NFL lowers the boom on the Saints

The NFL revealed in early March an investigation which found more than 20 defensive players for the Saints participated in a 'bounty' system from 2009 to '11 which rewarded individuals with cash for harming opposing players.

"We are all accountable and responsible for player health and safety and the integrity of the game," Commissioner Roger Goodell said Wednesday. "We will not tolerate conduct or a culture that undermines those priorities. No one is above the game or the rules that govern it. Respect for the game and the people who participate in it will not be compromised."

The league found that the cash pool reached $50,000 or more during the 2009 playoffs, and players were paid $1,500 for a "knockout" and $1,000 for a "cart-off" with payouts doubling or tripling during the playoffs. Money was provided primarily by players.

All such payments violate league rules for non-contract bonuses.

Sean Payton suspended, Saints fined for bounty program

The NFL should just take the last step and make it a woman's league.

This may be the tipping point for me to stop watching football.

Good.
We don't need fans like you.

This was absolute bullshit by the saints. Oakland Raiders and Green Bay were suspected of it years ago also.
Injuries can end a players career. I am a Steelers fan so smash-mouth football is my kind of game - but that is far and away different from a system that strongly encouraged the defense to target specific opposing players and injure them to the point of having to be removed from the game.
That is despicable and the NFL handled it appropriately. Now we can wait and see if the Saints organization cleans up the roster of coaches permanently or lose respect from the entire league if they don't.

Gooddell does not fuck around. He won't let anything kill the fatted calf.
I feel bad for Payton because I really question if they were the only team doing this. It goes back to Buddy Ryan and probably before.
A year...you wonder has he basically lost his job at this point?

I feel bad for Payton because I really question if they were the only team doing this. It goes back to Buddy Ryan and probably before.

I would hope so.
Green Bay..what was it...about 15 years ago I guess...they were accused of it back then, I remember how dirty they played then. They hurt the Bears QB for nearly a season.
That is bullshit football. I don't want to watch a game where wide receivers jumping for the ball get hit so hard they get a concussion from the sheer G-Force.
I like tough football...I don't like convict style ball.

Dots were never connected to Buddy Ryan!
An Eagles coach would never be involved in hatching such a heinous, devious unsportsmanlike plot! :D

Sean Payton suspended, Saints fined for bounty program

New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton has been suspended for one year and the Saints will lose their second round pick in 2012 and '13 and pay $500,000 as a result of the NFL's bounty investigation, the league announced Wednesday.

Anyone who watched the NFC Championship game against the Vikings that effectively crippled Favre knew this was going on.

It was like watching a referee in a prize fight refuse to call low blows.

That game was a disgrace for the NFL referees and should have triggered this penalty at that time.

We can hope so.

Good.

This was absolute bullshit by the saints. Oakland Raiders and Green Bay were suspected of it years ago also.
Injuries can end a players career. I am a Steelers fan so smash-mouth football is my kind of game - but that is far and away different from a system that strongly encouraged the defense to target specific opposing players and injure them to the point of having to be removed from the game.
That is despicable and the NFL handled it appropriately. Now we can wait and see if the Saints organization cleans up the roster of coaches permanently or lose respect from the entire league if they don't.

I guess you aren't in favor of players playing at 100%, 100% of the time.

Good.

I guess you aren't in favor of players playing at 100%, 100% of the time.

Not by your definition.
Why not have them play without pads and helmets?
That way it is REALLY 100%.

That's not harsh.

A first round pick would be harsh.

Totally getting rid of management like they did in SF would be harsh.

All New Orleans needs to do is hire a good coach and they're back in business.

Forum List

Back