newt on reagan

Under Reagan, health care and insurance was still reasonably affordable, and it wasn't an issue.

I don't care about that. So answer the question would a supporter of a mandated healthcare coverage be like Reagan?

Which Reagan are you talking about? The mythic Reagan that some of you guys worship iconically.

Or the sensible, pragmatic guy who was President from 1981 to 1989?

The latter one - you know, the one who actually existed- gave Amnesty to illegals, he reformed Social Security, he increased taxes after cutting them, appointed moderates to the Supreme Court, met the Democrats half way on tough issues to get the job done.

So if he were confronted with the health care issue, and the Heritage Foundation came up with this proposal of a health care mandate to solve the problem that involved a private and not a public option, he'd be all over that.

I usually shy away from hitting Romney on the Health Care issue, other than pointing out his mendacity by now being against what he actually implemented as governor. ("I won't impose my awesome plan on the country, really!") but a lot of Republican carping about ObamaCare is kind of silly, as a lot of Republicans were for the same thing, before Obama went and did it. Once you put the word "Obama" in "ObamaCare", you'd think it was the ebola virus.

I also think a mandate doesn't solve the underlying problem. Just delays the inevitable.

Stop it, now you're trying to say their are two different Reagan. Surely you don't think newt would try to compare himself to what people would perceive as a bad president. Would a supporter of mandated healthcare be like Reagan?

Which Reagan are you talking about? The mythic Reagan that some of you guys worship iconically.

The latter one - you know, the one who actually existed- gave Amnesty to illegals, he reformed Social Security, he increased taxes after cutting them, appointed moderates to the Supreme Court, met the Democrats half way on tough issues to get the job done.

I've always been fascinated by his iconic status.

Reagan was essentially a military Keynesian, in addition to the points you make.

I don't care about that. So answer the question would a supporter of a mandated healthcare coverage be like Reagan?

So if he were confronted with the health care issue, and the Heritage Foundation came up with this proposal of a health care mandate to solve the problem that involved a private and not a public option, he'd be all over that.

I usually shy away from hitting Romney on the Health Care issue, other than pointing out his mendacity by now being against what he actually implemented as governor. ("I won't impose my awesome plan on the country, really!") but a lot of Republican carping about ObamaCare is kind of silly, as a lot of Republicans were for the same thing, before Obama went and did it. Once you put the word "Obama" in "ObamaCare", you'd think it was the ebola virus.

I also think a mandate doesn't solve the underlying problem. Just delays the inevitable.

Stop it, now you're trying to say their are two different Reagan. Surely you don't think newt would try to compare himself to what people would perceive as a bad president. Would a supporter of mandated healthcare be like Reagan?

No, there was only one Reagan, the one that actually existed, and he probably would have had no problem with an individual mandate.

The one that exists in your head would probably be against it. And he's telling you to bury that hooker in the back yard.

No, there was only one Reagan, the one that actually existed, and he probably would have had no problem with an individual mandate.

The one that exists in your head would probably be against it. And he's telling you to bury that hooker in the back yard.

Why did you try to insinuate that there were two Reagan's?

So when will you answer my first question?

Reagan's speechwriter, Peggy Noonan, on Gingrich and Reagan.

The issue of Ronald Reagan himself, in the Florida primary, has been a sideshow and mildly absurd. Newt says he is Reagan's successor, that he helped him rout the Soviet Union and create 16 million jobs. The Romney forces say Newt attacked Reagan, called him a failure, he's nothing like the Gipper.

Newt is not Reagan, Mitt is not Reagan, and, by the way, President Obama isn't Truman. People are themselves. They live in the era they live in.

One way Newt is unlike Reagan is that Reagan was a constructive figure, not destructive. If Newt is the donkey who knocked down the barn, Reagan's the guy who'd build it. He wasn't driven by need, and anger wasn't his fuel. He was equable, even-tempered, personally content. Martin Anderson always said Ronald Reagan didn't need high office to feel good, Ronald Reagan dated Lana Turner. He already thought he was quite a fella.

As for the history, Newt was new to Washington and had been in Congress two years, a backbencher, when Reagan was sworn in. He had almost nothing to do with Reagan's achievements. ...

It was after Reagan left that Mr. Gingrich became a leader, spearheading the insurgency that resulted in the 1994 Republican takeover of the House. It was a breathtaking achievement. It was what inspired Nancy Reagan's statement that her husband's torch was passed to him. But he could not govern, could not build the barn, and was ousted four years later.

The GOP Takes a Wild Ride - WSJ.com

Yup, the establishment types are in full panic mode.

Why am I not surprised.

Hey, if you all gave me someone better to support, I'd be all for sending Gingrich back to his consulting gigs.

Unfortunately, you didn't.

Yes or no answers are for idiots incapable of critical thought. I gave you a clear answer. If you can't understand it, you shouldn't be here.

chickenshit. In other words newt is not like Reagan.

Is anybody truly like anybody?

Reagan was an actor. Gingrich was a history professor.

I think Reagan played a professor in Bedtime for Bonzo.

You asked a question, would Reagan support a mandate. I said if that had been an issue during his presidency, he might have.

Conservatives only were against a mandate when it became the centerpiece of Obama's plan. They were all for it before that. And why not. It makes big corporations richer at the expense of the rest of us, what's not for a Plutocrat to love?

A mandate might have even made sense in 1994 when it was the alternative to a Hillary government power-grab.

Yes or no answers are for idiots incapable of critical thought. I gave you a clear answer. If you can't understand it, you shouldn't be here.

You asked a question, would Reagan support a mandate. I said if that had been an issue during his presidency, he might have.

Conservatives only were against a mandate when it became the centerpiece of Obama's plan. They were all for it before that. And why not. It makes big corporations richer at the expense of the rest of us, what's not for a Plutocrat to love?

A mandate might have even made sense in 1994 when it was the alternative to a Hillary government power-grab.

Holy fucking shit. I would expect truth matters to beat around this discussion but fuck dude you got her beat.

• Thanks
Reactions: del

Holy fucking shit. I would expect truth matters to beat around this discussion but fuck dude you got her beat.

I thought my arguments are pretty clear, it's not my fault if they go over your head because they didn't teach Reasoning at your "Home-Skule".

I know you love the AmPad stuff, man. Not sure why. I think Americans losing manufacturing jobs is a bad thing, but that's probably because I work in manufacturing.

i'm sure you work in manufacturing in the same sense that you are a conservative, joey.

I know you love the AmPad stuff, man. Not sure why. I think Americans losing manufacturing jobs is a bad thing, but that's probably because I work in manufacturing.

i'm sure you work in manufacturing in the same sense that you are a conservative, joey.

The sign of a losing argument- attack the other poster.

You lose.

sure thing, joey

newt won't make it out of florida

Forum List

Back