NFL DRAFT TONIGHT # 8 Detroit Lions Questions

And last but not least....this is a big boy....a DT from Tucson:

det.png

PJ Johnson
  • DT
  • Junior
  • 6-4, 334 lbs
  • Arizona

Am I correct, that the Lions did not draft an OL? I thought that was their top need, a run-blocking RG. The guys they have now (Wiggins, Aboushi, Dahl) are not considered even average run-blockers, so you would think a team that wants to get better at running the ball woulda drafted an RG guy. I'm no expert, but it sure looks like the Lions could've drafted some of these guys in a later round.

Am I correct, that the Lions did not draft an OL? I thought that was their top need, a run-blocking RG. The guys they have now (Wiggins, Aboushi, Dahl) are not considered even average run-blockers, so you would think a team that wants to get better at running the ball woulda drafted an RG guy. I'm no expert, but it sure looks like the Lions could've drafted some of these guys in a later round.

Bob says he's okay at RG with the three they have.....I don't get it...none of them are starter quality. My hunch is he's going to trade for a starter, sign a FA, or wait until other teams release one (for salary reasons...he has some cap money left to spend) who he believes can fill the slot. He had a lot of holes to fill and he filled them...albeit with some questionable pics, especially in the 2nd round.

Lions don't draft a guard, are happy with what they have

Bob says he's okay at RG with the three they have.....I don't get it...none of them are starter quality. My hunch is he's going to trade for a starter, sign a FA, or wait until other teams release one (for salary reasons...he has some cap money left to spend) who he believes can fill the slot. He had a lot of holes to fill and he filled them...albeit with some questionable pics, especially in the 2nd round.

Lions don't draft a guard, are happy with what they have

What else is Bob going to say? "Boy, I effed up big time by not taking a good RG prospect"? Not being snarky here, I am really disappointed. Maybe the new OC and the new TEs will kinda lighten the load on the interior OL, or maybe they're going to change some things to make Wiggins less vulnerable or something, I dunno. But if the offense continues to sputter and if it is believed that a big part of the problem is at RG, then that's on Quinn.

When you are the Pats with your 6 Lombardis and you have a draft like that, you can say "trust me" and get away with it. But when you're the Lions that haven't done squat in over 60 years, "trust me" just doesn't cut it. I know, I know, I don't know what they know and all that, but to me it looks like they passed up superior talent at least a couple of times. Did Quinn have Tavia as a 2nd round talent? Did he reach for a guy cuz he thought the Pats would take him? To me, that's really stupid, if the Pats take him then that's life dude, sometimes the guy you want gets taken before you can draft him, and you move on. But you don't reach for a guy, this feels like Teez Tabor, part 2.

Hey Will, did you see this?

#Wisconsin guard Beau Benzschawel, who had offers from more than 20 teams, is signing with the #Lions as an undrafted free agent, sources said.

Per Rapoport’s report, the guard had more than 20 teams offering him a deal as an undrafted free agent. He chose to come to Detroit, and will have a chance to compete for a roster spot this training camp.

The guard played four seasons for the Badgers. He was named as an All-American in both 2017 and 2018. He also earned first team All-Big Ten honors in both years. In 2016 he was named second team All-Big 10.

Benzschawel should fit in well with the Lions offense — which projects to be run heavy under new offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell — as he was named by Pro Football Focus to be the best run blocker in college football last season.

Per that PFF link:

1. G BEAU BENZSCHAWEL, WISCONSIN
The 6-foot-6, 309-pound Beau Benzschawel is a menacing run blocker with above-average size and athleticism for the guard position. He has started games at right tackle, guard and center throughout his collegiate career, and he played tight end, defensive end, basketball and baseball at Wisconsin’s Grafton High School. He led all qualifying draft-eligible interior offensive linemen in run-blocking grade (88.9) and ranked second among all FBS guards with 200-plus run-blocking snaps in positively-graded run-block percentage (19.68%) in 2018.

Number 1, this tells me he ain't so good at pass pro. But, if he gets stronger and with good coaching, maybe he is the RG of the future. I'm thinking the Lions are going to roll with the best of Wiggins, Aboshi, and Dahl until BB is ready. Wiggins has a cap hit of about $3 mil, so his job might be in jeopardy.

#Wisconsin guard Beau Benzschawel, who had offers from more than 20 teams, is signing with the #Lions as an undrafted free agent, sources said.

Per Rapoport’s report, the guard had more than 20 teams offering him a deal as an undrafted free agent. He chose to come to Detroit, and will have a chance to compete for a roster spot this training camp.

The guard played four seasons for the Badgers. He was named as an All-American in both 2017 and 2018. He also earned first team All-Big Ten honors in both years. In 2016 he was named second team All-Big 10.

Benzschawel should fit in well with the Lions offense — which projects to be run heavy under new offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell — as he was named by Pro Football Focus to be the best run blocker in college football last season.

Per that PFF link:

The 6-foot-6, 309-pound Beau Benzschawel is a menacing run blocker with above-average size and athleticism for the guard position. He has started games at right tackle, guard and center throughout his collegiate career, and he played tight end, defensive end, basketball and baseball at Wisconsin’s Grafton High School. He led all qualifying draft-eligible interior offensive linemen in run-blocking grade (88.9) and ranked second among all FBS guards with 200-plus run-blocking snaps in positively-graded run-block percentage (19.68%) in 2018.

Number 1, this tells me he ain't so good at pass pro. But, if he gets stronger and with good coaching, maybe he is the RG of the future. I'm thinking the Lions are going to roll with the best of Wiggins, Aboshi, and Dahl until BB is ready. Wiggins has a cap hit of about $3 mil, so his job might be in jeopardy.

Sorry, I was banned for a few days. The News ran a story on him the other day...seems he needs to improve his footwork for pass-blocking. Since the Lions want to feature their RB, he could get some reps if he has a good camp. I still have a hunch Quinn has a trade simmering on the stove to get a starter. Nobody has All-Pros at every position and I'd much rather have a strong left side (Stafford's blind-side) and they do, than right side. On the other hand, most RBs like to run to their right, being right-handed, and the body shielding the ball so a pulling RG is more important to the run game...maybe the answer is a 3 man rotation so everybody is still fresh for the 4th quarter.

Per that PFF link:

Sorry, I was banned for a few days. The News ran a story on him the other day...seems he needs to improve his footwork for pass-blocking. Since the Lions want to feature their RB, he could get some reps if he has a good camp. I still have a hunch Quinn has a trade simmering on the stove to get a starter. Nobody has All-Pros at every position and I'd much rather have a strong left side (Stafford's blind-side) and they do, than right side. On the other hand, most RBs like to run to their right, being right-handed, and the body shielding the ball so a pulling RG is more important to the run game...maybe the answer is a 3 man rotation so everybody is still fresh for the 4th quarter.

I suspect that BeBe is going to need awhile to adjust to the NFL and get stronger, not mention learning whatever he's gotta do as an RG. Maybe he can step into the job later into the season, we'll see how it goes. And Crosby will get a looksee there too, but I'm not counting any chickens. Maybe they trade or sign an FA RG, but it would be unexpected I think. You never know who's gonna get released for cap reasons though.

I'd also like to see the Lions sign a decent LB, they seem to be a little bit thin there.

I suspect that BeBe is going to need awhile to adjust to the NFL and get stronger, not mention learning whatever he's gotta do as an RG. Maybe he can step into the job later into the season, we'll see how it goes. And Crosby will get a looksee there too, but I'm not counting any chickens. Maybe they trade or sign an FA RG, but it would be unexpected I think. You never know who's gonna get released for cap reasons though.

I'd also like to see the Lions sign a decent LB, they seem to be a little bit thin there.

Entertaining article on Wiggins:

Detroit Lions' Kenny Wiggins vying for open line spot: 'I've done it all'

Forum List

Back