NHRA Driver Kalitta Killed In Horrific Crash

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
I don't know how many here are drag race fans, but I've followed drag racing for many a year now, and this death is really tragic. This was a great guy...

NHRA Driver Kalitta Killed In Horrific Crash

Sunday, June 22, 2008 11:30 AM EDT
The Associated Press

ENGLISHTOWN, N.J. (AP) — Scott Kalitta died Saturday when his Funny Car burst into flames and crashed at the end of the track during the final round of qualifying for the Lucas Oil NHRA SuperNationals at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park.

The NHRA said the 46-year-old Kalitta — the 1994 and 1995 Top Fuel season champion who had 18 career victories, 17 in Top Fuel and one in Funny Car — was taken to the Old Bridge division of Raritan Bay Medical Center, where he died a short time later.

Kalitta's Toyota Solara was traveling at about 300 mph when it burst into flames.

Article continues here...

I too am a drag racer of the modified street genre, Supercharged and nitrous equipped 04 Marauder. As I understand the various articles, Scott's car overran the paved area, plowed through the net and sand barriers and exploded on the concrete final barrier that marks the end of the tracks property line or close to it.

My wife opined that they should have had a water barrier instead of concrete.
That's an idea for not only this track but others.

Rest in peace Scott.

Regards,

Last edited:
I too am a drag racer of the modified street genre, Supercharged and nitrous equipped 04 Marauder. As I understand the various articles, Scott's car overran the paved area, plowed through the net and sand barriers and exploded on the concrete final barrier that marks the end of the tracks property line or close to it.

My wife opined that they should have had a water barrier instead of concrete.
That's an idea for not only this track but others.

Rest in peace Scott.

Regards,

OK... I found the video... my God... it looks like the strip has a concrete wall to run into at the end of the track... how absolutely ASININE is THAT?! They should be required to have a dirt pit at the end of each track that NO car going ANY speed would be able to traverse, into ANY kind of danger. This was just stupid. I hope they shut this track down.

In any case, truly, RIP Scott.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back