NH Union Leader Endorses Gingrich

I do not think it is clear. I read it is the opposite. I think Joe was making an absolute statement, not one that infers from a prior thought.

I think Obama will lose.

President Romney.

I'd be fine with that too. I'm just thinking that the election favors the incumbent, and Romney has a lot of things that he's going to have to backpedal and try and explain away.

All true, but one of the best predictors of electoral success (supposedly) is the right/track wrong track poll, i.e. is America on on the right track or the wrong track? This poll has been "wrong track" by 40%-50% for the past two years now. This is enormous. I think he is very vulnerable. Romney is the best of a bad lot.

I'm just not convinced that during these times past historical indicators are any sort of predictor of what may happen. Sure, the wrong track is polling between 40-50%, but what if they think Romney would be an even worse track?

I don't know, and I never make any "hard" predictions. I just think that it's an uphill battle for whomever the nominee will be. Too bad we can't combine Romney's morals and easy-going personality with Newt's intelligence.

I'd be fine with that too. I'm just thinking that the election favors the incumbent, and Romney has a lot of things that he's going to have to backpedal and try and explain away.

All true, but one of the best predictors of electoral success (supposedly) is the right/track wrong track poll, i.e. is America on on the right track or the wrong track? This poll has been "wrong track" by 40%-50% for the past two years now. This is enormous. I think he is very vulnerable. Romney is the best of a bad lot.

I'm just not convinced that during these times past historical indicators are any sort of predictor of what may happen. Sure, the wrong track is polling between 40-50%, but what if they think Romney would be an even worse track?

I don't know, and I never make any "hard" predictions. I just think that it's an uphill battle for whomever the nominee will be. Too bad we can't combine Romney's morals and easy-going personality with Newt's intelligence.

I think its difficult to make predictions, so I have zero confidence in my predictions.

And my predictions are that the Republicans sweep everything next year.

Take it FWIW.

I think its difficult to make predictions, so I have zero confidence in my predictions.

And my predictions are that the Republicans sweep everything next year.

Take it FWIW.

God, I hope not.

Last thing we need is a wild pendulum shift back all the way to the right.

I disagree. He said no one has ever gotten re-elected with an approval rating this low. He did not say "no one has ever gotten re-elected with an approval rating this low 11 months before the general election. His statement about polling numbers does not include a time frame.

The context is in the previous sentence where he says "right now". In reading the post, it is clear that Joe was referring to a president being elected with an approval rating this low "right now"....11 months prior to the election.

I do not think it is clear. I read it is the opposite. I think Joe was making an absolute statement, not one that infers from a prior thought.

Keep in mind that historical factors don't really mean jack or squat anymore.

Personally, I think Obama will be reelected.

I think Obama will lose.

President Romney.

Well, if Obama is doomed, then seeing the nuts in the Tea Party and the rest of the crackpot right have to watch their foolish fantasies go up in the smoke of Romney victory would be a helluva consolation prize. :lol::lol::lol:

The context is in the previous sentence where he says "right now". In reading the post, it is clear that Joe was referring to a president being elected with an approval rating this low "right now"....11 months prior to the election.

Keep in mind that historical factors don't really mean jack or squat anymore.

Personally, I think Obama will be reelected.

I think Obama will lose.

President Romney.

Well, if Obama is doomed, then seeing the nuts in the Tea Party and the rest of the crackpot right have to watch their foolish fantasies go up in the smoke of Romney victory would be a helluva consolation prize. :lol::lol::lol:

A conservative or a Tea Party member could win the Presidency, but the current roster seems so weak. Conceivably, I think the only two other potential candidates other than Romney are Gingrich and Perry. But both are deeply flawed and will ultimately lose.

Oooookay, Corky, I know you are a little slow... that was his lowest point, nearly two years before the election. By the time the election rolled around, he was up above 50%.

What scenario do you see where Obama's approval rating gets higher than it is now. I see a lot of them where they get lower, most of them involving the imminent collapse of the Euro...

Move the goalpost all you want. I disproved your assertion.

No you didn't. January of '83 was 23 months before the election. Right now is around 11 months before the election.

He said
Carter, Ford, Bush-41, all had approval ratings of where Obama is right now. No one has ever gotten re-elected with an approval rating this low.

You'll have to post that Reagan's numbers were 35% 11 months prior to the election in order to disprove his assertion.
Reagan's approval rating in Oct. 1983 was 45%.

No you didn't. January of '83 was 23 months before the election. Right now is around 11 months before the election.

He said
Carter, Ford, Bush-41, all had approval ratings of where Obama is right now. No one has ever gotten re-elected with an approval rating this low.

You'll have to post that Reagan's numbers were 35% 11 months prior to the election in order to disprove his assertion.

I disagree. He said no one has ever gotten re-elected with an approval rating this low. He did not say "no one has ever gotten re-elected with an approval rating this low 11 months before the general election. His statement about polling numbers does not include a time frame.
Good point - thanks for the vigilance.

He said

Not 35% :thup:

Good for them.
....Until you look at their Win/Loss record, as-far-as their picks go.

389.gif

See, still trying to parse the numbers. Why did you pick October. What source did you use?

Point is, though. Obama's numbers have pretty much flatlined.

Even killing Bin Laden only gave him a small bump. (I personally thought he'd go to 60%+ for a few weeks, he didn't.)

His numbers might get better IF the economy improves. MIGHT.

Incidently...

Presidential Approval for President Reagan

Date Organization * Approve Disapprove No Opinion Sample

12/9-12/83 Gallup 54 38 8 1510
11/18-21/83 Gallup 53 37 10 1504
10/21-24/83 Gallup 49 41 10 1549
10/7-10/83 Gallup 45 44 11 1503

Now you weren't trying to pull a fast one on us, where you Pee-Wee. By taking a number before the Grenada invastion gave Reagan a boost that lasted throughout the rest of his administation..

Here is some more on the paper's endorsement. In retrospect, it doesn't seem particularly surprising that did not endorse Romney. Maybe the surprise would have been if they had.

The paper didn't endorse Mr. Romney when he ran for president in 2008 and has criticized him over the years. The Romney campaign had no comment Sunday about the newspaper's endorsement.

While the Union Leader's nod is a prized catch for any Republican candidate, the newspaper has a spotty record for picking winners, even in New Hampshire. Among its losing candidates were Pete DuPont in 1988, Pat Buchanan in 1992 and Steve Forbes in 2000.

"While it helps Gingrich plant a foothold in the state, this is not the miracle drug the campaign needs to beat Romney's support and organization," said Ron Bonjean, a Republican political strategist.

"The paper does not have a solid track record of endorsing the actual Republican nominee," Mr. Bonjean said.

Prized Endorsement - WSJ.com

Incidently...

Now you weren't trying to pull a fast one on us, where you Pee-Wee. By taking a number before the Grenada invastion gave Reagan a boost that lasted throughout the rest of his administation..

I took the one I bolded. October 1983.

So are you saying that Obama should invade another country to get his approval ratings up? :lol:

Incidently...

I took the one I bolded. October 1983.

So are you saying that Obama should invade another country to get his approval ratings up? :lol:

I hear there are a lot of commies in St. Kitts ...

Forum List

Back