Newt: I didn't resign in disgrace

I agree with Newt. How do you disgarace a party that has no shame?
I dunno...Go ask Clintoon, John Edwards, Anthony Weiner, war profiteer Dianne Frankenstein, insider trader and compulsive liar Nancy Pelosi, and report back your results.

Hey, you forgot that both Diane and Nancy committed real, actual treason - as defined by our Constitution. Please don't forget that part.

And.... while we're making the list.... Frankenstein is married to one of those evil venture capitalist. :eek:

On Hannity Newt said that he didn't resign in disgrace from the congress.

WTFlock?

How does he back up that claim? I guess it depends on what the meaning of "is" is. I mean what the meaning of "disgrace" is.

I think that "resigning in disgrace" would have involved him making his resignation speech completely naked, followed by a 30 minute period whereby his fellow representatives would have a chance to inspect and make fun of his penis and testicles.

That would be resigning in disgrace.

None of those Clowns are perfect.

I'd bet that if you dig into any of them you'll find something that they could be booted out for. Problem is that they police themselves.

Newt is better than say, edwards, clinton, weiner, frank, need I go on?

Why include Barney? He is one of the most interesting politicians in America, brilliant and well informed, agree with him or not, the democrats are going to miss him.

Does it seem like the caliber of politicians since Reagan has gone downhill in both parties? It may be that America today is living in a TV multimedia induced stupor and commonsense practicality is lost forever? [Of course our history would counter that thought.]

None of those Clowns are perfect.

I'd bet that if you dig into any of them you'll find something that they could be booted out for. Problem is that they police themselves.

Morally bankrupt Newt of course wouldn't feel any emotion about how he was forced out of congress so words like disgrace don't mean anything to him.

It's everyone elses fault that he isn't ethical. Voters are going to hear a lot more on this issue so maybe he will feel the sting eventually.

No of course he didn't.

A reprimand for ethical wrongdoing and a $300,000 fine is like an honorarium, only in reverse.

WTFlock?

How does he back up that claim? I guess it depends on what the meaning of "is" is. I mean what the meaning of "disgrace" is.

Okay, this is my last "Oh God not Newt" thread for the day. I think. I'll try to hold back until tomorrow. :D

Well, except that if you were actually around then, you forget the sequence of events.

September 1998- Congress votes to go ahead and initiate an investigation of Clinton over all things Lewinsky. this enrages liberals and a lot of folks who just didn't understand the difference between simply lying about a blow job and actually committing perjury in a federal court.

October 1998- Congress totally knuckled under on Clinton's budget, enraging a lot of conservatives, who felt that opposing Clinton's agenda was an important thing. There was a lot of Conservative anger.

November 1998- The GOP loses 5 seats in the house in a year they were expected to make gains. This was as much about people being upset about impeachment as it was about people being upset about comprimising.

Newt resigned because his party lost seats, just like Denny Hastert stepped aside when his party lost control of Congress in 2006. It wasn't an issue of "disgrace", because it was the performance of his party. The people who were always against Newt quickly put up Livingston as the new Speaker Designate, until Larry Flynt exposed Livingstone had an affair.

Now, later, well after the fact, we found out about Callista after Newt had retired.

One can criticize many aspects of Newt's leadership of the House, but in this case, he really did take one for the team.

I think you CONZ forgot about a few on your side.
Like the airport mens room foot-tapper and the pedophile?

larry-craig-animated-Tap.gif

foley-gop.jpg

Last edited:
No of course he didn't.

A reprimand for ethical wrongdoing and a $300,000 fine is like an honorarium, only in reverse.

Except
1- It wasn't a fine.
2- It had nothing to do with the reason why he eventually stepped down.
Yes, it was a fine. First, he brought discredit to the House and was reprimanded. The vote was 395 to 28. That's a bipartisan smackdown by any measure. At that point he has lost confidence in a great many of the House members.
To say it had 'nothing' to do with it is insane.

Then there was this stinging rebuke in the report:
"The violation does not represent only a single instance of reckless conduct...
Over a number of years and in a number of situations, Mr. Gingrich showed a disregard and lack of respect for the standards of conduct that applied to his activities.
http://ethics.house.gov/sites/ethics.house.gov/files/House%20Report%20105-1_1.pdf

And he was fined (yes fined) for charges brought by the HOUSE ETHICS COMMITTEE.

:::::::::::::::::::::::

Historical Summary of
Conduct Cases in the House of Representatives
●
Committee on Standards of Official Conduct
1798-2004:
http://ethics.house.gov/sites/ethics.house.gov/files/Historical_Chart_Final_Version in Word_0.pdf

Is Gingrich's Name there? Yes.
Was Gingrich's case expunged, removed, dismissed? No.
====================================

Straight from the Current Official Government Publication on House Ethics:

Chapter 25: Ethics; Committee on Standards of Official Conduct
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/GPO-HPRACTICE-108/pdf/GPO-HPRACTICE-108-26.pdf
[31 pg document]

Conduct Reflecting Discredit on the House:

The House voted to reprimand the Speaker for bringing discredit on the
House
. H. Res. 31, H. Rept. 105–1, In re Gingrich, Jan. 21, 1997, p 393.

The House voted to reprimand a Speaker for violating certain provisions of the
Internal Revenue Code
. 105–1, H. Res. 31, H. Rept. 105–1, In re Gingrich,
Jan. 21, 1997, p 393. Any disciplinary measure that the House invokes against a Member for
an alleged or proven violation of such a statute is separate and distinct from
sanctions that may be sought by law enforcement authorities at the State or
Federal level.

[pages 503-506]

§ 25. Fines; Restitution of Funds
Pursuant to its constitutional authority to punish its Members, the House
may levy a fine as a disciplinary measure against a Member for certain misconduct.
U.S. Const. art. I, § 5, cl. 2; Deschler Ch 12 § 17. The fine may
be coupled with certain other disciplinary measures deemed appropriate by
the House.
Examples of such fines include the following:

* For improper expenditure of House funds for private purposes, a fine of
$25,000, to be deducted in monthly installments from the Member’s salary.
91–1, H. Res. 2, Jan. 3, 1969, p 29.

* For misuse of congressional clerk-hire, restitution of monies in the amount
in which the Member personally benefited by such misuse. H. Res. 378,
H. Rept. 96–351, In re Diggs, July 31, 1979, p 21584.

------>
* For a serious violation that, in the opinion of the Committee on Standards
of Official Conduct, was more serious than one deserving reprimand but
less serious than one deserving censure, reimbursement to the committee
for the cost of conducting the investigation, which was $300,000. H. Res.
31, H. Rept. 105–1, In re Gingrich, Jan. 21, 1997, p 393.

[page 521]​
See that part where it says "Examples of such fines include the following"

See it?

That's the part where they explain in the HOUSE ETHICS RULES BOOK - and even use Gingrich's case as an example ...of what? ---> a FINE.

Read it and weep: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/GPO-HPRACTICE-108/pdf/GPO-HPRACTICE-108-26.pdf

Last edited:
I liked the part where Gingrich said he wanted his fellow republicans to cast a vote against him in his ethics case.

:rofl:

I wonder if anyone backs this up.

I really don't have a good feel for how to assess Newt's story telling yet.

WTFlock?

Okay, this is my last "Oh God not Newt" thread for the day. I think. I'll try to hold back until tomorrow. :D

Well, except that if you were actually around then, you forget the sequence of events.

September 1998- Congress votes to go ahead and initiate an investigation of Clinton over all things Lewinsky. this enrages liberals and a lot of folks who just didn't understand the difference between simply lying about a blow job and actually committing perjury in a federal court.

October 1998- Congress totally knuckled under on Clinton's budget, enraging a lot of conservatives, who felt that opposing Clinton's agenda was an important thing. There was a lot of Conservative anger.

November 1998- The GOP loses 5 seats in the house in a year they were expected to make gains. This was as much about people being upset about impeachment as it was about people being upset about comprimising.

Newt resigned because his party lost seats, just like Denny Hastert stepped aside when his party lost control of Congress in 2006. It wasn't an issue of "disgrace", because it was the performance of his party. The people who were always against Newt quickly put up Livingston as the new Speaker Designate, until Larry Flynt exposed Livingstone had an affair.

Now, later, well after the fact, we found out about Callista after Newt had retired.

One can criticize many aspects of Newt's leadership of the House, but in this case, he really did take one for the team.

It is true that I forget the chain of events.

I remember how much I disliked Newt. I remember how mad I was at Henry Hyde. I remember how Hyde and the House bungled the impeachment. And I remember in general how mad I was at the Republicans at the time.

But the actual timeline of Newt's congressional career, this I should brush up on.

WTFlock?

He resigned in order to cash in...just like Sarah Palin. The only difference is that Newt was forced out as House Speaker (he wasn't forced to resign his House Seat, however), while Sarah just bailed for the bucks.

Nobody knew it at the time, but the remuneration work for qualified historians was skyrocketing. Newt simply decided to put his PhD to work.

I liked the part where Gingrich said he wanted his fellow republicans to cast a vote against him in his ethics case.

:rofl:

I wonder if anyone backs this up.

I really don't have a good feel for how to assess Newt's story telling yet.
I doubt it.

Yeah, Gingrich beggggged us to put that black mark on his record.

lol.

IKR! lol. But often it seems that there is a grain of truth in Gingrich's comments. Like perhaps he saw that it was inevitable that he was going to lose and he wanted to get it over sooner rather than later (maybe in the hopes that he could possibly avoid too many people demanding his resignation). So maybe he asked people not to fight it any more. I could see that happening.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back