NFL zeroing in on locker room attendant in Deflategate.

For me, the bigger story is in 90 seconds, he obviously didn't wash his hands and everyone handled the goods.

Where did this "90 seconds" come from? Who timed it? I think that was just something someone said that nobody has any evidence to prove it. Now it is a fact of argument that's being passed around.

The balls were deflated. That seems to be an accepted fact. Otherwise the NFL would have said the balls were NOT under inflated and the controversy would be mute.

Arguing about if the balls could have been inflated in a bathroom in 90 seconds is silly. Whatever time it took and where ever it took place it was obviously enough time to deflate 11 balls.
Huggy, the video tape of the ball guy going in to a room ALSO SHOWED the same boy coming out of the room 90 seconds later...the tape didn't just stop? (later to be reported it was the bathroom, and the guy took a leak)

FOX Sports just CHOSE to NOT tell you that part and HEADLINED that they had the SMOKING GUN, the Fall Guy, and being that you are not a Pats fan, you bit the FOX sensationalism and false claims, hook, line and sinker...

===============================

I do have some questions...like, why does the nfl allow legal balls to be a 2.0 PSI difference....why have the 'range' of where ball PSI's can be? Why not just 1 specific PSI for the football's inflation so both sides HAVE TO begin with the same PSI inflated balls?

OR is the rule that you should always turn in your balls at the highest PSI level so that when their pressure does change due to weather or spiking it or what ever, it's PSI can go down as much as 2.0 and still be in the legal range?

AND were the colts footballs measured and was their PSI's different from when they turned them in?

For me, the bigger story is in 90 seconds, he obviously didn't wash his hands and everyone handled the goods.

Where did this "90 seconds" come from? Who timed it? I think that was just something someone said that nobody has any evidence to prove it. Now it is a fact of argument that's being passed around.

The balls were deflated. That seems to be an accepted fact. Otherwise the NFL would have said the balls were NOT under inflated and the controversy would be mute.

Arguing about if the balls could have been inflated in a bathroom in 90 seconds is silly. Whatever time it took and where ever it took place it was obviously enough time to deflate 11 balls.
Huggy, the video tape of the ball guy going in to a room ALSO SHOWED the same boy coming out of the room 90 seconds later...the tape didn't just stop? (later to be reported it was the bathroom, and the guy took a leak)

FOX Sports just CHOSE to NOT tell you that part and HEADLINED that they had the SMOKING GUN, the Fall Guy, and being that you are not a Pats fan, you bit the FOX sensationalism and false claims, hook, line and sinker...

===============================

I do have some questions...like, why does the nfl allow legal balls to be a 2.0 PSI difference....why have the 'range' of where ball PSI's can be? Why not just 1 specific PSI for the football's inflation so both sides HAVE TO begin with the same PSI inflated balls?

OR is the rule that you should always turn in your balls at the highest PSI level so that when their pressure does change due to weather or spiking it or what ever, it's PSI can go down as much as 2.0 and still be in the legal range?

AND were the colts footballs measured and was their PSI's different from when they turned them in?

I don't know all of the answers to every question but i have thrown and caught hundreds of footballs in all kinds of weather. I DO know that it is a lot harder to CATCH a football that has more pressure than one that has less. This is especially true in cold or wet conditions. I actually prefer throwing a ball with higher pressure when it's hot and humid. It makes a tighter spiral which is easier to aim in long throws. A ball with higher pressure is also easier to throw and catch in windy conditions except when the temperature drops and there is an addition of rain or snow. For the conditions of the Indy game Brady would have had an advantage with a softer ball. The real problem in that game was the Colts defense though. What they needed was to cause more turnovers to give Luck more possessions. Luck is a better pass thrower than Brady but no team can win if they don't get turnovers everything else being equal...except the Seahawks of course. I don't know of any QB in the NFL that could have pulled off Seattle's comeback except Russell Wilson.

The balls could have simply been right at the limit before the game started and below the limit because of weather conditions by the end of the first half.

Or you can choose to believe that the ball attendant got in done in 90 seconds before they went out to the field.

Or you can choose to believe that somehow the balls were deflated ON the field in front of thousands of people with cameras taking pictures and scores of television cameras capturing everything that's going on down on the field.

So what sounds "silly" to you?

What sounds silly is that ALL of the Colts balls were within regs and 11 out of 12 Patriots ball were up to TWO pounds out of regs. The Patriots are free to speak of physics BUT they don't get to have THEIR OWN set of physics in the same place and time as the Colts and expect everyone to believe the results will be different just on the Patriots balls. SO the science lesson is stupid! ALL of the footballs were subject to the SAME physics.

Where EVER the balls were deflated THAT'S where the crime took place. I don't think 90 seconds is enough time to accurately deflate 11 footballs. Maybe 5 or 6 but 11? That's a stretch. Realistically it could be done in three or four minutes. So what I DO believe is that the custody and time lines we are being given are not true.

NOBODY on the Patriot's team took it upon himself to make the balls anything other than what Brady wanted. It is just too important of a thing for a QB like him to throw a ball that he is not comfortable with. I DO believe that Brady could grip a football and tell you INSTANTLY if it was inflated correctly to suit HIS preferences. Suggesting that he couldn't tell the difference is ridiculous. The same goes for EVERY NFL starting QB. Russell Wilson can pick up a football with his big mitts and tell you within 1 or 2 % if it is to his preference. The 10-15 % we are talking about would be so obvious that Brady would have called a time out and got a different ball.

The balls could have simply been right at the limit before the game started and below the limit because of weather conditions by the end of the first half.

Or you can choose to believe that the ball attendant got in done in 90 seconds before they went out to the field.

Or you can choose to believe that somehow the balls were deflated ON the field in front of thousands of people with cameras taking pictures and scores of television cameras capturing everything that's going on down on the field.

What sounds silly is that ALL of the Colts balls were within regs and 11 out of 12 Patriots ball were up to TWO pounds out of regs. The Patriots are free to speak of physics BUT they don't get to have THEIR OWN set of physics in the same place and time as the Colts and expect everyone to believe the results will be different just on the Patriots balls. SO the science lesson is stupid! ALL of the footballs were subject to the SAME physics.

Where EVER the balls were deflated THAT'S where the crime took place. I don't think 90 seconds is enough time to accurately deflate 11 footballs. Maybe 5 or 6 but 11? That's a stretch. Realistically it could be done in three or four minutes. So what I DO believe is that the custody and time lines we are being given are not true.

NOBODY on the Patriot's team took it upon himself to make the balls anything other than what Brady wanted. It is just too important of a thing for a QB like him to throw a ball that he is not comfortable with. I DO believe that Brady could grip a football and tell you INSTANTLY if it was inflated correctly to suit HIS preferences. Suggesting that he couldn't tell the difference is ridiculous. The same goes for EVERY NFL starting QB. Russell Wilson can pick up a football with his big mitts and tell you within 1 or 2 % if it is to his preference. The 10-15 % we are talking about would be so obvious that Brady would have called a time out and got a different ball.

Once again...unless you KNOW what pressure the Colt's balls started at...you have no idea whether or not their balls lost the exact same amount of pressure as the Patriot's game balls. So would you like to tell us what the Colt balls starting pressure was?

Once again...unless you KNOW what pressure the Colt's balls started at...you have no idea whether or not their balls lost the exact same amount of pressure as the Patriot's game balls. So would you like to tell us what the Colt balls starting pressure was?
Don't be ridiculous. ALL of the balls for both teams were filled to at least 12.5 psi before the game. According to the Deflatriots, only their balls were affected by the weather. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Don't be ridiculous. ALL of the balls for both teams were filled to at least 12.5 psi before the game. According to the Deflatriots, only their balls were affected by the weather. :rolleyes:

t

So tell me what the exact starting air pressure was for the Colt's balls, Faun? Did they start at the same level as the Patriots? Aaron Rogers has admitted that he likes to push the envelope the other way trying to get balls that are slightly overinflated into the game because they feel better to him. So tell me what Andrew Luck's preference is? Does he like an underinflated ball...an overinflated ball...or a ball that's somewhere in the middle?

Because if Luck's footballs started out the game at the high end of the spectrum...or even slightly over it...then his footballs would naturally not be the same as Brady's footballs that started the game at the low end of the spectrum...or even slightly below it.

Do you have any idea how stringent the measurements are by the referee? Does he actually measure each ball with a gauge to determine it's playability...or does he simply pick up the balls and give them the squeeze test? If a ball is "close" does he let it go?

Because if Luck's footballs started out the game at the high end of the spectrum...or even slightly over it...then his footballs would naturally not be the same as Brady's footballs that started the game at the low end of the spectrum...or even slightly below it.

Do you have any idea how stringent the measurements are by the referee? Does he actually measure each ball with a gauge to determine it's playability...or does he simply pick up the balls and give them the squeeze test? If a ball is "close" does he let it go?
The exact amount doesn't matter. The range is one pound between 12.5 psi and 13.5 psi. Meaning the Colts balls would not have lost more than one pound at most. While the Patriots balls lost no less than two pounds.

The exact amount doesn't matter. The range is one pound between 12.5 psi and 13.5 psi. Meaning the Colts balls would not have lost more than one pound at most. While the Patriots balls lost no less than two pounds.

So, if the following were true, how would that change your opinion?

1. The only ball at 10.5 psi is the one intercepted by the Colts
2. 10 other balls are closer to 11.5 psi
3. The 12th ball is under 12.5 psi, but less so than the first 11 balls

First, that does not appear to be the case as what I read was 11 of their balls were each about 2 psi below the minimum 12.5 psi.

But for the sake of just tossing opinions around, it wouldn't change my opinion that they cheated because in my opinion, given the weather, both teams probably filled their balls as softly as the league allowed. Meanwhile, the Patriots' balls lost air whereas the Colts did not.

That's not to say I think it helped them win the game. They dominated the Colts and most of their points came on the second half after the balls were again properly inflated. But I still believe they cheated.

For some r

First, that does not appear to be the case as what I read was 11 of their balls were each about 2 psi below the minimum 12.5 psi.

But for the sake of just tossing opinions around, it wouldn't change my opinion that they cheated because in my opinion, given the weather, both teams probably filled their balls as softly as the league allowed. Meanwhile, the Patriots' balls lost air whereas the Colts did not.

That's not to say I think it helped them win the game. They dominated the Colts and most of their points came on the second half after the balls were again properly inflated. But I still believe they cheated.

For some reason, I'm having trouble copy and pasting on my iPad, but Mike Florio reported my "theoretical" only 3 days ago. Keep in mind that the NFL has not confirmed or denied anything. The "11 balls deflated by 2 lbs" was reported through anonymous sources. Florio'a report, at this moment, is as valid as any other report on the psi.

But also, I find it troubling that you still believe they cheated despite having no idea what the Colts balls were inflated to. Aaron Rodgers has said that he prefers his overinflated. He's a QB who plays outdoors in the cold and rain and snow, scenarios where most QBs seem to prefer under inflation. You have no idea what Andrew Luck prefers. He may very well prefer the balls inflated to the higher end of the scale regardless of game conditions, because the more underinflated the ball is, the more control you lose over speed and spiral.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the vehemence with which the Patriots are defending themselves makes me inclined to believe that they are completely innocent.

That's assuming that the Colts game balls started out at the 13.5 psi limit. Let's say they didn't. Let's say that Andrew Luck...like Aaron Rogers...likes his game balls a little over inflated because he's a big guy with big hands. Also from what I've come to understand the only Patriot's ball that was two pounds less was the one that the Colts had possession of because of the interception. The others supposedly (because we're all getting this information second hand so who knows...) were deflated to a lesser degree. So if the Colt's balls started out the game at say 14 psi instead of 13.5 and lost a pound of pressure due to the weather that would put them at 13 psi...right in the middle of the range. If the Patriot's balls started off at 12.5 psi...or possibly slightly less if the referee was a "close enough" kind of guy...and they lost a pound of pressure then it would put those balls below the acceptable range.

On what do you base your opinion that both teams filled their balls as softly as the league allowed? Please show me where Andrew Luck or anyone else from the Colts has stipulated what his particular preference is.

I remember hearing that one of the reasons why big men like Shaquille O'Neil had such a hard time shooting free throws was because the ball was so small in their rather large hands making it hard to control how it came out. Given the obvious large size of Andrew Luck would it be a stretch to think that his large hands would handle an overinflated ball better than an underinflated ball? If so...then that blows the whole theory that the Patriots HAD to have cheated because the Colt's balls were not as deflated as the Patriot's were right out of the water.

Until the NFL actually releases a report...watching paint dry is probably a better use of your time, Pop!

Forum List

Back