Newt says reinstate Glass Steagal

Didn't Clinton do away with it??? Oh and like all the Democrts in congress too?

Oh, it's a TM hate thread... full of shit, I see.

Didn't Clinton do away with it??? Oh and like all the Democrts in congress too?

Oh, it's a TM hate thread... full of shit, I see.

Who authored the repeal :rolleyes:
Glass
The bill that ultimately "repealed" the Act was brought up in the Senate by Phil Gramm (R-Texas) and in the House of Representatives by Jim Leach (R-Iowa) in 1999. The bills were passed by a Republican majority, basically following party lines by a 54–44 vote in the Senate

The funny thing is the right now has to back regulating the industry to defend Newt.

Im glad that they are starting to come to their senses for once.

It was a stupid move (by Clinton, fyi) and anyone with even a half an ounce of common sense knows that. Pity that our politicians - both sides - put corruption above the country way back during Clinton's presidency, huh?

Why stop at clinton? One can.make arguments as far back as carter and.reagan.
Clinton wasnt the sole reason just like fannie and freddie didnt cause this mess. A lot of.reasons went into thr melt down.
I think we can all agree , Left , right , progressives, Far Right all politicians are corrupt and they do things for themselves , how they can further their career , how much money he can make while in office , insider trading since that has been brought up too ,before they worry about the tax payers and their opinion.

Im glad the right is now admitting they were wrong about Deregulation.

It is a historically failed idea.

Now maybe we can re regulate the areas that need regulating.

This must mean you will all Back Obama in regulating the industry?

What the hell are you talking about? Did Obama push for all this to be reinstated or did Newt? It sound like you might have to back Newt in 2012, not Obama...

The funny thing is the right now has to back regulating the industry to defend Newt.

Im glad that they are starting to come to their senses for once.

It was a stupid move (by Clinton, fyi) and anyone with even a half an ounce of common sense knows that. Pity that our politicians - both sides - put corruption above the country way back during Clinton's presidency, huh?

It had to be passed by congress. Who controlled congress?

And yes many dems had sold out to big business as well.

So why don't you do the grown up thing and call out TM as a fucking hack as she is... We all know where this was headed the second TM pushed the "Post another stupid trolling thread by TM" button.

You know it was not only Republicans that passed it in congress, you also know Clinton a Democrat was President when it was passed. TM is not attacking Newt in this thread, she is attacking "republicans" as being evil deregulators when in fact it was both parties that deregulated and the deregulation was not the sole reason for the housing collapse/bubble, not even close.

You know I'm right, so help stop the circle jerk US... You are to smart to help egg on meaningless threads like this.

It really takes a different kind of mindset to understand what is being said here. Truthmatters you do understand there is a whole lot that goes into the totallity of deregulation correct? That if someone supports a specific act of deregulation it doesn't mean they support deregulating everything possible or if one doesn't support a deregulation act it does not mean they never support deregulation.

You have been shown facts over and over regarding the last 35 years that Democrats have backed, supported and signed as many deregulation measures as have the Republicans. You get so caught up in the rhetoric that you don't follow the actions and anyone who follows politics knows that a politicians rhetoric and action are often two different things.

So saying deregulation is a historically failed idea is not only stupid it is false.

It really takes a different kind of mindset to understand what is being said here. Truthmatters you do understand there is a whole lot that goes into the totallity of deregulation correct? That if someone supports a specific act of deregulation it doesn't mean they support deregulating everything possible or if one doesn't support a deregulation act it does not mean they never support deregulation.

You have been shown facts over and over regarding the last 35 years that Democrats have backed, supported and signed as many deregulation measures as have the Republicans. You get so caught up in the rhetoric that you don't follow the actions and anyone who follows politics knows that a politicians rhetoric and action are often two different things.

So saying deregulation is a historically failed idea is not only stupid it is false.

Exactly. To lay blanket statements saying you're for or against regulations is being very short sighted. There's always other factors to consider. Is it good regulation, is it bad regulation, are there other laws tacked on the regulation that have nothing to do with it, will the regulation actually be enforced, ect.?

Obama's new Wall Street regulation is an example of bad regulation. It was toothless and unenforceable.

The part of the new Health Insurance reform that eliminates per-existing conditions is good regulation, if it gets enforced. Although it was tacked on to a massive pile of shit.

Hmmm...... This free market thing has 1929 and 2008 to it's credit. Can we say that it is a failure?

How is it a failure when it does exactly what it's supposed to do?

When people are too corrupt, too dishonest, too covetous, too proud, it creates the illusion of economic growth, when there is none. The market corrects itself with downturns to reflect the reality of the economies strength. The correction allows people to eliminate corruption, dishonesty, covetousness, and pride from their lives and thus fix the problems and allowing the economy to grow once again.

The market is supposed to crash when the people have been engaged in vice. Which is why lives of virtue from everyone is the only way to ensure steady economic growth.

Hmmm...... This free market thing has 1929 and 2008 to it's credit. Can we say that it is a failure?

Is this a facetious comment or are you actually trying to be serious?

If it is the former then you got a well deserved laugh from me. If it is the latter then all I can say is Wow.

gingrich admitting he was part of the reason for the economy being in the shitter.. and being unapologetic about it.... will play well in dem ads if newt gets the nom.......

1) Stop being such a political hack.

2) If you are going to be a hack, don't you dare go twisting around my words to fit your political agenda.

I never said he was unapologetic for being "part of the reason for the economy being in the shitter" (which is a rather dubious claim to make, since we're talking about 15 year old legislation). I said he was unapologetic for the fact that he was making a reversal on his stance. He comes across as proud to reverse his stance. He seems all too happy to learn from mistakes of the past and propose a solution that is in the best interest of the nation. This is the kind of thing we should want to see from our elected officials but don't always get. In fact, there's been plenty of times when I didn't see this coming from Newt at all. But here, he's on target, and I give him credit where it is due.
Can someone who may not be a democrat who bashes another republican be a hack?

TO LITTLE, TO LATE
Exit stage left newt, your a fucking pretender and everyone knows it. Ron Paul has spent a lifetime fighting these bankers, if he really wanted to put them in check he would support liberty.

Yeah. I wouldn't believe him just on his word. As long as there's the flood of Citizens United (c/o the Robert$ Court) $ coming in, they'll defeat any vote to reinstate Glass-Steagal.

Does this mean you will throw Newt under the bus?

Naah , it means that Newt would do a little show of getting it reinstated knowing it will not pass.

Same thing as his contract on America dog and pony show.
How many times will people fall for the same old crap.

Ya Think--LOL

Hey but you liberals went for the Frank/Dodd bill which doesn't even regulate Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac and you called it good---

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are being shut down.

What will you whine about when they are gone?

Shutting down Fannie Mae--Freddie Mac would be fine with me--the freaking Federal Government had no business being involved in mortgage loans in the first place--and as everyone knows EXCEPT YOU Criss--is that ALL roads to this current economic collapse lead right back to the front doors of Fannie/Freddie--and the Dodd/Frank bill did nothing to regulate them.

Ya Think--LOL

Hey but you liberals went for the Frank/Dodd bill which doesn't even regulate Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac and you called it good---

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are being shut down.

What will you whine about when they are gone?

Shutting down Fannie Mae--Freddie Mac would be fine with me--the freaking Federal Government had no business being involved in mortgage loans in the first place--and as everyone knows EXCEPT YOU Criss--is that ALL roads to this current economic collapse lead right back to the front doors of Fannie/Freddie--and the Dodd/Frank bill did nothing to regulate them.

I never said one word about Fannie or Freddie on this message board.

Please don't make stuff up.

Forum List

Back