Newt should release ethics report, says Romney camp

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
CHARLESTON, S.C.—Mitt Romney’s campaign turned the tables on Newt Gingrich Thursday, urging the former House speaker to release his congressional ethics report as it tries to deflect criticism that Mr. Romney hasn’t released his tax returns.

Mr. Gingrich faced a House ethics investigation in the 1990s and was ultimately fined about $300,000 for ethical violations. Former New Hampshire Gov. John Sununu, a Romney supporter, called the records of Mr. Gingrich’s ethics investigation a “very important piece of opaque material,” in a conference call with reporters Thursday.

“That must be so damning that that’s the kind of thing that would be an October surprise,” Mr. Sununu said.

Romney Camp Asks Gingrich to Release Congressional Ethics Report - Washington Wire - WSJ

Wise move :) Newt needs to get everything out in the open just like he demanded Romney do.

Last edited:
Let's play 'I'll show you mine if you show me yours'. How very grown up of them both.

Now, put the fuck up or shut the fuck up, boys.

Well played, Mitt.

Romney's tax returns will show that yes, he's a very, very wealthy man. And as all good Republicans we hate rich people and believe they should pay more taxes.

Newt's ethics report will show that yes, he's a wealthy tax evading scumbag who lied to Congress. And as all good Republicans we love people who perjured themselves in the late 90s.

Last edited:
Well played, Mitt.

Romney's tax returns will show that yes, he's a very, very wealthy man. And as all good Republicans we hate rich people and believe they should pay more taxes.

Newt's ethics report will show that yes, he's a wealthy tax evading scumbag who lied to Congress. And as all good Republicans we love people who perjured themselves in the late 90s.

The ethics (or, more accurately, the lack of ethics) is - for me - a fundamental issue with Newt that I cannot get past. I will compromise in the best interests of the country but not on ethics.... or tax evasion. Politicians, of all people, should set an example of honesty in their public (and, hopefully, private) life.

Well played, Mitt.

The ethics (or, more accurately, the lack of ethics) is - for me - a fundamental issue with Newt that I cannot get past. I will compromise in the best interests of the country but not on ethics.... or tax evasion. Politicians, of all people, should set an example of honesty in their public (and, hopefully, private) life.

Hear, hear!

If Romney paid his taxes, then what is the Big deal? I am not even a conservative and I can't condemn Romney for being rich. And considering the best piece of ammunition against Mitt is his time at Bain and I am asking myself "Why not Mitt for President? We need to cut the budget and defund some agencies anyway--does not Mitt look like the perfect person to do this?"

Now when I think about Newt versus Obama, I keep asking myself "How do we escape 4 more years of BS?"

It would set a terrible precedent. Secret hearings are secret for a reason. Of course Romney wants Newt to release it. If there's damaging stuff, then he's damaged. If not, no loss for Romney.

It would set a terrible precedent. Secret hearings are secret for a reason. Of course Romney wants Newt to release it. If there's damaging stuff, then he's damaged. If not, no loss for Romney.

"We need to satisfy the country that whoever we nominate has a record that can stand up to Barack Obama in a very effective way."

Newt said that last night, to applause.

Once again, he is hoist by his own petard.

Well played, Mitt!

The only thing that should be 'secret for a reason' is anything that affects the national security of the country. Politicians seem very happy to blab our national security secrets for political gain. Why should ethics be secret? If they've done no wrong - there is nothing to hide. If they have, they have no right to hide it from the people who elect them.

The only thing that should be 'secret for a reason' is anything that affects the national security of the country. Politicians seem very happy to blab our national security secrets for political gain. Why should ethics be secret? If they've done no wrong - there is nothing to hide. If they have, they have no right to hide it from the people who elect them.

If you make it public then you chill future ethics hearings because everyone knows whatever they say might come out later in public. If you keep is secret people will be willing to say the truth, even if it casts them in a less than favorable light.

It's been a while since I went through the archives of the period, but if my recollection is correct, there was some wheeling and dealing done to minimize the charges brought against Newt in order to protect the party from his stank.

If my recollection is correct, I'm sure the back-and-forth negotiations in the report would look very ugly in the light of day, and would portray Newt as even worse than the ultimate charges would indicate.

Last edited:

If you make it public then you chill future ethics hearings because everyone knows whatever they say might come out later in public. If you keep is secret people will be willing to say the truth, even if it casts them in a less than favorable light.

Then we need stronger sanctions. It is not acceptable to excuse this kind of behavior with that bullshit.

CHARLESTON, S.C.—Mitt Romney’s campaign turned the tables on Newt Gingrich Thursday, urging the former House speaker to release his congressional ethics report as it tries to deflect criticism that Mr. Romney hasn’t released his tax returns.

Mr. Gingrich faced a House ethics investigation in the 1990s and was ultimately fined about $300,000 for ethical violations. Former New Hampshire Gov. John Sununu, a Romney supporter, called the records of Mr. Gingrich’s ethics investigation a “very important piece of opaque material,” in a conference call with reporters Thursday.

“That must be so damning that that’s the kind of thing that would be an October surprise,” Mr. Sununu said.

Romney Camp Asks Gingrich to Release Congressional Ethics Report - Washington Wire - WSJ

. :popcorn:

If Romney paid his taxes, then what is the Big deal? I am not even a conservative and I can't condemn Romney for being rich. And considering the best piece of ammunition against Mitt is his time at Bain and I am asking myself "Why not Mitt for President? We need to cut the budget and defund some agencies anyway--does not Mitt look like the perfect person to do this?"

Now when I think about Newt versus Obama, I keep asking myself "How do we escape 4 more years of BS?"

Wow, you don't condemn Romney for being rich? What a bold move. You hold the opinion of everyone else because no one condemns Romney for being Rich. Unless you're talking about Newt and Christie cause they asked him to release his records. And since Christie urged him to do it you can't play that "hate Romney" card either.

New Topics

Forum List

Back