Nick Saban is the greatest football coach ever

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
Last nights National Championship makes it plain. Coach Saban is the greatest of all time.

I am sure some people will bring up some of the greats from years ago. But most of them had virtually unlimited numbers of scholarships. Most of them played the regular season and 1 bowl game. And the parity among the teams was not even close to what it is today.

One of the criticisms of Saban was that he is too rigid. Another is that he can't play up tempo and he can't beat up temp teams. Saban himself even argued against faster games and the up tempo play.

But he has adapted. He has changed his focus, both defensively and offensively.

And he has made some gutsy calls in the last few years. The onside kick against Clemson 2 years ago was not only gutsy, it was totally unlike Nick Saban. Last night, he benched a QB that was 25-2. One that got them to 2 Championship games. And he put in a true freshman who had not taken a meaningful snap in a college football game in his life.

Since coming to Alabama in 2007 he has won 5 national championships. 6 different teams duting that time have won 1 each.

He has won 6 national championship with 8 different coordinators under him. That is another amazing stat. Most coaches that have a good run do it with a consistent staff. Saban has had numerous coaches move on to head coaching jobs, taking his "secrets" with them. Nick is 12-0 against those former assistants.

Since coming to Alabama, Saban has won 132 games (5 were vacated - but he won them). That is an AVERAGE of 12 games per season.

I grew up idolizing Bear Bryant. And Bear was a great coach. But Saban has done more, with more restrictions, greater competition, and more parity in the league.

Last nights National Championship makes it plain. Coach Saban is the greatest of all time.

I am sure some people will bring up some of the greats from years ago. But most of them had virtually unlimited numbers of scholarships. Most of them played the regular season and 1 bowl game. And the parity among the teams was not even close to what it is today.

One of the criticisms of Saban was that he is too rigid. Another is that he can't play up tempo and he can't beat up temp teams. Saban himself even argued against faster games and the up tempo play.

And he has made some gutsy calls in the last few years. The onside kick against Clemson 2 years ago was not only gutsy, it was totally unlike Nick Saban. Last night, he benched a QB that was 25-2. One that got them to 2 Championship games. And he put in a true freshman who had not taken a meaningful snap in a college football game in his life.

Since coming to Alabama in 2007 he has won 5 national championships. 6 different teams duting that time have won 1 each.

He has won 6 national championship with 8 different coordinators under him. That is another amazing stat. Most coaches that have a good run do it with a consistent staff. Saban has had numerous coaches move on to head coaching jobs, taking his "secrets" with them. Nick is 12-0 against those former assistants.

Since coming to Alabama, Saban has won 132 games (5 were vacated - but he won them). That is an AVERAGE of 12 games per season.

I grew up idolizing Bear Bryant. And Bear was a great coach. But Saban has done more, with more restrictions, greater competition, and more parity in the league.

Gotta agree WB. His accomplishments won’t be matched in the next 100 years.

If they ever build a Mount Rushmore for CFB coaches he should be the central figure.

Alabama is a gang of fokking cheaters who play dirty football.

It used to be Oklahoma.

Now' it's Alabama.

It used to be Oklahoma.

Now' it's Alabama.

Another one who calls us cheaters. I guess you won't have any actual evidence of cheating either. Just wild accusations.

Sorry, that is worthless.

Slight flaws losing to Clemson last year, Utah one year and OSU one year. He is not perfect. but 2017 was pretty darn convincing. bestvof his era? Yes. All-time? Probably? Tough to say.

Utah is 11-1 in bowl games. Maybe he's the best?

It used to be Oklahoma.

Now' it's Alabama.

You have slung that around before, never going into detail. So, either put up or shut up. How do they cheat? Proof and details, and not your opinion.

It used to be Oklahoma.

Now' it's Alabama.

You have slung that around before, never going into detail. So, either put up or shut up. How do they cheat? Proof and details, and not your opinion.

You will see a lot of that. Accusations with no specifics. Haters are gonna hate. They have to think Bama is cheating. Otherwise, their favorite team is just losing.

Well....could be faked class? Lying on ages? Steroids? Girls? cheating on Grades? Cars? Jobs? Money? Parents get a new home? Friends-relatives get accepted?

Hello? Do you remember North Carolina recently? Maybe LouisVille? Yes, it happens. 30 year old "JC" transfer suddenly appears when they need a linebacker.

ALA? Would not surprise me if something was found out? would not dig too deep, you don't want to know. George Rogers was a "College Graduate".....he could barely speak the English language.

Last edited:
He's not my favorite play caller, though definitely a play caller who knows how to win with the teams he puts together. Holy shit, though, that guy's got an eye for talent and a talent for recruiting it. Even scooped a badass run and shoot quarterback from Hawaii out from under the Pac schools! As much as I dislike Saban for his "the game needs to be slowed down!" comments, I'd say he's gotta be at least a top contender for that GOAT NCAA football coach title.

I was really hoping Chip Kelly would take the Florida job, I would've loved to see those two guys shooting it out every other year.

Sheesh you dislike him because of THAT?? It's only his opinion, and he adapted.

hmmm Who did take the Fl job? Oh..was it Mullins?

Sheesh you dislike him because of THAT?? It's only his opinion, and he adapted.

hmmm Who did take the Fl job? Oh..was it Mullins?

It was just a pussy complaint by my standards. He was complaining about a play calling style against which he, in particular, would find himself at a disadvantage, and framing it as an issue of player health. Struck me as weak and disingenuous. I'm also a huge fan of the style in question, though, so take my biased opinion with a grain of salt. UO Ducks games when Chip Kelly was at the helm were, in my opinion, some of the most exciting events in all of sports. That 2 minute offense the whole game, unpredictable play calling style with emphasis on raw speed and unbelievably effective deception, Aliotti with the 2nd half shutdowns. . . those games were incredibly fun to watch. I'd be lying if I said that didn't play into my general dislike for Saban.

The man is an amazing coach though, I won't deny that.

He's not my favorite play caller, though definitely a play caller who knows how to win with the teams he puts together. Holy shit, though, that guy's got an eye for talent and a talent for recruiting it. Even scooped a badass run and shoot quarterback from Hawaii out from under the Pac schools! As much as I dislike Saban for his "the game needs to be slowed down!" comments, I'd say he's gotta be at least a top contender for that GOAT NCAA football coach title.

I was really hoping Chip Kelly would take the Florida job, I would've loved to see those two guys shooting it out every other year.

One of the things I like most about Saban is that, while he may dislike something, like the fast paced offense, he will adapt and use it.

Yeah, he can recruit like nobody else. The depth of talent at Alabama is phenomenal.

if you say so....

Coach Saban is the greatest of all time.
Total BS! When this fool was the coach of the Miami Dolphins, he passed on signing Drew Brees as the phins quarterback. Would you call that a move by the greatest coach of all times?

Forum List

Back