Newtown Shooting & Entertainment: Film & TV Industries Cancel Premieres & Screenings

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
Newtown Shooting & Entertainment: Film & TV Industries Cancel Premieres & Screenings In Tragedy's Wake

NEW YORK — The Connecticut school shooting rampage compelled Hollywood to air disclaimers before violent television shows, swap some programs for others, cancel film openings and present somber specials on daytime TV shows that are usually more focused on entertainment.

The responses came in addition to news specials on Friday's killing of 27 people, most of them school children, in Newtown, Conn., by a gunman who later took his own life.

Showtime gave its viewers a special warning Sunday before the season finales of the thriller series "Homeland," and "Dexter," a series about a serial killer.

"In light of the tragedy that has occurred in Connecticut, the following program contains images that may be disturbing," said the disclaimer before both programs.

Another cable network, HBO, postponed airings of the 2012 crime thriller "Contraband" over the weekend. The film with Mark Wahlberg and Kate Beckinsale was replaced by airings of "Crazy, Stupid Love" and the remake of "Arthur," the network said.

The Film Society of Lincoln Center in New York canceled Monday's screening of Tom Cruise's violent new movie, "Jack Reacher," that was to include a conversation with the actor. A scheduled premiere of the movie in Pittsburgh had also been postponed over the weekend.

In Los Angeles, the Weinstein Co. canceled Tuesday's planned premiere of the violent movie "Django Unchained."

The TLC network postponed a Dec. 27 special, "Best Funeral Ever," about a colorful Dallas funeral home. The show, considered a pilot for a potential series, will instead air during the first week of January.

Newtown Shooting & Entertainment: Film & TV Industries Cancel Premieres & Screenings In Tragedy's Wake

Definitely noticed the disclaimers before Dexter & Homeland series this past Sunday and already figured that it was in direct response to the Sandy Shootings.

Movie Industry isn't that stupid because after the attacks on the NRA, their industry along with the makers of those violent video games will come under attack too and rightly so.

Notice how everyone fixates on whatever their pet cause is.

It's video games, movies, might be rap music too. It's guns. It's something OTHER than the individual's insanity. You cannot legislate sanity. You can legislate everything else.

Definitely noticed the disclaimers before Dexter & Homeland series this past Sunday and already figured that it was in direct response to the Sandy Shootings.

Movie Industry isn't that stupid because after the attacks on the NRA, their industry along with the makers of those violent video games will come under attack too and rightly so.

I don't pretend to imagine that much change will be forthcoming in the type of 'entertainment' that is offered. So many times I have wanted to be able to watch something on TV that wasn't related to crime--but that is apparently what 'sells'.

I don't know if the video games are inherently harmful--presumably 'millions' participate and few seem to respond violently themselves. I wouldn't enjoy that sort of game--assuming you must be able to strategize, for one thing and have an affinity for machines/technology.

Maybe sociologists have theories about how the culture has changed and can pinpoint when the changes occurred. I don't have that sort of specific fyi--I know there have been some changes and things don't seem to be 'better'. It then seems that the choice is to 'overcome' the cultural influences and live your life in a more positive style?

People today, even crazy people have a right to be happy. If they aren't happy, it's someone's fault and they must be punished.

My wife and I have no problem understanding that Dexter is a TV show and it's characters are not real.

But then again neither one of us are under the influence of FDA Approved Medications that have huge side effects. (Like most Americans are)

Forum List

Back