Nihilism

Here's where I think we both made an error (in the nihilistic perspective, that is). The idea that life is meaningless is more associated with the idea that objectivity cannot not exist (objectively). Therefore, how could meaning objectively exist (in a nihilistic perspective)? A nihilist would argue that meaning is entirely subjective and that people create and apply meaning according to their own perspectives (you know... "existence precedes essence").

Does that make any sense?

Sorta--Did you ever read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance ?

Yes, I love that book. It's one of the main reasons why I began to investigate nihilism (as well as Buddhism).

good stuff---not sure the concept of what we are talking about has a name but it reminds me of that. Quality. Real quality.

Sorta--Did you ever read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance ?

Yes, I love that book. It's one of the main reasons why I began to investigate nihilism (as well as Buddhism).

good stuff---not sure the concept of what we are talking about has a name but it reminds me of that. Quality. Real quality.

Yea, there is an existentialist phrase that I quoted earlier that describes this concept: "existence precedes essence."

If I remember correctly, the main character spoke about how subjectivity lies within perception and how existence (of anything... a concept, an observation, etc) lies within our perception. I believe he used the discovery of gravity as an example, but I'm not entirely sure. It's been a while since I've read it.

Last edited:
"God is dead." :)lol:)

Anyways, what are your thoughts on it?

I consider myself a passive nihilist with roots in existential and moral nihilism (although I'm not entirely sure yet... I still need to explore a little further).

Here's a general idea of what it is:
n. 1.a) the denial of the existence of any basis for knowledge or truth
b) the general rejection of customary beliefs in morality, religion, etc.
2. the belief that there is no meaning or purpose in existence

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhRUe-gz690]Black Knight - YouTube[/ame]

Nihilism is an imaginary construct invented so that cocktail parties will be more interesting than just getting drunk with bunch of strangers.

Forum List

Back