night vision goggles for seat belts!

-=d=- said:
Taxation via Citation. :(

I can't believe the public stands for such tactics.

Me neither. Americans will tolerate having money taking away from them. Creating a law that restricts freedom and then enforcing it to increase revenue is bizarre. I wear seatbelts because I think they provide me some safety but having cops FINE people for not using them is a waste of law enforcement. And the feds blackmail states by threatening to withhold highway funds ( our own money) if they don't place restrictions on thier citizens.Face it--it's a tax. If you need some bucks, make a law and fine those who break it----even if they don't know the law exists.

Mr. P said:
First, this is not about punishment, nor spying it's about enforcement
of LAW
. My guess is you're against a cop parking out of sight while clocking traffic too, right?
It's not fair, right? How about the road-blocks to catch DUI drivers? Fair?
All of these things protect the innocent from the idiots. It's all about enforcement of the LAW.

It's about enforcement of stupid laws. If we just got rid of the idiots, we wouldn't have to waste our resources protecting ourselves from the idiots.

If a person on first offense had to automatically go to jail for one whole year for driving under the influence, don't you think that would clean up the roads practically overnight?

Instead of police using night vision goggles to see if somebody fastened their stupid seat belt, how about they use the goggles to watch people leaving bars at night? Nail the drunks and send them to the slammer for a year. Think that might prevent accidents?

I don't have a problem with DUI checks in areas or activities that have problems. Clean the idiot drivers off the roads. Throw away the key for repeat cases. Road problems will be reduced to practically nothing and many, many lives will be saved and your insurance premiums will drop. Nobody will even need a frikkin' seat belt.

Go after the guilty, not the innocent.

ScreamingEagle said:
It's about enforcement of stupid laws. If we just got rid of the idiots, we wouldn't have to waste our resources protecting ourselves from the idiots.

If a person on first offense had to automatically go to jail for one whole year for driving under the influence, don't you think that would clean up the roads practically overnight?

Instead of police using night vision goggles to see if somebody fastened their stupid seat belt, how about they use the goggles to watch people leaving bars at night? Nail the drunks and send them to the slammer for a year. Think that might prevent accidents?

I don't have a problem with DUI checks in areas or activities that have problems. Clean the idiot drivers off the roads. Throw away the key for repeat cases. Road problems will be reduced to practically nothing and many, many lives will be saved and your insurance premiums will drop. Nobody will even need a frikkin' seat belt.

Go after the guilty, not the innocent.

Problem is that we need people to drink to get tax money (smoke too)----we are dependent on these taxes. Addictive substances are good targets for taxation.

I'll tell you what scares me:

It is illegal to use heat seeking devices to "search" peoples houses. For instance, the police want to use those devices to see who is growing ganja. It is illegal, thus not admissable, because it goes beyond the expectation of privacy. There are various reasonings behind this, but the main one is - the general public does not have access to such equipment, thus would not expect to have their privacy invaded in this manner.

Contrast this with binoculars. This is, because the general public has loads of binoculars and thus expects them to be used. Airplane peek-a-boos, same thing, the public should expect this.

The public at it stands today does not have mass availability of such devices.

My point is this:

At one time those types of goggles might have been considered illegal for the reasons stated above. Now, they appear (tho have to wait for trials as I think this might be the first instance) to be OK. Next step? Heat seekers looking into your house for ganja growers.

Do I support ganja growers, that is beside the point. The point is, as Screamingeagle said:

The "brave new world" is closing in on us more every day

Pale has a good point about race car driver seat belts. However, those belts are 5 point to the standard 2 point in most if not all cars/trucks. In addition, those cars have reinforced bars surrounding the cage. Something I personally would not mind. Though, I am not sure I would want to put a 5 point harness on everytime I went out.

Do you think a 2 point harness would end the same results for race car drivers. Probably not.

So the next question is, should we go to 5 point harness?

Me:

My dad's life was saved by a seatbelt. He and his girlyfriend were in CO and hit black ice, slid, went over embankment, rolled over. When the paramedics, police came - they were simply stuck upside down with no injuries.

Aunt lost a close friend because she wore a seat belt. Same car, aunt not wearing the seat belt. Head on.

Forum List

Back