NFL Player Pat Tillman killed in action in Afghanistan

lilcountriegal

Oct 24, 2003
Pennsylvania
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Former NFL player Pat Tillman was killed Thursday while serving as an Army Special Forces soldier on a mission in southeastern Afghanistan, Pentagon officials have told CNN.

Tillman, who walked away from a $3.6 million contract as a safety with the Arizona Cardinals to join the military, was in an area where numerous U.S. troops have been killed in battles with suspected al Qaeda and Taliban fighters.

He was serving as an Army Ranger, part of the Army's Special Forces. Tillman played for the Cardinals from 1998-2001.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/football/nfl/04/23/tillman.killed/index.html?cnn=yes

Wow.
Rest in peace, indeed.
Without knowing the details of his situation, but knowing he turned down millions of dollars to serve his country... I don't know the words to describe that sort of patriotism.

Likely, he was financially secure and the money wasn' that big of an issue.
but that's all the more reason to admire his patriotism. He didn't HAVE to work another day in his life, but still, he put himself in harm's way.

Originally posted by Sir Evil
The man said that the Sept.11 attacks inspired him to join the elite forces! Giving up the money he was making really shows his patriotism for sure!! He dies a hero as far as I am concerned!

Yeah, I think after Serpt. 11 alot of people looked at their lives/contributions a bit...um... differently. I remember for the first month I didn't even want to get out of bed or go outside really. I was just so depressed.

Then I just wanted to kick someone's ass! And I'm generally a pretty peaceful person. Well, I do my part and I haven't lashed out at anyone.

But if someone tried to pick a fight with me at abar for no reason, that October, I likely would have thrown them through a wall. I guess one thing I had a new appreciation for was the violent ways people can act towards eachother FOR NO REASON AT ALL.

But of course, my throwing someone through a wall would not help things.
I can' t tolerate bullies, though.

I see terrorists as bullies in a sense, bullies who claim to kill in the name of God. As if God would ever tell you to go overseas and kill thousands of people on their way to work.

Some people :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Sir Evil
He dies a hero as far as I am concerned!
Yes he did, as well as all of the other good men and women who have served and gave their lives. God bless them and their families!

Wow... I remember reading about Tillman a couple of years ago. No words really come to mind except that I am proud to have men like that serving our country.

RIP our Dear American Hero ...

This was a true man of his country...

Forum List

Back