Newt: I didn't resign in disgrace

On Hannity Newt said that he didn't resign in disgrace from the congress

The term "disgrace" is clearly too strong. But he definitely resigned under a lot of pressure. Comparing what Newt did to Democrats like Jim Wright and Tom Daschle show how clearly the Right does hold their own to a far higher standard then the left hold theirs.

well, no, not really.

Wright was openly taking a bribe from the AFL-CIO, and Newt called him on it, and all these bullshit ethics charges (haven't seen one of you yet explain what he did that was all that wrong) was just payback for Wright.

Daschelle didn't step down. He lost his seat. He immediately went off to be real lobbyist.

Newt resigned not because of this petty ethics issue, where the house just showed how dysfunctional it was, (Seriously, Pelosi has done far worse things) but because his house caucus lost seats when they were expected to gain them.

Why did the GOP lose seats in 1998? Because people were angry that they were going ahead with the impeachment of Clinton, and because they agreed to Clinton's budget instead of demanding more cuts in unnecessary programs. Nothing to do with Newt, but he fell on his sword.

Sociopathic personalities lack the capacity to feel disgraced.

Issues like honor and social embarrassment are in their POV, the weaknesses of inferior people.

In the universe of the egomaniac the only thing that matters is what works not what others think of him.

The egomaniac doesn't care if people love them or hate them as long as the people can be manipulated into being the tools of the egomaniac.

That is one of the major advantages of that kind of personality.

They're not seeking approval unless by getting approval it advances their goal.

We see this kind of twisted personality playing out here, every day,

People post outrageous things -- things that they know some people will know are lies.

Now normal people are embarrrassed when they are caught in a lie.

Why?

Becuase the CARE what other people think about them, because even if they don't like the others, they still want their approval, or at least REPECT.

But the egocentric personally doesn't care about the opinions of others.

That means that normal checks on behavior that exist for most of us, don't exist for the sociopath.

A sociopathic personality has about as much capacity to feel shame or dishonor, or embarrassment as a Komoto dragon.

The successful sociopathic personality can feign all those emotional responses, but they can't really feel them.

In that sense, they are supermen.

Here's an article by Byron York about what the "ethics case" was all about.

It was mostly because the drunken ex-actor who Newt beat in 1994 filed a complaint.

The actual charge was "not seeking adequate console on filing a college court."

What really happened in the Gingrich ethics case? | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

It's a good read. And York is not a Newt supporter. BUt if you are a "Newt Beat up my Robot" kind of guy, you won't care.

The IRS concluded the course simply was not political. "The central problem in arguing that the Progress and Freedom Foundation provided more than incidental private benefit to Mr. Gingrich, GOPAC, and other Republican entities," the IRS wrote, "was that the content of the 'Renewing American Civilization' course was educational...and not biased toward any of those who were supposed to be benefited."

The bottom line: Gingrich acted properly and violated no laws. There was no tax fraud scheme. Of course, by that time, Gingrich was out of office, widely presumed to be guilty of something, and his career in politics was (seemingly) over.

Last edited:
On Hannity Newt said that he didn't resign in disgrace from the congress

The term "disgrace" is clearly too strong. But he definitely resigned under a lot of pressure. Comparing what Newt did to Democrats like Jim Wright and Tom Daschle show how clearly the Right does hold their own to a far higher standard then the left hold theirs.

well, no, not really.

Wright was openly taking a bribe from the AFL-CIO, and Newt called him on it, and all these bullshit ethics charges (haven't seen one of you yet explain what he did that was all that wrong) was just payback for Wright.

What Newt did wasn't all that bad. This is my point, hello. It was only a minor rules violation. Nothing like Wright who was systematically corrupt. The problem was that he lied about it and blamed his staff with a lame story. My staff provided incorrect information to the subcommittee, I had no idea. Sure Newt. We didn't like that. We being his supporters. It is totally fair to point out he did bring down Wright and should have kept his own house clean and didn't even if what he did wasn't nearly as bad.

Daschelle didn't step down. He lost his seat. He immediately went off to be real lobbyist.

Ding, ding, ding. You said "no" then have 2 for 2 so far supported my point. Republicans held Newt accountable, Democrats supported Wright until it was too far gone. There were also Rangle, Clinton, the list goes on.

Newt resigned not because of this petty ethics issue, where the house just showed how dysfunctional it was, (Seriously, Pelosi has done far worse things) but because his house caucus lost seats when they were expected to gain them.

He resigned because he wasn't going to be speaker anymore.

Why did the GOP lose seats in 1998? Because people were angry that they were going ahead with the impeachment of Clinton, and because they agreed to Clinton's budget instead of demanding more cuts in unnecessary programs. Nothing to do with Newt, but he fell on his sword.

They lost because they lost their way with the right, not the left.

well, no, not really.

What Newt did wasn't all that bad. This is my point, hello. It was only a minor rules violation. Nothing like Wright who was systematically corrupt. The problem was that he lied about it and blamed his staff with a lame story. My staff provided incorrect information to the subcommittee, I had no idea. Sure Newt. We didn't like that. We being his supporters. It is totally fair to point out he did bring down Wright and should have kept his own house clean and didn't even if what he did wasn't nearly as bad.

Ding, ding, ding. You said "no" then have 2 for 2 so far supported my point. Republicans held Newt accountable, Democrats supported Wright until it was too far gone. There were also Rangle, Clinton, the list goes on.

He resigned because he wasn't going to be speaker anymore.

They lost because they lost their way with the right, not the left.

I think we are in agreement here, it's just a miscommunication.

I have a favor to ask of someone: I am trying to view the C-Span Speaker Gingrich Ethics Hearing back in 1997. (yeah, I'm a geek)
C-Span has an incredible archive available online for free.

It'll just take a minute. I am having trouble getting this to play:

House Speaker Ethics Hearing Part 1 - C-SPAN Video Library

But my internet has been in and out all night, so I don't know if it's here or there. (or if I'm doing something wrong - or my settings...argh...)

Could someone just click on that and see if it plays or if there is a problem with their video?

It would be so very much appreciated.

:)

Works for me.
Thank you. It seems to be working for me now too.

Forum List

Back