Newt won hands down

He shut down Ron Paul's incoherent foreign policy with an analogy of the US being attacked with missiles like Israel and we wouldn't wait to sit down and try to negotiate with the terrorists.

I dunno, there was an awful lot of silence when he was trying to defend his work in relation to Freddie and Fanny and trying to explain how great government spending programs are.

Ron Paul's utterly insane foreign policy delusions are the softest softball imaginable.

I agree about Newt. The FF think was the only real downside to his debate last night. His taking money as a consultant doesnt' bother me but I'm some will be turned off by it. I thought Newt was strong on all the other topics.

Actually I think all of them did pretty well last night.

Perry really surprised me. He was pretty damned good last night.

I'm beginning to think Ron Paul is nuts. Jesus he's a flake.

He shut down Ron Paul's incoherent foreign policy with an analogy of the US being attacked with missiles like Israel and we wouldn't wait to sit down and try to negotiate with the terrorists.

Wow, talk about apples and oranges. I doubt Canada or Mexico will start launching missiles at us for no reason. Honestly, that was an idiotic analogy.

But hey, if your belief is that we should start a war with every country on the planet that could conceivably one day become some kind of a threat to us, then Newt is your man.

Tis' the GOP platform, yet again.....

In my wildest dreams I cannot imagine a more desirable scenario than Newt being the Republican nominee. I think back to what Barney Fife.........er...Frank said, "I Must Have Done Something Right During My Lifetime To Be Handed Newt Gingrich As The Republican Nominee For President."

If you left your 13 year old daughter and bank account alone in a room with Newtie for half a day, would either be in the same shape as you left them when you returned?

Newtie is personable, intelligent, and has a great sense of humor. He is also totally amoral. Fact.

If you left your 13 year old daughter and bank account alone in a room with Newtie for half a day, would either be in the same shape as you left them when you returned?

Newtie is personable, intelligent, and has a great sense of humor. He is also totally amoral. Fact.

His representative companies took in over a hundred million dollars of taxpayer's money....indirectly but bet your ass he got it.

He personally took in over a million dollars for his influence peddling but after his record of bounced checks and under the counter transactions that finally caused him to have to resign his position as house speaker......what would one expect.

Not sure what planet you live on but Newt took it on the chin all night, according to almost all analysts for about every news organization. He was attacked constantly by almost everyone. Let me summarize the debate for you.

SUMMARY: Santorum accuses another country of theocracy (Really?!), Ron Paul kicks Michele in the teeth regarding Iran policy (I fought when there was a REAL WAR, warmongering, etc), and Newt dances when accused of taking taxpayer money via FreddyMac. Ron Paul says nah I don't tango, you worked for a government sponsored enterprise not a "free enterprise". Ding ding! Winners are Ron Paul for owning everyone that came at him other than Romney (who didn't attack him because of fear of retaliation; sad but smart), and Mitt Romney for subliminally attacking Obama at every corner essentially "self-proclaiming" the nomination already. Well played.

I dunno, there was an awful lot of silence when he was trying to defend his work in relation to Freddie and Fanny and trying to explain how great government spending programs are.

Ron Paul's utterly insane foreign policy delusions are the softest softball imaginable.

I agree about Newt. The FF think was the only real downside to his debate last night. His taking money as a consultant doesnt' bother me but I'm some will be turned off by it. I thought Newt was strong on all the other topics.

Actually I think all of them did pretty well last night.

Perry really surprised me. He was pretty damned good last night.

I'm beginning to think Ron Paul is nuts. Jesus he's a flake.

Yeah, whatever Perry was on, I want a 30 day supply. :D ;)

Most party debates - Democrat or Republican - are lame and hard to watch. I watched about 45 seconds of last night's, and that is what I saw. Newt's answer was weak but he's in a box.

In other news, Newt has slipped into second place behind Romney in Iowa in the latest Rasmussen poll.

I think his record is starting to catch up with him. As the event draws closer people are starting to bite their lips and accept that, while they're not crazy about him, Romney has the best shot of beating obama, which is the most pressing issue facing the country right now. Bachmann was pretty clearly auditioning for Romney's VP last night.

Most party debates - Democrat or Republican - are lame and hard to watch. I watched about 45 seconds of last night's, and that is what I saw. Newt's answer was weak but he's in a box.

In other news, Newt has slipped into second place behind Romney in Iowa in the latest Rasmussen poll.

I think his record is starting to catch up with him. As the event draws closer people are starting to bite their lips and accept that, while they're not crazy about him, Romney has the best shot of beating obama, which is the most pressing issue facing the country right now. Bachmann was pretty clearly auditioning for Romney's VP last night.

If she was, she's wasting her time and energy.

What does taking the crazy woman get Romney?

The whole "electability" canard is silly.

Romney couldn't beat McCain. He couldn't beat Ted Kennedy. He BARELY beat Kathleen O'Brien, a complete non-entity.

If he needs Michelle Bachman to rough up Newt for him, what's he going to do with Ahmad or Vladimir?

Actually I thought Bachmann held her own pretty well last night. It probably didn't help her much but she got more face time than she has had in most of the debates and made the most of it. Santorum was stronger than usual; Perry may have actually redeemed himself; I was impressed with Huntsman for the first time last night, and neither Romney nor Gingrich hurt themselves and almost certainly will remain the front runners. But with more than 50% of the Iowa likely voters still indicating they could change their mind, it isn't a slam dunk for anybody yet, and it's anybody's race to win or lose.

And I think thanks to the Tea Party and the overwhelming tide running against Obama right now, I'm not sure the same attack stuff is going to work in this campaign. I think the voters may come to the polls much more sophisticated than they have been in the past and will be putting every bit as much importance on substance as charisma this time around.

Actually I thought Bachmann held her own pretty well last night. It probably didn't help her much but she got more face time than she has had in most of the debates and made the most of it. Santorum was stronger than usual; Perry may have actually redeemed himself; I was impressed with Huntsman for the first time last night, and neither Romney nor Gingrich hurt themselves and almost certainly will remain the front runners. But with more than 50% of the Iowa likely voters still indicating they could change their mind, it isn't a slam dunk for anybody yet, and it's anybody's race to win or lose.

And I think thanks to the Tea Party and the overwhelming tide running against Obama right now, I'm not sure the same attack stuff is going to work in this campaign. I think the voters may come to the polls much more sophisticated than they have been in the past and will be putting every bit as much importance on substance as charisma this time around.

I do think Ron Paul may have shot himself in the foot with his Iran answer... other than that I thought no one really got damaged in this debate.

I think that Bachmann and Perry might have boosted their profiles a bit, but they are probably both done after Iowa.

Ron Paul's wacky foreign policy virtually took him oput of the debate altogether.

No one "wins" debates anymore.

Each candidate's responses are designed so their supporters can claim that they "won" the debate. (That's why no actual debating goes on, just the reading of talking points).

I disagree. Everyone has agreed in the past that Perry had "lost" debates due to poor performance and Newts performance has been so far beyond the others that he has won in almost all of the debates, often with other winners, such as Mitt.

The eye on the prize is still defeating Obama and I personally feel that Newt can out debate Obama at every turn. A sense of history is important to know the culture and what drives each country in their obsessions they value. And not to repeat the history that makes us weaker. Obama would be lost when Newt starts bringing up examples of not repeating the mistakes of the past and knowing your "enemies" and the intrinsic values that are important in understanding their behaviors.

Knowing the weaknesses in our government as well as in others is also important and there is another basis where Newt is the stronger candidate and the overwhelming basics of Obama being a mere community organizer and campaigner will definitely come out.

The debate last night showed Gingrich under attack and he still came out a winner. That is hard to do. Mitt was strong and stayed above they fray, a good diplomacy measure and intelligent fellow. Paul and Bachman bit the bait and fell under the spell. Too bad for them.

I see Santorum and Perry campaigning for 2016 at this point. Paul just comes out as a whack job.

Romney is still a favorable...perhaps a Newt-Romney ticket is not plausible but it would work for me.

Last edited:
Santorum is a good man but he doesn't have that powerful charisma needed for the big job. I would love to see Newt debate Obama. Hannity asked Newt what would happen if Barry refused to debate? Newt answered "I would follow him around the Country and analyze every one of his speeches until he agreed to debate". That kind of aggressiveness in a republican is refreshing. I remember when timid McCain gave ordered his people not to mention Barry's middle name.

Mark Levin has been asking his listeners to call in and tell him what qualities they most want in a candidate. One of mine is that I want a fighter. I've had it up to my ears with Republicans who don't seem to have a complete set of cojones among the whole bunch.

Forum List

Back