year old, but now that the dude's in his early 40's, the angst just seems a little forced. I see the same thing happening with Marilyn Manson eventually.

I loved Songs for the Deaf, but the new album is just so-so. I think the influence of Dave Grohl on Songs for the Deaf is pretty obvious, but I think Nick Oliveri (was that the bass player's name?) was more important to the band than the lead singer realized.

And, I think you're sort of right that they're stuff isn't really arena material. Stoner rock shouldn't have an audience of more than a couple hundred people.

Dan said:
My friend saw them in Atlanta a few days ago. He said they were really good, but it was weird that almost half the audience was over 40.

And, I agree Reznor's stuff was better when he was on the dope. The problem with his style of songwriting is that it works fine when you're a strung-out twenty-four year old, but now that the dude's in his early 40's, the angst just seems a little forced. I see the same thing happening with Marilyn Manson eventually.

Yeah, there were a lot of older folks there. I wonder if Nine Inch Nails will turn into the next Rolling Stones...

Dan said:
I loved Songs for the Deaf, but the new album is just so-so. I think the influence of Dave Grohl on Songs for the Deaf is pretty obvious, but I think Nick Oliveri (was that the bass player's name?) was more important to the band than the lead singer realized.

And, I think you're sort of right that they're stuff isn't really arena material. Stoner rock shouldn't have an audience of more than a couple hundred people.

Dead on, although I still like the new album.

I'll take 2 insane statements about music for $500, Alex...

First of all, the Rolling Stones suck.

Second, I can definetely see Trent making music for 30 more years.

As for 30 years, we'll see. I think it depends on how long he lives, because he will make music till he dies. Of that I've no doubt. 40 now, +30 = 70. I can see him doing that easy.

As for the Rolling Stones, they fucking suck. "Hey, we wrote one cool song 40 years ago, lets keep touring until people realize we're dead and try to bury us." Other than 'Paint it Black' their crap is tired, uninspired, dissonant garbage.

Who lists the Stones as their inspiration? No one. It's always the Beatles or Zeppelin of the Doors. Even the Who. But the Stones? Who did they inspire? What great musicians today trace their musical style back to the Stones?

They're nothing but a bunch of hacks. A sad imitation of the Beatles at first, a sad imitation of other more succesful bands later on.

The Greatest Rock & Roll band of all time? Yeah, and Howard's the King of All Media and I'm the Emperor of the Universe.

Even that mouth/tongue symbol is dumb. They're the Aerosmith of the 60's.

Zhukov said:
As for 30 years, we'll see. I think it depends on how long he lives, because he will make music till he dies. Of that I've no doubt. 40 now, +30 = 70. I can see him doing that easy.

As for the Rolling Stones, they fucking suck. "Hey, we wrote one cool song 40 years ago, lets keep touring until people realize we're dead and try to bury us." Other than 'Paint it Black' their crap is tired, uninspired, dissonant garbage.

Who lists the Stones as their inspiration? No one. It's always the Beatles or Zeppelin of the Doors. Even the Who. But the Stones? Who did they inspire? What great musicians today trace their musical style back to the Stones?

They're nothing but a bunch of hacks. A sad imitation of the Beatles at first, a sad imitation of other more succesful bands later on.

The Greatest Rock & Roll band of all time? Yeah, and Howard's the King of All Media and I'm the Emperor of the Universe.

They're more entertainers than musical inspiration.

They write feel-good music. Songs with 3 chords and great pop sensibility that everyone can sing along to, drunk or sober.

Zhukov said:

I agree

"Will You Bite The Hand That Feeds" is pure garbage. Other than that I've never listened to any of their other or older stuff. I vaguely remember a couple of songs from the early to mid 90s.

I like The Hand That Feeds. In fact With Teeth is in my car CD player right now. I wouldn't call it his best album, in fact it might be his worst (real album, I won't include the plethora of remix albums), but I still like it and in my opinion Trent at his worst is still a great deal better than the majority of crap being produced today.

Zhukov said:
Back to an earlier point, Manson puts on a great show. Better than anyone else I've seen, including those whose music I prefer.
It was a REAL treat to see him with NIN and the Jim Rose Side show.

Hagbard Celine said:
"Will You Bite The Hand That Feeds" is pure garbage. Other than that I've never listened to any of their other or older stuff. I vaguely remember a couple of songs from the early to mid 90s.
The new album is ok, but it doesn't hold a flame to the downward spiral.
Which doesn't hold a flame to Pretty Hate Machine. Seems the further back
you go, the better the music. The same could also be said about Metallica.

I don't know. I think Downward is far superior to PHM. I really liked the Fragile too, and would have to put that above PHM as well.

I tell ya what tho, it's been awhile since I listened to PHM. I think I will tonight.

Forum List

Back