Nice Voter Supression Drive Going On In South Carolina

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
it sure is nice to spread disinformation to try to prevent black folks from going out there and voting now isn't it?

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/breaking_news/10050609.htm

Posted on Fri, Oct. 29, 2004

NAACP, election officials caution voters of bogus letter

JENNIFER HOLLAND

Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. - Charleston County election officials cautioned South Carolinians on Friday to steer clear of a fake letter that threatens the arrest of voters who have outstanding parking tickets or have failed to pay child support.

"I'm outraged," said Jill Miller, director of the Charleston County Board of Election and Voter Registration. "This is so bogus."

The one-page letter poses as a message from the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

The Rev. Joe Darby, vice president of the state NAACP chapter, said he received the letter at his home in Charleston. It had Columbia postmark with no return address.

He said the letter was an attempt to scare minorities from voting Tuesday because the author of the message assumes black people are in trouble with the law.

"This is old South Carolina politics," said Darby. "I don't think anybody will fall for this."

Darby said he wants the State Law Enforcement Division to investigate.

The letter says voters must have a credit check, provide two forms of photo identification, a Social Security card, a voter registration card as well as a handwriting sample.

"None of that is true," said Miller. "I certainly hope no voter would be taken in by this."

All voters need is one of the following: a voter registration card, a South Carolina driver's license, or a South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles-issued photo identification card.

Miller said she has heard of other voter scams that try to corrupt the process. Many people have complained about a door-to-door campaign, where the person encourages voters to cast "early ballots," she said.

People can vote absentee if they qualify, such as being out of town on election day or kept from the polls because of work.

They hope to get the black vote out to the polls by making them angry about some slight that didn't happen.

This is simple partisan race-baiting on the part of the NAACP. (They wouldn't do that would they? :rolleyes: )

I don't think it will work that well for them. The assumption is lots would have tickets and that they do not pay child support. The NAACP is assuming some stuff it probably shouldn't, and I thought they were all "PC".

Nobody "received" this letter they wrote it to themselves.

Many Years ago while Working For the State of Iowa I became Friends with a Nice old republican named Phil. my Friend had been Reading some Books by Gary Allen about conspiracy Theory. while the Information was So intense and persuasive that It was Even Nauseating, it Made me Think and Wonder.

Eventually we Learned that It was Mainly Trash!

Some republican Tactics remind me of the Spurious Writers of the Anti Jewish Protocols Of the Elders of Zion.

no1tovote4 said:
They hope to get the black vote out to the polls by making them angry about some slight that didn't happen.

This is simple partisan race-baiting on the part of the NAACP. (They wouldn't do that would they? :rolleyes: )

I don't think it will work that well for them. The assumption is lots would have tickets and that they do not pay child support. The NAACP is assuming some stuff it probably shouldn't, and I thought they were all "PC".

really? funny the same thing is happening in wisconsin

http://milwaukee.indymedia.org/images/2004/10/202046.jpg

i guess to believe this kind of thing happens, you have to witness it. i saw it happen in baltimore in 2002, and in florida in 2000. i went to a HBCU where many of the students were given the run around about their voting rights when they tried to register, while their white counterparts at the white college across the way had no such problems.

how i wish the world were as color blind as the military is, but its not. fear and supression are not new phenonomona, in fact they're old and tired dirty tricks.

Old Bowler said:
Many Years ago while Working For the State of Iowa I became Friends with a Nice old republican named Phil. my Friend had been Reading some Books by Gary Allen about conspiracy Theory. while the Information was So intense and persuasive that It was Even Nauseating, it Made me Think and Wonder.

Eventually we Learned that It was Mainly Trash!

Some republican Tactics remind me of the Spurious Writers of the Anti Jewish Protocols Of the Elders of Zion.

Prove this was a republican tactic or recant you claim

and please notice i do not accuse the GOP of doing this. this is misguided idiots trying to win the election for their party, not the party directing it and doing it.

ignorance has no exclusive party.

The left is screaming "voter-intimidation" at every turn. I have one question.

Why is asking for a valid ID to prove that whom you say you are is who you really are, voter intimidation?

freeandfun1 said:

Why is asking for a valid ID to prove that whom you say you are is who you really are, voter intimidation?

no problem with the ID but a credit check, 2 IDS, a social security card and a handwriting sample? hell naw

The letter says voters must have a credit check, provide two forms of photo identification, a Social Security card, a voter registration card as well as a handwriting sample.

freeandfun1 said:

According to the left, I don't think you have to prove intimidation--you just have to claim it. Apparently they think they have the lawyer advantage and prefer to battle this out in the courts.

NATO AIR said:
really? funny the same thing is happening in wisconsin

http://milwaukee.indymedia.org/images/2004/10/202046.jpg

i guess to believe this kind of thing happens, you have to witness it. i saw it happen in baltimore in 2002, and in florida in 2000. i went to a HBCU where many of the students were given the run around about their voting rights when they tried to register, while their white counterparts at the white college across the way had no such problems.

how i wish the world were as color blind as the military is, but its not. fear and supression are not new phenonomona, in fact they're old and tired dirty tricks.

That's what makes dirty backwards propaganda like this work so well. I do not say that they don't ever happen just not in this case. It must be just an incredible coincidence that according to the report he has been the only person to "receive" this letter. That could be because he just came up with the idea and wrote it recently.

And once again the assumption is that Blacks have more parking tickets and pay child support less often. To me that is a horrific and disgusting stereotype that has no basis in fact. The "letter" (self-written backward propaganda) is only pointed at blacks because the NAACP says it is, not because this was written by any republican. I need more evidence than the word of this guy.

You shouldn't fall for everything just because it supports a previous opinion or assertion. Attempt an objective look at this report rather than assuming the guy tells the truth because he is part of the NAACP, they are just as prone to politics as any other political organization and would most definitely stoop to this level.

no1tovote4 said:
That's what makes dirty backwards propaganda like this work so well. I do not say that they don't ever happen just not in this case. It must be just an incredible coincidence that according to the report he has been the only person to "receive" this letter. That could be because he just came up with the idea and wrote it recently.

And once again the assumption is that Blacks have more parking tickets and pay child support less often. To me that is a horrific and disgusting stereotype that has no basis in fact. The "letter" (self-written backward propaganda) is only pointed at blacks because the NAACP says it is, not because this was written by any republican. I need more evidence than the word of this guy.

You shouldn't fall for everything just because it supports a previous opinion or assertion. Attempt an objective look at this report rather than assuming the guy tells the truth because he is part of the NAACP, they are just as prone to politics as any other political organization and would most definitely stoop to this level.

that's a cop-out.

i don't care what the NAACP says, to me they have nothing to do with it. If you and I were to go down there today and ask folks if they'd seen this kind of thing, I bet we'd get some affirmatives. This is dirty tricks, a kind that supresses the vote. It is not done by the Republicans, but by some wayward idiot who thinks doing this will do his side some good.

the same thing happened in wisconsin, and i'm sure in other areas like michigan, ohio, florida and NC. its not surprising, stuff like this has been happening for decades.

NATO AIR said:
that's a cop-out.

i don't care what the NAACP says, to me they have nothing to do with it. If you and I were to go down there today and ask folks if they'd seen this kind of thing, I bet we'd get some affirmatives. This is dirty tricks, a kind that supresses the vote. It is not done by the Republicans, but by some wayward idiot who thinks doing this will do his side some good.

the same thing happened in wisconsin, and i'm sure in other areas like michigan, ohio, florida and NC. its not surprising, stuff like this has been happening for decades.

That's a cop-out! This works both ways, and if you and I were to go down there and ask they would tell you that it does as well.

Sometimes the shortest route takes you there not only quickest but correctly. Had hundreds brought the letters there rather than him suddenly "receiving" it I would be more likely to believe his story. However, once again the assumption is that blacks have more tickets and pay child support less often and therefore the "letter" was sent to "intimidate" only blacks. That is garbage, there is no evidence that blacks have more tickets or that they don't pay their child support. And even less evidence that this letter was widely circulated.

Look at more than just what the guy says, look at other instances and see the differences.

I would be more likely to believe it if the complaint came from the populace to them rather than from them to the populace. It appears to me like backwards propaganda being used to get out the vote than it does like any intimidation.

I understand that stuff like that actually does happen, I just don't see enough evidence in this case.

no1tovote4 said:

unless you have some kind of evidence to support that, its :bs1:

i have never discounted any of the voter surpression stories (From a demo or GOP side), because I know there are enough idiots and partisan zealots out there that damn near 9 out of 10 stories are true. its sad, but that is the state of american politics today.

no1tovote4 said:

Couldnt have said it better myself. Im sick and tired of Democrats trying to say Blacks at the only ones breaking the law. its just sickening.

NATO AIR said:
unless you have some kind of evidence to support that, its :bs1:

i have never discounted any of the voter surpression stories (From a demo or GOP side), because I know there are enough idiots and partisan zealots out there that damn near 9 out of 10 stories are true. its sad, but that is the state of american politics today.

That's fair enough, but if you believe that you must also be able to see my side in this one. I think they are attempting to use people's perceptions of the GOP (of which I am not a member) rather than giving an honest account here.

If you truly can see it both ways as you say just assuming that my opinion in this manner is BS is exactly that an assumption there is no more evidence for the other side of this than this guy's word.

no1tovote4 said:
That's fair enough, but if you believe that you must also be able to see my side in this one. I think they are attempting to use people's perceptions of the GOP (of which I am not a member) rather than giving an honest account here.

If you truly can see it both ways as you say just assuming that my opinion in this manner is BS is exactly that an assumption there is no more evidence for the other side of this than this guy's word.

whoa you accused the guy of writing the letter himself, with no evidence at all to support it.

i'm accusing zealots of doing this, of which there is substantial historical and modern evidence of. its been going on for decades.

i am not saying your OPINION in the matter is BS, i'm saying your baseless claim that he wrote it himself is BS.

NATO AIR said:
whoa you accused the guy of writing the letter himself, with no evidence at all to support it.

i'm accusing zealots of doing this, of which there is substantial historical and modern evidence of. its been going on for decades.

i am not saying your OPINION in the matter is BS, i'm saying your baseless claim that he wrote it himself is BS.

It's an opinion. Nothing more, I could be wrong but there is no evidence that supports your opinion over mine in this matter.

The assumption that everybody that cries intimidation is just and right, and that it always is intimidation is just as BS as any other opinion.

You are taking this too personally. I simply need more evidence to see it your way on this one. There are simply too many very real accounts of intimidation from both sides to give credence to one with so little evidence.

NATO AIR said:

It's ALL speculation without the exact ID of the writer. Non-story until then unless the media likes the spin that the GOP did it.

no1tovote4 said:
It's an opinion. Nothing more, I could be wrong but there is no evidence that supports your opinion over mine in this matter.

The assumption that everybody that cries intimidation is just and right, and that it always is intimidation is just as BS as any other opinion.

You are taking this too personally. I simply need more evidence to see it your way on this one. There are simply too many very real accounts of intimidation from both sides to give credence to one with so little evidence.

its not personal. i don't want you to see it my way. however, i don't want baseless accusations (the GOP did it, he wrote it himself) coming into the mix.

you say there are simply too many real accounts... that means the odds of this being a real account are much higher than an election season in which intimidation was rare. it is widespread in this era, and sadly, i now operate on a "not surprised at all" basis with these, and the only thing that remotely surprises me is if it is a lie. too many of them are true.

NATO AIR said:
its not personal. i don't want you to see it my way. however, i don't want baseless accusations (the GOP did it, he wrote it himself) coming into the mix.

you say there are simply too many real accounts... that means the odds of this being a real account are much higher than an election season in which intimidation was rare. it is widespread in this era, and sadly, i now operate on a "not surprised at all" basis with these, and the only thing that remotely surprises me is if it is a lie. too many of them are true.

The story itself makes a baseless accusation, I simply am giving a different view and opinion, it is simply conjecture as there is no evidence for either side.

I think the odds are just as high to use the threat of intimidation to attempt to raise the anger level and get more people out to vote during this election season.

Forum List

Back