NHL 2011-2012 Season

Well miller is a drama queen but that isn't what I was saying.

I was saying you were going overboard (overdramatic) in your response and getting way to fired up about it for me.

I was saying you were going overboard (overdramatic) in your response and getting way to fired up about it for me.

Ryan might well be setting up litigation. :)

Bfgrn has no excuse...

No, not Ryan Miller being overly dramatic as he's stating his case. You're stating his case as if it is the only case.

It's not. :)

Lucic's hit on Ryan Miller IS the topic PLYMCO_PILGRIM and I were discussing.

It has nothing to do with you. Get over yourself.

I have been following the NHL since the 1960's. I played and coached the sport. I have USA Hockey coaching accreditation.

Hockey is a great sport, it's the fastest team sport on the planet. But the NHL has always been a Mickey Mouse run organization. I watched as Fred Shero and the Broad Street Bullies turned the NHL into Slap Shot and the Hansen brothers...the league did NOTHING. It took the great Montreal Canadien teams of Scotty Bowman to dispatch that goon style of play. I watched the league award the Stanley Cup on Sabre's ice to the Dallas Stars when Brent Hull was given credit for NO GOAL...the league did NOTHING.

The NHL rarely gets it right. Lucic ran through Miller. There was not even a hint Lucic tried to hold up. And for Shanahan to explain his decision based on 'intent' is ludicrous. NO player is going to self incriminate himself. It is childish to believe otherwise.

You are being blinded by partisanship.

No, not Ryan Miller being overly dramatic as he's stating his case. You're stating his case as if it is the only case.

It's not. :)

Lucic's hit on Ryan Miller IS the topic PLYMCO_PILGRIM and I were discussing.

Yes, but you are detaching it as if it stands alone. Litigation will see if that's the case and until then, it's just opinions.

You have yours which has been validated as a valid opinion. Now you are attempting to show it as the only right one and that's where your anxiety and drama comes up.

In defense of you, not the opinions. :razz:

imo

I have been following the NHL since the 1960's. I played and coached the sport. I have USA Hockey coaching accreditation.

Hockey is a great sport, it's the fastest team sport on the planet. But the NHL has always been a Mickey Mouse run organization. I watched as Fred Shero and the Broad Street Bullies turned the NHL into Slap Shot and the Hansen brothers...the league did NOTHING. It took the great Montreal Canadien teams of Scotty Bowman to dispatch that goon style of play. I watched the league award the Stanley Cup on Sabre's ice to the Dallas Stars when Brent Hull was given credit for NO GOAL...the league did NOTHING.

The NHL rarely gets it right. Lucic ran through Miller. There was not even a hint Lucic tried to hold up. And for Shanahan to explain his decision based on 'intent' is ludicrous. NO player is going to self incriminate himself. It is childish to believe otherwise.

I already told you if it happened to Thomas bruins fans would be calling for the same treatment you are and I also said they would be wrong.

Like I said from the beginning I didn't think it was a dirty hit, you did, hence our real dissagreement.

I already told you if it happened to Thomas bruins fans would be calling for the same treatment you are and I also said they would be wrong.

Like I said from the beginning I didn't think it was a dirty hit, you did, hence our real dissagreement.

I didn't say it was a dirty hit. It is an illegal hit. It is against the rules to hit a goaltender, in or out of the crease. If Lucic hit a defenseman, that would be a legal hit.

All laws and rules are built on precedent. The steamroll hit Lucic laid on Miller set the precedent...it is merely a 2 minute minor...THAT is what Shanahan and the league are saying. And THAT is unacceptable.

Leaf's coach Ron Wilson: "However, a goaltender's more or less defenceless in some of those situations. They're not wearing the same type of equipment, they're not built to absorb a 250-pound freight train running you over. Whereas a defenceman may. That's the debate that's going to go on in the next couple of days. Should we be protecting goaltenders?"

The league has opened up a can of worms. Shanahan blew it. I agree with what Ron Wilson and Kerry Frazer said.

I suggest you think about it. Without Thomas, the Cup would be somewhere else, and the rest of the league knows it. If Thomas were taken out like Miller in the playoffs, Boston fans would still be reminiscing about Bobby Orr scoring the winning goal flying through the air, his arms raised in victory – as his shot got by goaltender Glenn Hall.

League General Managers send Shanahan a message...you were WRONG, Lucic should have been suspended.

TORONTO - The next player to hammer a goaltender outside of his crease isn't likely to get off as easily as Milan Lucic.

A discussion among the league's 30 general managers Tuesday produced a strong consensus that goalies need to be better protected - even when they stray from their own goal to play the puck. That's exactly what Buffalo's Ryan Miller was doing on Saturday night when he suffered a concussion after taking a hit from Lucic.

After learning Tuesday that roughly two-thirds of GMs would have preferred to see a suspension in the case, Shanahan acknowledged that his mandate had been altered.

"I think there's certainly a very heightened sensitivity to the goalies and the future of all the goalies in this league," he said. "Certainly they're not fair game. I think that players have to understand that. The general managers expressed to me the importance of all the players on the ice but also the extreme importance of the goaltender in that position.

"So I do think that's something as a message to the players around the league, if anybody does think that it's a tactic and a tactic that is a smart gamble on their part, it won't be."

League General Managers send Shanahan a message...you were WRONG, Lucic should have been suspended.

TORONTO - The next player to hammer a goaltender outside of his crease isn't likely to get off as easily as Milan Lucic.

A discussion among the league's 30 general managers Tuesday produced a strong consensus that goalies need to be better protected - even when they stray from their own goal to play the puck. That's exactly what Buffalo's Ryan Miller was doing on Saturday night when he suffered a concussion after taking a hit from Lucic.

After learning Tuesday that roughly two-thirds of GMs would have preferred to see a suspension in the case, Shanahan acknowledged that his mandate had been altered.

"I think there's certainly a very heightened sensitivity to the goalies and the future of all the goalies in this league," he said. "Certainly they're not fair game. I think that players have to understand that. The general managers expressed to me the importance of all the players on the ice but also the extreme importance of the goaltender in that position.

"So I do think that's something as a message to the players around the league, if anybody does think that it's a tactic and a tactic that is a smart gamble on their part, it won't be."
Let them play. Great play Lucic lighting up a goalie who went to far out of his area but never the less, there was no intent to hurt..a collision happen and lucic was bracing for it otherwise miller would have wound up in the glass. Flashback on Van Ryan.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ptIZdjGfjs]Milan Lucic hits Mike Van Ryn through the Glass - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Let them play. Great play Lucic lighting up a goalie who went to far out of his area but never the less, there was no intent to hurt..a collision happen and lucic was bracing for it otherwise miller would have wound up in the glass. Flashback on Van Ryan.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ptIZdjGfjs]Milan Lucic hits Mike Van Ryn through the Glass - YouTube[/ame]

I would go with a 2 minute minor and that's about it...Goalies should keep their butts where they belong, in goal making saves.

My guess is Ryan Miller is more pissed at his team mates for not kicking Lucic's ass.

Let the players handle this melodrama...

Last edited:
Some people want to ban this stuff from hockey too, I think its part of hockey and should stay (from last night's game)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEEi_Shj2VQ]Thornton Vs. Boll Hockey Fight 11/17/2011 - YouTube[/ame]

zonly1'

Probie still throwin'em

Probie's brain says he was absorbin'em.

nhl_ap_bprobert1_300.jpg

A study shows the late Bob Probert, at left, had a
degenerative brain condition when he died at 45.

Researchers: Bob Probert had CTE

Bob Probert knew the fierce pounding he dished out and received over 16 seasons as an NHL enforcer was taking its toll as he got older. That's why he wanted his brain to be analyzed once he died.

Even though heart failure ultimately ended his life last July at age 45, Probert also was living with a damaged brain.

Researchers at Boston University said Thursday that Probert had the degenerative brain disease Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy.

zonly1'

Probie still throwin'em

nhl_ap_bprobert1_300.jpg

Bob Probert knew the fierce pounding he dished out and received over 16 seasons as an NHL enforcer was taking its toll as he got older. That's why he wanted his brain to be analyzed once he died.

Even though heart failure ultimately ended his life last July at age 45, Probert also was living with a damaged brain.

Researchers at Boston University said Thursday that Probert had the degenerative brain disease Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy.

Same thing happens to fighters like boxers and kickboxers.

Its part of the sport, if you don't want to take that risk then don't be an enforcer ;)

Milan Lucic hits Mike Van Ryn through the Glass - YouTube

zonly1'

Probie still throwin'em

nhl_ap_bprobert1_300.jpg

Its part of the sport, if you don't want to take that risk then don't be an enforcer ;)

There is more to it than just your entertainment...

Trio of hockey enforcer deaths no coincidence — Laraque

Former Oiler says there are constant worries for players who make a living fighting in NHL

5344004.bin

Colourful tough guy Wade Belak was found dead on Wednesday in Toronto from an apparent suicide.

EDMONTON - In the wake of Wade Belak’s suicide, retired heavyweight Georges Laraque doesn’t think it’s happenstance that three NHL players who made their living as fighters have shockingly died over the summer.

“A coincidence? No,” said the former Edmonton Oilers’ tough guy, who now is host of a sportstalk show in Montreal modelled after TSN’s Off The Record.

Laraque has been bowled over by the deaths of Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien and now Wade Belak in the last few months.

“This job is so hard, physically and mentally,” said Laraque. “You can go to a movie theatre the night before a game, and you’re thinking of the fight you’re going to get into the next day. Like, you have to fight Boogaard. Then that game’s over and it’s like ‘OK, I have to fight Jody Shelley.’ After that it’s Brian McGrattan. You try not to think about it, but you start with the drugs or the alcohol and that creates the problem.”

Read more: Trio of hockey enforcer deaths no coincidence

Like I said, if you are worried about it do NOT be an enforcer. If you can't be on a team without being an enforcer than maybe your skill level isn't high enough to play in the NHL.

zonly1'

Probie still throwin'em

nhl_ap_bprobert1_300.jpg

There is more to it than just your entertainment...

Trio of hockey enforcer deaths no coincidence — Laraque

Former Oiler says there are constant worries for players who make a living fighting in NHL

5344004.bin

Colourful tough guy Wade Belak was found dead on Wednesday in Toronto from an apparent suicide.

EDMONTON - In the wake of Wade Belak’s suicide, retired heavyweight Georges Laraque doesn’t think it’s happenstance that three NHL players who made their living as fighters have shockingly died over the summer.

“A coincidence? No,” said the former Edmonton Oilers’ tough guy, who now is host of a sportstalk show in Montreal modelled after TSN’s Off The Record.

Laraque has been bowled over by the deaths of Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien and now Wade Belak in the last few months.

“This job is so hard, physically and mentally,” said Laraque. “You can go to a movie theatre the night before a game, and you’re thinking of the fight you’re going to get into the next day. Like, you have to fight Boogaard. Then that game’s over and it’s like ‘OK, I have to fight Jody Shelley.’ After that it’s Brian McGrattan. You try not to think about it, but you start with the drugs or the alcohol and that creates the problem.”

Read more: Trio of hockey enforcer deaths no coincidence
Mark Rypien wasn't a fighter.

Probie was the best during his time but it didn't help with his off ice activities and being arrested for what? ....when probie left the wings, management made negative comments in that regard

Last edited:
Lucic's first shift buffalo sends out their "fighter".....Lucic still has the skills ;)

It was a good hockey game for fans who understand the sport. Buffalo had the better scoring chances, but they only count when the red light goes on. Thomas was stellar in the shootout. But both net-minders played great.

Pound for pound, the toughest player on the ice was the smallest in stature and biggest in heart and grit...

Nathan Gerbe
...At 5'5" in height, Gerbe is the shortest player in the NHL.

98639934.jpeg

Watch out, or the little guy will light you up.

In a crucial game during the stretch run of the 2010-2011 season, the Sabres were doggedly trying to hold onto a slim 1-0 lead against the Montreal Canadiens. With under thirty seconds left, the Canadiens had an extra attacker and were applying massive pressure in the Sabres zone. A scrappy Gerbe was badgering opponents and finally knocked the puck loose whereupon he recovered it and scored an empty net goal.

Skip ahead to 5:20
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsMVcDtvd40&feature=player_embedded]Sabres at Canadiens - March 22, 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back