NFL lowers the boom on the Saints

The NFL revealed in early March an investigation which found more than 20 defensive players for the Saints participated in a 'bounty' system from 2009 to '11 which rewarded individuals with cash for harming opposing players.

Meh - I don't get it. Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith used to pay their linemen for a job well done. Presumably every play is considered an opportunity by a defensive player to knock the opposing offensive backfield out of the game. If they hit legally then it's simply understood that it's a good thing to do.

Alabama won national title a couple years back with exactly this strategy.

If the hit is done illegally, especially in bad sportmanship (e.g. after the whistle or whatever) then the defensive player risks suspension and fines and that would make a few thousand dollars seem like chump change.

I think Goodell is really upset because it's just such bad taste. But bad taste in New Orleans is about as common as cream sauce on fried food.

The NFL should just take the last step and make it a woman's league.

This may be the tipping point for me to stop watching football.

You enjoy watching players hurt? You enjoy seeing good quarterbacks driven from the field? You would rather watch poor quality football because the good players are sidelined? That makes no sense whatsoever.
You may have enjoyed Rome with the gladiatorial games where swords were used to chop up opponents. Maybe you would have liked seeing the Christians thrown to the lions.

You may have enjoyed Rome with the gladiatorial games where swords were used to chop up opponents. Maybe you would have liked seeing the Christians thrown to the lions.

Yeppers.

You enjoy watching players hurt? You enjoy seeing good quarterbacks driven from the field? You would rather watch poor quality football because the good players are sidelined?

Sidelining the good quarterback was the goal when I played high school football. I don't ever recall my coach having a "tackle, but don't hurt" mentality.

I recall him telling us that he put shoulder pads on us so that we could hurt our opponents. I recall him telling us to him them hard even if we didn't have to so that maybe next time they'd hear footsteps. I recall being punished brutally in the August heat and in the November cold if he felt we were "rodeo tackling" or doing anything else that would be considered anything other than hard and determined hitting.

I don't remember him being all that concerned about the how the quality of play might suffer if we were to knock some of the other team's backfield out of the game. Maybe I just had a mean coach.

Yeppers.

You enjoy watching players hurt? You enjoy seeing good quarterbacks driven from the field? You would rather watch poor quality football because the good players are sidelined?

Sidelining the good quarterback was the goal when I played high school football. I don't ever recall my coach having a "tackle, but don't hurt" mentality.

I recall him telling us that he put shoulder pads on us so that we could hurt our opponents. I recall him telling us to him them hard even if we didn't have to so that maybe next time they'd hear footsteps. I recall being punished brutally in the August heat and in the November cold if he felt we were "rodeo tackling" or doing anything else that would be considered anything other than hard and determined hitting.

I don't remember him being all that concerned about the how the quality of play might suffer if we were to knock some of the other team's backfield out of the game. Maybe I just had a mean coach.

Considering the number of serious injuries it may be time to tone it down. I think the league went light on it's fines and suspensions.

Considering the number of serious injuries it may be time to tone it down. I think the league went light on it's fines and suspensions.

Are you talking about a statistical increase in serious injuries recently as opposed to the past that can be attributed to an official study done by an unbiased and reputable source?

Or are you just blabbing about something that you know nothing about?

To me, the punishment seems disproportionate. But you have to say that Goodell is one tough SOB. Someone should pay for any season ticket holder who wants to return their tickets though.

As for bounties; I seem to recall the Oilers way back in the day where the coach would tell the defense to bring him the quarterback's helmet....preferably with his head still in it.

Are you talking about a statistical increase in serious injuries recently as opposed to the past that can be attributed to an official study done by an unbiased and reputable source?

Methinks she'll oogle and google over a lingerie league, where only grabbing is allowed.

Methinks she'll oogle and google over a lingerie league, where only grabbing is allowed.

I don't know if you're complaining about the LFL or not, but if you are then FYF! The LFL kicks ass!

The end.

To me, the punishment seems disproportionate. But you have to say that Goodell is one tough SOB. Someone should pay for any season ticket holder who wants to return their tickets though.

As for bounties; I seem to recall the Oilers way back in the day where the coach would tell the defense to bring him the quarterback's helmet....preferably with his head still in it.

Are you kidding?

For once, I happen to agree with the ruling, but that SOB Goodell is single handedly trying to destroy the NFL by making the players into panzies. It wouldn't surprise me if he issued a statement soon that required the players to wear tutu's and ballet slippers, before, during and after games.

If anyone needs to go from the NFL, it is Roger Goodell before he makes the NFL into a flag league.

Immie

Forum List

Back