Newt says reinstate Glass Steagal

Does this mean you will throw Newt under the bus?

That would be a consideration only to someone small-minded like you who tends to generalize that all Republicans/conservatives agree with everything a particular Republican/conservative says or does.

This conservative happens to agree with Newt on this issue. It doesn't make him my first choice as the eventual Republican nominee, but I would certainly support him if he was simply because any Republican would be a vast improvement over the current empty suit in the White House.

I give Newt credit here. He pushed for legislation, he recognizes that it was a mistake, and he doesn't mince words over it. Comes right out and says we should reverse course, and is unapologetic about that reversal. I think it speaks well of him. And I agree with him on this issue, we should reinstate it.

Who was it that worked for decades to rid us of Glass Steagal?

What party held up the regulations in that bill for seven years while the banks ran amouk?

Glass Steagal should be reinstated.

We all agree.

I thought you people hated regulations on business?

I give Newt credit here. He pushed for legislation, he recognizes that it was a mistake, and he doesn't mince words over it. Comes right out and says we should reverse course, and is unapologetic about that reversal. I think it speaks well of him. And I agree with him on this issue, we should reinstate it.

gingrich admitting he was part of the reason for the economy being in the shitter.. and being unapologetic about it.... will play well in dem ads if newt gets the nom.......

gingrich admitting he was part of the reason for the economy being in the shitter.. and being unapologetic about it.... will play well in dem ads if newt gets the nom.......

1) Stop being such a political hack.

2) If you are going to be a hack, don't you dare go twisting around my words to fit your political agenda.

I never said he was unapologetic for being "part of the reason for the economy being in the shitter" (which is a rather dubious claim to make, since we're talking about 15 year old legislation). I said he was unapologetic for the fact that he was making a reversal on his stance. He comes across as proud to reverse his stance. He seems all too happy to learn from mistakes of the past and propose a solution that is in the best interest of the nation. This is the kind of thing we should want to see from our elected officials but don't always get. In fact, there's been plenty of times when I didn't see this coming from Newt at all. But here, he's on target, and I give him credit where it is due.

Does this mean you will throw Newt under the bus?
Who was the President that signed that? Does he admit it was a mistake?

A very pithy attempt at a diversion there.
What Clowntoon thinks is irrelevant to this discussion, just as you seem to be.

And yes the big banking money will not support Newt on this, therefore the RNC will not either.

Last edited:
I never said he was unapologetic for being "part of the reason for the economy being in the shitter" (which is a rather dubious claim to make, since we're talking about 15 year old legislation).

It's not dubious in the least. This is what a lot of people don't understand. Changes in economic policy don't necessarily have immediate effects, good or bad. Sometimes the effects develop over time. In the case of Glass-Steagal, its repeal allowed financial institutions to play risky games with other people's money. It was just about guaranteed that this would return to bite us sooner or later, but there was no reason to think it would have an instantaneous effect, and it did not. Fifteen years later, the odds caught up with the banks and the system crashed and burned.

The underlying problems in the economy actually go back to thirty-year-old legislative and administrative changes.

1) Stop being such a political hack.

2) If you are going to be a hack, don't you dare go twisting around my words to fit your political agenda.

I never said he was unapologetic for being "part of the reason for the economy being in the shitter" (which is a rather dubious claim to make, since we're talking about 15 year old legislation). I said he was unapologetic for the fact that he was making a reversal on his stance. He comes across as proud to reverse his stance. He seems all too happy to learn from mistakes of the past and propose a solution that is in the best interest of the nation. This is the kind of thing we should want to see from our elected officials but don't always get. In fact, there's been plenty of times when I didn't see this coming from Newt at all. But here, he's on target, and I give him credit where it is due.

i am just pointing out how this admission would hurt him if he got the nom........

if it makes you butt hurt, throw a bandage on it and walk it off.........

Changes in economic policy don't necessarily have immediate effects, good or bad. Sometimes the effects develop over time. In the case of Glass-Steagal, its repeal allowed financial institutions to play risky games with other people's money. It was just about guaranteed that this would return to bite us sooner or later, but there was no reason to think it would have an instantaneous effect, and it did not. Fifteen years later, the odds caught up with the banks and the system crashed and burned.

The underlying problems in the economy actually go back to thirty-year-old legislative and administrative changes.

I do agree with this. It takes time for the problems to mature and come to fruition. But to simply pin the entire thing on Newt for a single piece of legislation. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a supporter of his. I'm just trying to be reasonable.

Forum List

Back