Newt: I didn't resign in disgrace

I wonder if anyone backs this up.

I really don't have a good feel for how to assess Newt's story telling yet.
I doubt it.

Yeah, Gingrich beggggged us to put that black mark on his record.

lol.

IKR! lol. But often it seems that there is a grain of truth in Gingrich's comments. Like perhaps he saw that it was inevitable that he was going to lose and he wanted to get it over sooner rather than later (maybe in the hopes that he could possibly avoid too many people demanding his resignation). So maybe he asked people not to fight it any more. I could see that happening.
Er, no. He knew he was likely not going to get away without the majority vote on the reprimand - but he was a House whip at one time. One thing a whip knows is how to count the votes.

It's one thing to know you might squeak by and lose, it's another to encourage others to hand you a earth crushing final tally like 395 to 28.

That number is the killer. Think of it in sports terms - If you lose a game by 3 points, it doesn't look so bad.

If the score is 2 to 33, you've just been decimated. No one wants that on their record.

November 1998- The GOP loses 5 seats in the house in a year they were expected to make gains.

The worst losses in a mid-term election in 64 years for a party not in the White House.

None of those Clowns are perfect.

I'd bet that if you dig into any of them you'll find something that they could be booted out for. Problem is that they police themselves.

So what does it tell you about Newt that in that kind of environment, he was the only Speaker in history fined for his crimes?

You gotta be pretty slimy for the other slimeballs to say, "Geez, THAT GUY is REALLY bad!"

Washingtonpost.com: Ethics Committee Drops Last of 84 Ethics Charges Against Gingrich

The House ethics committee dropped the three remaining ethics charges against Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) yesterday, despite finding that Gingrich repeatedly violated one rule by using a political consultant to develop the Republican legislative agenda.

And here we see the important difference between "dropped the charges" and "innocent".

Newt's "dropped the charges" argument is really a, "I stopped breaking the law and so they gave me a break they would never give you" defense.

On Hannity Newt said that he didn't resign in disgrace from the congress.

WTFlock?

How does he back up that claim? I guess it depends on what the meaning of "is" is. I mean what the meaning of "disgrace" is.

I think that "resigning in disgrace" would have involved him making his resignation speech completely naked, followed by a 30 minute period whereby his fellow representatives would have a chance to inspect and make fun of his penis and testicles.

That would be resigning in disgrace.

I think anyone who looked at Newt's junk would probably feel more disgraced than Newt. I know I'd gracefully decline the opportunity.
Just sayin.

Washingtonpost.com: Ethics Committee Drops Last of 84 Ethics Charges Against Gingrich

The House ethics committee dropped the three remaining ethics charges against Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) yesterday, despite finding that Gingrich repeatedly violated one rule by using a political consultant to develop the Republican legislative agenda.

And here we see the important difference between "dropped the charges" and "innocent".

Newt's "dropped the charges" argument is really a, "I stopped breaking the law and so they gave me a break they would never give you" defense.

This bears REPEATING!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I liked the part where Gingrich said he wanted his fellow republicans to cast a vote against him in his ethics case.

:rofl:

I doubt it.

lol.

Okay, why don't one of you two explain in two sentences or less what he actually did wrong and why I should care?

Go ahead, I'll time you.

I doubt it.

lol.

Okay, why don't one of you two explain in two sentences or less what he actually did wrong and why I should care?

Go ahead, I'll time you.

his great grandfather was a mormon, you know.

:rofl:

douche

Duly noted you couldn't answer the question...

Let's be honest, this whole string of investigations was Democratic payback because he caught Jim Wright taking bribes from ALF-CIO. So they spent years trying to get him on something, anything, until after 84 investigations, (83 of which were rejected) they found a staffer hadn't filed the correct tax documents for a college course.

That was it.

Which is why you guys never talk about the details. They are kind of boring.

WTFlock?

How does he back up that claim? I guess it depends on what the meaning of "is" is. I mean what the meaning of "disgrace" is.

Okay, this is my last "Oh God not Newt" thread for the day. I think. I'll try to hold back until tomorrow. :D

He resigned in defeat, which is different than disgrace. It's a long story and I suggest if you want to know more about that time in history, you go to his site Newt.org, or "Google it....

Newt has spent more than 30 years inside WA and naturally he would have more experience, thus more defeats and successes than other candidates. :)

H resigned in disgrace and most all his colleagues at the time wanted his head on a pike.

Newt can call it anything he wants.

Those who were there, know.

That happened to Margaret Thatcher, too, and she came back. Defeat not disgrace. It's politics as usual.

WTFlock?

Okay, this is my last "Oh God not Newt" thread for the day. I think. I'll try to hold back until tomorrow. :D

What's the political definition of "disgrace"? Anything you want it to be? What if I said that Clinton was disgraced but didn't resign? Would it make any difference?

He paid the fine NOT just because the House voted very much overwhelmingly to fine him, but they voted overwhelmingly to fine him AFTER he admitted that he had transgressed.

Was he a hump?

You betchya!

Does this make him irremediable?

No.

But he's still a bit of a hump.

Nevertheless, if he gets the GOP nod to run against The One, I'm still voting for him.

Forum List

Back