NFL players are the best athletes on theplanet

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
Esp the skill- position players - QBs, running backs, recievers ... they routinely wiped out the NBA players in superstars competitions

Last edited:
I would beg to differ. Gymnasts are probably the most physically fit athletes.

As far as greatest athletes, the men who compete in the decathlon would put most NFL skill players to shame.

As far as greatest athletes, the men who compete in the decathlon would put most NFL skill players to shame.

You ever PLAYED the game of football? High school football, maybe?

Unless you've played ORGANIZED football, and felt the physical brutality of the game first-hand, you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Decathlete versus a football player? Really? Gymnasts? Really? Why didn't you include golfers and bowlers too?

Ginscpy is absolutely right on. Football players are, by far, the best all-around athletes in the WORLD.

Unless you've played ORGANIZED football, and felt the physical brutality of the game first-hand, you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Decathlete versus a football player? Really? Gymnasts? Really? Why didn't you include golfers and bowlers too?

Ginscpy is absolutely right on. Football players are, by far, the best all-around athletes in the WORLD.

Yes, I played football in high school. I started as a linebacker my junior & senior year. I remember puking my guts out at summer practice. And I am not saying they are not fit to the extreme. But have you looked at what decathlon athletes do? Have you watched an Iron Man competition?

The skill players never have to run more than 100 yards at a time. Granted, there are obstacles, but a 1500 meter sprint is harder than a 100 yard dash, as far as the aerobic endurance goes.

And gymnastics? Have you seen what those guys are capable of doing? No, they don't hit anyone and its not a "tough man" kinda sport. But the level of physical fitness is amazing.

Yes, I played football in high school. I started as a linebacker my junior & senior year. I remember puking my guts out at summer practice. And I am not saying they are not fit to the extreme. But have you looked at what decathlon athletes do? Have you watched an Iron Man competition?

The skill players never have to run more than 100 yards at a time. Granted, there are obstacles, but a 1500 meter sprint is harder than a 100 yard dash, as far as the aerobic endurance goes.

And gymnastics? Have you seen what those guys are capable of doing? No, they don't hit anyone and its not a "tough man" kinda sport. But the level of physical fitness is amazing.

You are trying to compare apples to potatoes.

You are taking athletes who specialize in ONE or two NON-CONTACT "sports" (gymnastics, track & field, swimming) and trying to compare them to athletes who are, overall, stronger, tougher, faster, etc. than ANY athletes in any of the specialized sports you mentioned.

How long would a gymnast or decathlete last on a football field? Better have an ambulance, and probably a coroner, standing by.

Last edited:

You are trying to compare apples to potatoes.

You are taking athletes who specialize in ONE or two NON-CONTACT "sports" (gymnastics, track & field, swimming) and trying to compare them to athletes who are, overall, stronger, tougher, faster, etc. than ANY athletes in any of the specialized sports you mentioned.

How long would a gymnast or decathlete last on a football field? Better have an ambulance, and probably a coroner, standing by.

About as long as an NFL player would last on the rings. I am comparing physical fitness. You want to compare participation in a given sport.

Surviving impact is an odd way to measure physical fitness, don't you think?

I would agree on triathlon as a contender for best athlete. Decathlon is ten track and field events, none of which are especially demanding physically.

Gymnasts are great athletes having great physical strength and dexterity.

Basketball players have good stamina, physical dexterity and hand eye coordination

I love football, but don't consider them to be great athletes. Exert for five seconds, take off 45 seconds and then rest ten minutes while the other side gets the ball.

Soccer is physically demanding and requires great dexterity

If we're talking only the 4 major sports, I'd argue that hockey players are much tougher and fit.

Soccer is physically demanding

Don't ever discuss sports again.

I get that you don't like soccer. But the fact is that it IS a physically demanding sport.

I get that you don't like soccer. But the fact is that it IS a physically demanding sport.

Yeah sure it is. The fullbacks just work their asses off when their team gets the ball into the opponent's territory, right? And the goalies. I mean with SOOO many shots on goal, they just bust their asses for 90 straight minutes. :rolleyes:

Sorry bro, too much lag time during games to be comparing physical demands of soccer with some of the other major sports.

My son plays Lacrosse in college and has played since he was 12.
Football is a pussy sport compared to Lacrosse.

Yeah sure it is. The fullbacks just work their asses off when their team gets the ball into the opponent's territory, right? And the goalies. I mean with SOOO many shots on goal, they just bust their asses for 90 straight minutes. :rolleyes:

Sorry bro, too much lag time during games to be comparing physical demands of soccer with some of the other major sports.

Not many timeouts and no substitutions in soccer. I consider soccer to be one of the dullest games on earth, but the players are constantly running up and down the field for an hour and a half. Dexterity in moving a ball through conjested areas of the field and getting a shot on goal is impressive

But the answer is: Wrestlers

I wrestled in high school. It was indeed a rough sport.
The practices weren't picnics either.

How about a tennis line judge?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2irFXcNqgXw]Line judge struck in face by Fish's serve wimbledon 2012 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga vs Mardy Fish - YouTube[/ame]

But the answer is: Wrestlers

I wrestled in high school. It was indeed a rough sport.
The practices weren't picnics either.

How about a tennis line judge?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2irFXcNqgXw]Line judge struck in face by Fish's serve wimbledon 2012 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga vs Mardy Fish - YouTube[/ame]

Ouch. She must have ended up with quite the shiner.

Not many timeouts and no substitutions in soccer. I consider soccer to be one of the dullest games on earth, but the players are constantly running up and down the field for an hour and a half. Dexterity in moving a ball through conjested areas of the field and getting a shot on goal is impressive

The average pulse rate for a soccer player during a game is 150-170. That is pretty high for a 90 minute workout.

Forum List

Back