NFL Rookie Of The Year? RGIII ? Russell Wilson ? Andrew Luck ? You Pick!

RG3 is your rookie of the year

nah luck is. Colts where god awful last year. He has real skill.

I am waiting to see if RG3 goes the way of vick.

Wilson is in seattle......shrug...

Wilson goes home this weekend to play the Skins not far from Virginia which is where he was brought up. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't have a few fans cheering for him.

This will be a fascinating match up. It will settle a lot of speculation on two levels. Who is the better QB under the same conditions? Can Seattle indeed play well on the road or not when it is do or die?

The last time they played in a playoff game on the road it was in Chicago...and Hasselbeck had at least a dozen passes dropped in a cold and snowy game. No excuses ...we played great defense and like a Jr High team on offense.

What a great day in NFL football. All three of the much hyped rookies will be on display.

All three will be tested ...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOWPmIp1C7g]Eagles - Doolin Dalton/Desperado Reprise - YouTube[/ame]

In other news QB Russell Wilson throws for 385 yards yesterday...the most by any rookie ever in a playoff game.

And the Seahawks still lost.

I'll say I was impressed with Wilson. But he and RGIII will only be that good as long at their legs hold out. I'm telling you that Luck is the keeper of the group. He's the one that'll be mentioned in the same breath as Elway, Marino, Young.

In other news QB Russell Wilson throws for 385 yards yesterday...the most by any rookie ever in a playoff game.

I'll say I was impressed with Wilson. But he and RGIII will only be that good as long at their legs hold out. I'm telling you that Luck is the keeper of the group. He's the one that'll be mentioned in the same breath as Elway, Marino, Young.

Wilson was better by far than all your previously mentioned QBs in their rookie years. Wilson is setting all time records almost every time he takes the field.

Colin Krapernicle set an all time record the day before for a QB in a playoff game and the next day Wilson broke it.

Wilson set the record for an NFL comeback yesterday.

All these records were available for TPM QBs to own..none of which did.

The great Robbie3G will probably never be able to fullfill his promise in that he didn't know he wasn't an NFL running back. Wilson didn't get hit yesterday.

As for LuckyLuck his team sold the farm far into the future to get him and all the support players they could under the cap so don't be looking for Indyanyanyanoplis to be upgrading soon. They will be one and done in the playoffs if they make it to the playoffs for at least 3-4 years.

Wilson was better by far than all your previously mentioned QBs in their rookie years. Wilson is setting all time records almost every time he takes the field.

Colin Krapernicle set an all time record the day before for a QB in a playoff game and the next day Wilson broke it.

The great Robbie3G will probably never be able to fullfill his promise in that he didn't know he wasn't an NFL running back. Wilson didn't get hit yesterday.

As for LuckyLuck his team sold the farm far into the future to get him and all the support players they could under the cap so don't be looking for Indyanyanyanoplis to be upgrading soon. They will be one and done in the playoffs if they make it to the playoffs for at least 3-4 years.

What record did Kaepernick set that Wilson broke? I thought they played very different games and didn't notice any overlapping records.

I also don't think Wilson got any comeback record because they lost. Usually I think those records are only if a team comes back from a certain margin and wins the game. He ALMOST broke that record, but then the defense and coaching staff had a last minute brain fart and let Atlanta get close enough for the game winning fg.

What record did Kaepernick set that Wilson broke? I thought they played very different games and didn't notice any overlapping records.

I also don't think Wilson got any comeback record because they lost. Usually I think those records are only if a team comes back from a certain margin and wins the game. He ALMOST broke that record, but then the defense and coaching staff had a last minute brain fart and let Atlanta get close enough for the game winning fg.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought I heard the announcers say CK broke the combined passing and running playoff record at 444. Wilson's was 445.

I don't know about the comeback record. I read in the Seattle times that it was a record. It will certainly be remembered by our opponents in the years to come.

You really wanna do a year by year comparison? So if Wilson doesn't throw for 5,084 yards and 48 TDs next season then Marino will have him beat? And Marino did that in an era in which receivers could get hit down field.

And Steve Young waited 6 years (mostly as a back-up to Montana) before he could even play. He was already 30 by the time he was a starter. Yet, you see him on all-time lists all the time, even though he played his main years after his prime! Even now, he's 169th on the all-time rushing list.

And you think what Kafernick and Wilson did was great? That's fine. But it was Steve Young who invented what they did. When he was in the USFL, he became the first pro player ever to throw for 300 yards and rush for 100 yards in a game.

And as for Elway. If you looked at his numbers, you wouldn't even think they were that impressive. But he didn't get to six Super Bowls and win two back to back Super Bowls in the twilight of his career because he was a slouch.

And my all-time favorite, Brett Favre, never even had a decent RB or great WR corps with the Packers and he still put up crazy numbers. And when he did team up with Adrian Peterson, they were only some terrible calls away from winning despite five freaking fumbles.

As for Luck. I didn't catch most of his games. He hasn't passed the eye ball test with me yet, despite having some great stat stuffer games. I just know that Indy dramatically improved with him and that he is probably the best QB I've seen at the college level in about 20 years. And since he has a pro build and great athleticism, I've prognosticating that he'll evolve nicely.

Again, I give Wilson credit. He is very polished as a QB and a person. And I really enjoyed watching him play. However, when a quarterback primarily relies on his legs, that's a red flag for me. You saw how weak RGIII became when he couldn't be a running QB.

fd

Wilson had, what, 385 yards passing and 60 rushing in that game against Atlanta? That is not a QB relying primarily on his legs.

We have years to go before we see if any of this year's rookies (or last year's) can get to the level of the great all-time QB's. One good year isn't that unusual, it's sustaining that kind of success over a career that is important. Of the three rookies, Wilson looks to have the best team around him to maintain a high level of success.

Wilson had, what, 385 yards passing and 60 rushing in that game against Atlanta? That is not a QB relying primarily on his legs.

We have years to go before we see if any of this year's rookies (or last year's) can get to the level of the great all-time QB's. One good year isn't that unusual, it's sustaining that kind of success over a career that is important. Of the three rookies, Wilson looks to have the best team around him to maintain a high level of success.

He had to allude a lot of defenders with his legs and get out of the pocket. Also, his running makes it so that LBs can't commit as much to pass coverage. His legs are a crucial part of his formula right now.

You really wanna do a year by year comparison? So if Wilson doesn't throw for 5,084 yards and 48 TDs next season then Marino will have him beat? And Marino did that in an era in which receivers could get hit down field.

And Steve Young waited 6 years (mostly as a back-up to Montana) before he could even play. He was already 30 by the time he was a starter. Yet, you see him on all-time lists all the time, even though he played his main years after his prime! Even now, he's 169th on the all-time rushing list.

And you think what Kafernick and Wilson did was great? That's fine. But it was Steve Young who invented what they did. When he was in the USFL, he became the first pro player ever to throw for 300 yards and rush for 100 yards in a game.

And as for Elway. If you looked at his numbers, you wouldn't even think they were that impressive. But he didn't get to six Super Bowls and win two back to back Super Bowls in the twilight of his career because he was a slouch.

And my all-time favorite, Brett Favre, never even had a decent RB or great WR corps with the Packers and he still put up crazy numbers. And when he did team up with Adrian Peterson, they were only some terrible calls away from winning despite five freaking fumbles.

As for Luck. I didn't catch most of his games. He hasn't passed the eye ball test with me yet, despite having some great stat stuffer games. I just know that Indy dramatically improved with him and that he is probably the best QB I've seen at the college level in about 20 years. And since he has a pro build and great athleticism, I've prognosticating that he'll evolve nicely.

Again, I give Wilson credit. He is very polished as a QB and a person. And I really enjoyed watching him play. However, when a quarterback primarily relies on his legs, that's a red flag for me. You saw how weak RGIII became when he couldn't be a running QB.

fd

Marino only had two great years. 1984 and 1986. 48 and 44 passing TD's his second and fourth seasons. After those two years in Marino's rankings Wilson out performed Marino in just his rookie year with 26 reg season pass TDs 4 rush TDs and 3 pass and 1 rush TD in post season.

Marino had 9 rush TDs in 16 years.

If Wilson can play even ten years and average his rookie stats he will surpass Marino's 258 total passing TDs and get a combination rush and pass of 300 which would far exceed any QB in history.

Obviously Wilson has only played 1 season..but no rookie QB in the history of the NFL has done better.

And this thread is only about the 2012 rookie of the year.

Can you name one WR Marino had off the top of your head? I can't even name any of his teammates off the top of my head. I know it's been a while and all; but he played with nobodies in a tougher era and put up great numbers. He threw for 5,000 yards in an era that 4,000 yards was amazing. I watched the guy play. He's arguably the greatest QB to ever play. To pretend Wilson holds a candle to him? Lay off the homer juice dude.

There has been a lot of talk about future durability of the recent crop of NFL QBs specifically Russell Wilson.

Ya ..ya..Luck will end up with the longevity ..why is that? He got sacked 41 times in the reg season to Wilsons 33.

I haven't seen Wilson get hit on any of his runs beyond the LOS.

He's smart..he slides when danger gets near. I would be willing to bet that Andrew Luck is nursing more bruises from NFL season 2012 than Russell Wilson.

Can you name one WR Marino had off the top of your head? I can't even name any of his teammates off the top of my head. I know it's been a while and all; but he played with nobodies in a tougher era and put up great numbers. He threw for 5,000 yards in an era that 4,000 yards was amazing. I watched the guy play. He's arguably the greatest QB to ever play. To pretend Wilson holds a candle to him? Lay off the homer juice dude.

When Have I ever said Wilson is the greatest QB to have ever played the game? You really need to lay off the hate "Dude" .

This thread is only about rookies. Everyone in the whole damn country has admiration of Wilson's rookie year "Dude".

He has the best ROOKIE stats ever "Dude". To say that is not an extra ordinary accomplishment is just willfully ignorant....."Dude".

Duper, Clayton, Moore....

Did you find anything else interesting on pro-football-reference dot com? LOL I barely remember them even with you reminding me. In fact, Duper is the only one even ringing the bell. Don Shula was the only other notable on that team. LOL

Did you find anything else interesting on pro-football-reference dot com? LOL I barely remember them even with you reminding me. In fact, Duper is the only one even ringing the bell. Don Shula was the only other notable on that team. LOL

I used to be a big Dolphins fan in the 70's. Lived part time in Pompano Beach from 75-80. Actually met Larry Csonka in a bar and saved his life. I was a pilot at the time...had places in PB..Boulder and Seattle.

Those kinda memories leave a strong impression.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back