Next Stop Iran

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by onedomino, Jun 10, 2007.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    The chances that Iran will stop uranium enrichment, and the drive to obtain nuclear weapons, are next to zero. They believe that nuclear weapons will guarantee the survival of the totalitarian and terrorist Mullah regime.

The Economist Magazine thinks that an armed strike against Iran may not be necessay. I have my doubts, but we will see.

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I don't think that necessarily the US will have to do it, we all know UN isn't going to. If it appears that they are close to development of a deliverable weapon, I think Israel will hit them and perhaps because of the difficulty in doing so, might well be nuclear.

If somehow the US does, more likely to be conventional.

3. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Strikes against Iran may come sooner than we think, and for a different reason:

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I'd like to think he has that kind of influence, but don't think so. Interestingly enough, I heard him speaking tonight that he's not getting involved with any presidential campaigns, until the nominees are decided. He says that currently he has to side more with nearly all the Republicans on the #1 issue facing the American people, the WOT.

5. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I think they must be stopped long before a nuclear weapon is "deliverable." They must be stopped before they possess such a weapon, deliverable or not. The Iranians seem to doubt America's resolve on this issue. They have hit us many times since 1979 and we have done nothing in retaliation, thereby increasing doubt of US resolve. But there must be one or two rational heads in Tehran. Well, maybe not. But if there were, what do they see as the benefit of provoking a US attack? Are they playing this game only to stop short of nuke weapon possession in an effort to extort maximum economic advantage? Maybe they have miscalculated and believe that in the end the US will do nothing. They may be right, if someone like Obama gets elected.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I do not think the US will move preemptively against Iran, we are too overextended now, for good or non reasons. I do see the likelihood though of Israel, I could be wrong.

7. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Not necessarily right now. I agree that Joe will not get his way immediately, although I wish he would. The shipment of EFP to Iraq is an act of war. When I say stop Iran, I am referring to the Air Force and Navy. And they are not too extended to take action. I am not an avocate of a ground invasion of Iran, although an attack designed to take out Iran's uranium enrichment facilities (located deep underground) may necessarily involve Special Forces, if only to verify success.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I've never been all that up on military strategies, but I do remember reading that air and spec. forces, alone with conventional weapons, are incapable of stopping an armed state. Lord knows, we have plenty here who know more on this than I.

If memory serves, that is basically what was tried in Vietnam, under JFK. It's also what we wanted to confine ourselves to, more or less, in Gulf War I.

9. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Sorry, I'm not scared.

I heard Bush and his followers make the same claims about Iraq: that they were close to having nukes, and they had huge stockpiles of WMD.

I didn't fall for it the first time. I sure am not falling for it again.

Does Iran need to submit to international inspections, for their civilian nuclear program? Yes. Is it possible they have a research program, on how to weaponize uranium? Probably. They've had a nuclear research program going back to the Shah 30 years ago. We didn't complain about it when the shah was doing it. Is enriching civilian-grade uranium into weapons grade uranium an exceedingly difficult technical challenge (yes) - one the iranians haven't yet overcome? Probably.

Are they close to weaponizing enriched uranium, and putting it on missles? Show me the evidence.

10. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,989
    You just admitted yu do NOT beieve the evidence. So basicly unless we can take you by the hand and have you touch a nuclear warhead you will not believe it, and even then I bet yo would claim it was just a trick.

People like you are why we are in danger.

As to striking Iran , it is a bad idea unless we are prepared for a ground war. Is anyone actually niave enough to believe if we bomb Iran they won't move against our troops in Iraq?