Nfl upset of the week

MJB12741

Gold Member
Feb 19, 2012
CARDINALS 20

PATRIOTS 18

Up until now the mighty New England Patriots have NEVER lost a home opener in Gilette Stadium.

Half of my elimination pool was eliminated on this game today, including one of my teams.

Until the back fumbled in the last seconds, it didn't feel like NE was going to win this game.

Despite a QB issue & two rookie OT's on the line, Cards offence scored enough to win. And the Cards defence was solid throughout & may be the best red zone defence in the NFL.

Half of my elimination pool was eliminated on this game today, including one of my teams.

Until the back fumbled in the last seconds, it didn't feel like NE was going to win this game.

Hah! 9 out of 10 of us picked NE in my survival league. Easiest win ever for the guy who picked the Niners this week. :)

CARDINALS 20

PATRIOTS 18

Up until now the mighty New England Patriots have NEVER lost a home opener in Gilette Stadium.

It's unquestionably a surprise but I think people underestimate the Cardinals and frankly the entire NFC West this year. The 49ers everyone knows about of course but Arizona and Seattle both have devastating defenses than can slow the most potent offensive attack to a slow crawl. At that point even a moderate offensive output can win a lot of games.

It's early of course, but it's worth noting that in games outside their division the NFC West is 5-1 with the only loss being a Rams defeat in Detroit by a mere four points. The victories have not come against chumps either. Green Bay, New England, Dallas.....you know....pretty solid teams taking losses to a division that people perceive as (and has historically been) pretty weak.

I think you will see a lot of teams find out that the NFC West isn't as weak as they think it is.

What seems so surprising with the Cardinals is how awful they looked in pre-season. And yet if we look at the regular season since the second half of last year, the Cards have won 9 of their last 11 games & start off 2-0 for this season against formidable teams. Cardinals are flying high again.

One thing I will say though is that the Cardinals offense needs to improve. The Patriots' D is flat out terrible and for them to only put up 20 points is a little questionable. I will give them a pass because they were on the road and it's a lot harder to produce in a hostile environment but 245 total yards against THAT defense and only a 28% conversion rate on third down? Egads!

Wells has been stuffed in both games this year. Last week vs. Seattle is pretty understandable because it's VERY hard to run on Seattle, but I expected more from him this week. Despite beating Seattle last week I still think the Seahawks are a better team. They have a far more powerful running game with Lynch and Turbin and as Russell Wilson gets more experience he should really enhance their offensive production.

I imagine the Cardinals will finish third in the NFC West this year (with the 49ers winning the division) but I would not be at all surprised to see the Cardinals, Seahawks, and 49ers combine for 30 - 31 wins or so

Last edited:
One thing I will say though is that the Cardinals offense needs to improve. The Patriots' D is flat out terrible and for them to only put up 20 points is a little questionable. I will give them a pass because they were on the road and it's a lot harder to produce in a hostile environment but 245 total yards against THAT defense and only a 28% conversion rate on third down? Egads!

Wells has been stuffed in both games this year. Last week vs. Seattle is pretty understandable because it's VERY hard to run on Seattle, but I expected more from him this week. Despite beating Seattle last week I still think the Seahawks are a better team. They have a far more powerful running game with Lynch and Turbin and as Russell Wilson gets more experience he should really enhance their offensive production.

I imagine the Cardinals will finish third in the NFC West this year (with the 49ers winning the division) but I would not be at all surprised to see the Cardinals, Seahawks, and 49ers combine for 30 - 31 wins or so

I'm surprised Seattle is 1-1, they have the Packers and I don't expect Seattle to fare well at all.

I'm surprised Seattle is 1-1, they have the Packers and I don't expect Seattle to fare well at all.

I am too. I figured they would be 2-0. I was not at all surprised by them beating Dallas. It's very difficult to go to Seattle and score a win. Seattle is fantastic at home. It's on the road where they really struggle..especially on the east coast, but that is generally true of all western teams. It's harder to travel east than west because of the time change. I thought they would beat Arizona in week one and they damn near did. Had Braylon Edwards not completely dropped a ball that was right in his hands in the end zone Seattle would have won that game. But...you know....if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle too.

As far as the Packers.....historically Seattle is very good on Monday night. I don't know why it is but they have one of the best records in the NFL on Monday Night Football going all the way back to the beginning. And again it's in Seattle where "hostile territory" brings on a whole new meaning. The key to beating Seattle is the tight end. Running on Seattle is usually an exercise in futility. Their very big and physical secondary can completely dismantle receivers. But they are vulnerable at LB so if you use your tight end a lot and utilize a slot receiver on short patterns over the middle you can move the ball.

Defensively, you have to stack the box against Lynch, put the game on Russell Wilson's shoulders, and hope he plays like a rookie. If you let Lynch get established then Wilson won't need to do much. Look at last week vs. Dallas. Lynch had 26 carries for 122 yards while Wilson was only forced to throw 20 times.

Now all that being said I imagine Green Bay will probably win this game, but I think it will be closer than people think and I don't rule out a Seattle upset at all.

one thing i will say though is that the cardinals offense needs to improve. The patriots' d is flat out terrible and for them to only put up 20 points is a little questionable. I will give them a pass because they were on the road and it's a lot harder to produce in a hostile environment but 245 total yards against that defense and only a 28% conversion rate on third down? Egads!

Wells has been stuffed in both games this year. Last week vs. Seattle is pretty understandable because it's very hard to run on seattle, but i expected more from him this week. Despite beating seattle last week i still think the seahawks are a better team. They have a far more powerful running game with lynch and turbin and as russell wilson gets more experience he should really enhance their offensive production.

I imagine the cardinals will finish third in the nfc west this year (with the 49ers winning the division) but i would not be at all surprised to see the cardinals, seahawks, and 49ers combine for 30 - 31 wins or so

i'm surprised seattle is 1-1, they have the packers and i don't expect seattle to fare well at all.

doh!!!!!!!! ;) NFC West now has the best combined record in the NFL. Imagine that

Last edited:

I am too. I figured they would be 2-0. I was not at all surprised by them beating Dallas. It's very difficult to go to Seattle and score a win. Seattle is fantastic at home. It's on the road where they really struggle..especially on the east coast, but that is generally true of all western teams. It's harder to travel east than west because of the time change. I thought they would beat Arizona in week one and they damn near did. Had Braylon Edwards not completely dropped a ball that was right in his hands in the end zone Seattle would have won that game. But...you know....if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle too.

As far as the Packers.....historically Seattle is very good on Monday night. I don't know why it is but they have one of the best records in the NFL on Monday Night Football going all the way back to the beginning. And again it's in Seattle where "hostile territory" brings on a whole new meaning. The key to beating Seattle is the tight end. Running on Seattle is usually an exercise in futility. Their very big and physical secondary can completely dismantle receivers. But they are vulnerable at LB so if you use your tight end a lot and utilize a slot receiver on short patterns over the middle you can move the ball.

Defensively, you have to stack the box against Lynch, put the game on Russell Wilson's shoulders, and hope he plays like a rookie. If you let Lynch get established then Wilson won't need to do much. Look at last week vs. Dallas. Lynch had 26 carries for 122 yards while Wilson was only forced to throw 20 times.

Now all that being said I imagine Green Bay will probably win this game, but I think it will be closer than people think and I don't rule out a Seattle upset at all.

Damn....I am good. :lmao:

one thing i will say though is that the cardinals offense needs to improve. The patriots' d is flat out terrible and for them to only put up 20 points is a little questionable. I will give them a pass because they were on the road and it's a lot harder to produce in a hostile environment but 245 total yards against that defense and only a 28% conversion rate on third down? Egads!

Wells has been stuffed in both games this year. Last week vs. Seattle is pretty understandable because it's very hard to run on seattle, but i expected more from him this week. Despite beating seattle last week i still think the seahawks are a better team. They have a far more powerful running game with lynch and turbin and as russell wilson gets more experience he should really enhance their offensive production.

I imagine the cardinals will finish third in the nfc west this year (with the 49ers winning the division) but i would not be at all surprised to see the cardinals, seahawks, and 49ers combine for 30 - 31 wins or so

i'm surprised seattle is 1-1, they have the packers and i don't expect seattle to fare well at all.

doh!!!!!!!! ;) NFC West now has the best combined record in the NFL. Imagine that

Not sure what the NFC West combo record has to do with anything. Arizona and San Fran are very good teams and so is Seattle. I had the division going San Fran, Arizona, Seattle and then St. Louis. Haven't seen anything to change my mind.

Not sure what the NFC West combo record has to do with anything. Arizona and San Fran are very good teams and so is Seattle. I had the division going San Fran, Arizona, Seattle and then St. Louis. Haven't seen anything to change my mind.

I think it has to do with the fact the NFC West has been the garbage division of the NFL for some years now. This year, though, there are three very solid teams (or at least defenses) and the division looks much tougher than we've been used to.

I think it has to do with the fact the NFC West has been the garbage division of the NFL for some years now. This year, though, there are three very solid teams (or at least defenses) and the division looks much tougher than we've been used to.

Funny that all three QB's are not that good but seem to get the job done.

Forum List

Back