Newt Gingrich 'Irritated' By Outrage Over His Comments On Food Stamps

Flaylo

Handsome Devil
Feb 10, 2010
In some grass near you

Newt gets confronted and comes up with weak cop-out

At an event that his campaign billed as a "Hispanic Town Hall Meeting," held at the Don Quijote Mexican restaurant here, Gingrich was pressed on the topic by Yvan Lamothe, an African-American New Hampshire resident.

"My point is, about a week ago -- some time ago -- you mentioned that black people should be able to earn a paycheck, not be on welfare, implying that black people in general are on welfare," said Lamothe. "And I really took exception to that because it demeans my accomplishments, my hard work, because I have worked all my life. I have never been on welfare. You know about history. You know that back in the 1930s, Hitler started talking in Germany about a Jewish problem. My question to you is, do you think that blacks represent an American problem, and if you don't think that, will you stop using blacks in general as a stepping stone or a punching bag?"

Gingrich disputed Lamothe's characterization of his comments, blaming the Democratic National Committee for taking them "totally out of context."

"I didn't say what you just said," he said. "Let me be very clear, because this is something that makes me, quite frankly, very irritated. ... What I said was, there's a real problem in America because you have a president who's put more people on food stamps -- people, I didn't say any ethnic group, people -- than any other president in history. ... And I said I would be willing to go to the NAACP annual convention -- which most Republicans are not willing to do -- and I'd be willing to talk about the importance of food stamps versus paychecks."

Bullshit cop-out, Newt was racially pandering to rightwing whites by mentioning blacks and welfare in the same breath.

IN general newt gingrich is right. If this idiot can't see that a large percentage of his people are on food stamps and welfare he is blind. A fool.

It’s hard to create jobs when you fight two wars on foreign soil. Food stamps and rationing are normal when your nation have been in war for so long on two fronts.

With regard to AFDC the figures are:

White 38.8%
Black 39.8
Hispanic 15.7
Asian 2.4
other 3.3

To break down these numbers, we look at how many Whites are in the population as a WHOLE. If Blacks make up less 14% of the population and are almost 40% of all receipients, then they represent about 2.5 times their actual population. Since Whites are over 50% of the total US pop., they represent less than their overall piece of the pie, population-wise. Hispanics are at least 15% of the general population, so they take only about as much as what their population represents. Why am I writing this? Because I am tired of the misrepresentations on this issue. I read so many on here claiming that more Whites are on welfare than Blacks (true, in terms of raw numbers), yet not accounting for the fact that there are over 4X as many Whites in this country than Blacks! In statistics, you cannot go by mere numbers. Only if the playing field is exactly equal, which is rarely is! This thread was started, not to be racist, but to keep it real. After all, there are some legitimate reasons for Blacks to

Welfare Stats By Race: Let's Get Down To The Nitty Gritty - Topix

38 percent of all welfare goes to 14 percent of the population!

Why?

Poverty By Race/Ethnicity

Areas with a high incidence of poverty often reflect the low income of their racial/ethnic minorities. Nonmetro non-Hispanic Blacks had the highest incidence of poverty in 2010, at 32.9 percent (32.2 percent in 2009). The 2010 poverty rate for nonmetro Hispanics was 29.5 percent, which is 1.7 percentage points higher than in 2009. Both non-Hispanic Black and Hispanic poverty rates for 2010 were more than twice the rate for non-Hispanic Whites (13.1 percent), which was also the case in 2009.

http://www.ers.usda.gov/Briefing/incomepov...emographics.htm

Attachments

• $ff_welfare_race_of_tanf_recipients.png
    $ff_welfare_race_of_tanf_recipients.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 226
  • $PovertyRatesbyRace.png
    $PovertyRatesbyRace.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 146
I am a radical plain and simple. Not right not left. I do not understand why healthy people can not perform services that will save this country money in order to receive these food stamps etc. Perhaps that is what Gingrich meant but failed to articulate.

I asked you what percentage of blacks are on welfare?

Nearly 9 million African Americans receive food stamps each month. This represents a quarter of the African American population.

Source(s):

Facts About African Americans in the Food Stamp Program — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

African Americans Benefit Disproportionately from the Food Stamp Program
■One in three food stamp households is headed by an African American. More than a third of food stamp benefits — over $10 billion per year — are issued to African-Americans. (According to Census data, African Americans make up about 12 percent of the U.S. population.)
■Nearly 9 million African Americans receive food stamps each month. This represents a quarter of the African American population.

■A typical African American family on the Food Stamp Program has income (not including food stamps) at 56 percent of the poverty line (compared to 64 percent for all food stamp households). For a family of three, 56 percent of the poverty line corresponds to a monthly income of $775, or an annual income of $9,300.
■Food stamps constitute 26 percent of total monthly income for a typical African American family that participates in the Food Stamp Program.

Last edited:
FWIW, I just helps two young WHITE KIDS get Food suppliment.

Both HAD been working, both were laid off because the economy crapped out.

Poverty is an equal opportunity disaster.

I know, I know, some of you would have preferred that I let these two kids starve.

And in way of apology for not living up to your expectiations I can only offer this in my defence of my actions....fuck you!

So is Newt claiming he said "blah" people too? Who are these "blah" people the GOP candidates keep talking about? Maybe it's blue people. Look out for smurfs on welfare! :eek:

So is Newt claiming he said "blah" people too? Who are these "blah" people the GOP candidates keep talking about? Maybe it's blue people. Look out for smurfs on welfare! :eek:

I find it sad how none of these candidates can stand by what they are saying as it's backed up with stats(data, reality, ect). It's a real issue that needs to be solved for the very health of this nation. Encouraging said group to improve and get off of welfare would only be a good thing.

To encourage them to play the victim is going to just harm this nation and make things worst.

Last edited:
Another stupid and petty thread coming to us from the Hufferpost..

Gingrich is Irritated.

Extreme Poverty Doubles In US...
:eek:
More than 1.4 million families live on $2 a day per person
23 Feb.`12 - The number of families living on $2 or less per person per day for at least a month in the USA has more than doubled in 15 years to 1.46 million.
That's up from 636,000 households in 1996, says a new study released by researchers at the University of Michigan and Harvard University. Government benefits blunt the impact of such extreme poverty, but not completely, says one of the researchers, Luke Shaefer, a professor of social work at Michigan. When food stamps are included as income, the number of households in extreme poverty, defined as living on $2 a day, drops to 800,000, Shaefer says. That's up from 475,000 in 1996. "This seems to be a group that has fallen through the cracks," says Kathryn Edin, a Harvard researcher and professor of public policy.

The study found that among households in extreme poverty, one in five received rent vouchers or lived in public housing. Sixty-six percent had at least one child with public health insurance. The study did not factor in how those benefits affect household income. Robert Rector, senior research fellow at the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank, says most aid to the poor today is in non-cash assistance. Last year, he says, the federal and state government spent $900 billion on 70 programs that assist the poor, from health care and food stamps to energy assistance and college grants. "When you look at that type of family, you don't see the type of deprivation this study suggests," he says.

Because the study shows households in extreme poverty for a month, it is more reflective of people losing jobs, getting divorced or having short-term crises, he says. Shaefer says, "We are trying to document the growth in deep poverty. … Even one month living at this level is concerning." Magdalyn March, 30, of Birmingham, Ala., can relate to those living in extreme poverty. In 2006, she lost a seasonal job at a packing warehouse, split with an abusive boyfriend and was caring for her two children. She received about $200 a month in government cash assistance and $282 in food stamps.

March and her children lived in a motel when she was with her boyfriend. When he left, she couldn't afford the room, and she and her children were kicked out. March stayed with friends and relatives for a few nights at a time but ended up in a homeless shelter. She credits the shelter, First Light, with helping her find a job as a waitress at a chain restaurant and affordable day care. She says she still struggles. She needs glasses and has to go to the dentist but can't afford it. March and her children are living with her mother now. "You've got to come up with a system," she says, "because you can't live off of that. You really can't."

Source

Newt gets confronted and comes up with weak cop-out

At an event that his campaign billed as a "Hispanic Town Hall Meeting," held at the Don Quijote Mexican restaurant here, Gingrich was pressed on the topic by Yvan Lamothe, an African-American New Hampshire resident.

"My point is, about a week ago -- some time ago -- you mentioned that black people should be able to earn a paycheck, not be on welfare, implying that black people in general are on welfare," said Lamothe. "And I really took exception to that because it demeans my accomplishments, my hard work, because I have worked all my life. I have never been on welfare. You know about history. You know that back in the 1930s, Hitler started talking in Germany about a Jewish problem. My question to you is, do you think that blacks represent an American problem, and if you don't think that, will you stop using blacks in general as a stepping stone or a punching bag?"

Gingrich disputed Lamothe's characterization of his comments, blaming the Democratic National Committee for taking them "totally out of context."

"I didn't say what you just said," he said. "Let me be very clear, because this is something that makes me, quite frankly, very irritated. ... What I said was, there's a real problem in America because you have a president who's put more people on food stamps -- people, I didn't say any ethnic group, people -- than any other president in history. ... And I said I would be willing to go to the NAACP annual convention -- which most Republicans are not willing to do -- and I'd be willing to talk about the importance of food stamps versus paychecks."

Bullshit cop-out, Newt was racially pandering to rightwing whites by mentioning blacks and welfare in the same breath.

So what? Newt is so three weeks ago....

Forum List

Back