NFL Stands by Kanye

Abbey Normal

Jul 9, 2005
Mid-Atlantic region
No wonder NASCAR is so popular...

"The National Football League is refusing to punt Kanye West, despite the rapper's controversial trashing of President Bush's response to Hurricane Katrina.

The NFL stood by the hip-hop star Tuesday at a Los Angeles press conference announcing the talent lineup for the upcoming Opening Kickoff special this Thursday. The roster still includes the Chicago-based rapper, who made waves Friday when he ignored the TelePrompTer and lashed out at the White House response to hurricane victims during NBC's live telethon, saying "George Bush doesn't care about black people."

The network edited out West's remark from the West Coast rebroadcast and hastily issued a press release that said that the "Gold Digger" rapper's "opinions in no way represent the views of the network." West was asked several times to comment on his remarks at the NFL press conference, but declined to address the issue, saying that between the hurricane and the controversy, it created "a lot of pressure for one human being."

"I don't want to detract from the show at all, because it's entertainment, and a lot of times, in a time of need, we need entertainment to lift people's spirits," West added.

League spokesman Brian McCarthy, meanwhile, told the Los Angeles Times that West "expressed an unscripted opinion." Performers, McCarthy said, were selected "for their entertainment value, not their political views."

Steve Brener, a rep for the event, did not yet know what songs West is planning to perform during his "medley," aside from a version of "Heard 'Em Say," but it's a safe bet the Time magazine cover subject will not be performing the new track "Crack Music," in which he raps, "Who gave Saddam anthrax?/George Bush got the answers." In any case, West's performance will be taped 20 minutes before the show comes on live, then will be edited into the telecast.

Some football fans are having an increasingly difficult time buying the league's position regarding halftime and preshow talent tapped by the NFL in its quest to lure increasingly a younger and more diverse demographic. Last month, many pigskin faithful of the conservative ilk were outraged that the league was launching a campaign featuring the Rolling Stones, whose latest release, A Bigger Bang, features a scathing indictment of the Bush administration in the form of the track "Sweet Neo Con."

The Los Angeles Times suggested the league hasn't learned any lessons after suffering backlash in the wake of Janet Jackson's Super Bowl "wardrobe malfunction" incident last year or Nicollette Sheridan's towel-dropping segment preceding a Monday Night Football game last November.

Perhaps it's easier for the NFL to back West now that the Grammy-winning artist is the hottest thing in music...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20050907/en_music_eo/17304

I shot an email off to the NFL voicing my displeasure; mentioning not only the Bush-bashing, but more importantly his lyrics, about hoes, kids skipping schools, etc.

I don't expect a reply or a change in programming.

What the heck is with the NFL lately? Why on earth would they want to associate with this spoiled rich boy?

What the heck is with the NFL lately? Why on earth would they want to associate with this spoiled rich boy?

Maybe cause the NFL has a whole bunch of thier own like Ricky Willams, Randy Moss, etc etc.----Allowing this racist to participate is criminal !!

dilloduck said:
Maybe cause the NFL has a whole bunch of thier own like Ricky Willams, Randy Moss, etc etc.----Allowing this racist to participate is criminal !!

I would prefer not to hear rap in any public forum. When a commercial comes on that features rap, I change the channel. Hopefully corporate America will some day realize that most people just don't like rap.

dilloduck said:

Moss was a pain-in-the-ass, and he was fine when chris carter was still playing, because chris kept him in line. After he left, Moss regressed and was nothing but trouble ever since. Good riddance.

Most of the Vikings said they are glad he's gone. We have a pretty good lineup this season, so things are looking up.

personally, I got tired of watching football because of the way the players behaved off the field. A bunch of thugs, not doing anything for the good of society, causing problems, and not getting REAL punishments for their crimes. The NFL is going the same way as the NBA...so sad.

fuzzykitten99 said:
Moss was a pain-in-the-ass, and he was fine when chris carter was still playing, because chris kept him in line. After he left, Moss regressed and was nothing but trouble ever since. Good riddance.

Most of the Vikings said they are glad he's gone. We have a pretty good lineup this season, so things are looking up.

personally, I got tired of watching football because of the way the players behaved off the field. A bunch of thugs, not doing anything for the good of society, causing problems, and not getting REAL punishments for their crimes. The NFL is going the same way as the NBA...so sad.

As a Packer fan, I'm glad Moss and Carter are gone!

I agree that there are a lot of idiots out there on the field, but there are also a lot of great guys who do a lot for charity. It's not nearly as bad as the NBA.......yet.

nucular said:
Hopefully corporate America will some day realize that most people just don't like rap.

That's not what drives corporate America, or our culture in general. It's always assumed that whatever people want is what the market delivers, but that's not necessarily true. Corporate America and the MSM like to deliver what humiliates whites, and rap is high on the list.

Think about it. If "profits" were what Hollywood were all about, Mel Gibson's "Passion of the Christ" would have gone with the biggest producers and distributors in Hollywood, because it was wildly popular and made lots of money.

But. Jews run Hollywood, Jews hate Jesus, so no big outfit wanted it. Just something to remember next time some idiot leftist tells you that profits motivate everything. Yes, they motivate a lot, but RACE motivates far more.

Forum List

Back