Newsweek and the Desecration of the Koran

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
While the desecration of anything which is sacred to another is inherently wrong, I tend to believe the initial version of the Newsweek story on the desecration of the Koran at GITMO.

Why...? Quite simple. In US prisons, it is common practice for guards to go into an inmates cell while they are seeing a visitor or otherwise out of their cell and toss the cell. They will then throw whatever the inmate holds most dear, be it a family photo, prayer beads, a Bible, A Koran...in the toilet. So it would not surprise me that a common tactic used to break prisoners here in the US would be used in attempting to break detainees being interrogated at GITMO, Abu-Ghraib, or any of the other unknown and unnamed US detention facilities around the world.

It would not require any great stretch of the imagination to think that the administration put pressure on the editorial board at Newsweek to quash the story and discredit their source. Given the Bush administration's penchant for secrecy and aversion to the truth, it is very likely the case.

Here are sources documenting such activities which were released in 2004.

<blockquote><a href=http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:cBAdCUQ2aOsJ:www.ccr-ny.org/v2/reports/docs/Gitmo-compositestatementFINAL23july04.pdf+attorneys+Guantanamo+Koran+pages+ripped&hl=en&client=safari>72.They were never given prayer mats and initially they didn’t get a Koran.</a> When the Korans were provided, they were kicked and thrown about by the guards and on occasion thrown in the buckets used for the toilets. This kept happening. When it happened it was always said to be an accident but it was a recurrent theme.

74.Asif says that ‘it was impossible to pray because initially we did not know the direction to pray, but also given that we couldn’t move and the harassment rom the guards, it was simply not feasible. The behaviour of the guards towards our religious practices as well as the Koran was also, in my view, designed to cause us as much distress as possible. They would kick the Koran, throw it into the toilet and generally disrespect it. It is clear to me that he conditions in our cells and our general treatment were designed by the officers in charge of the interrogation process to “soften us up”’.</blockquote>

<blockquote>Detainees also complained about the interference with their ability to pray and the lack of respect given to their religion. For example, the British detainees state that they were never given prayer mats and initially were not provided Korans. They also complained that when the Korans were provided, the guards “would kick the Koran, throw it into the toilet and generally disrespect it.” - <a href=http://www.hrw.org/backgrounder/usa/gitmo1004/3.htm>Human Rights Watch</a>, October 2004</blockquote>

These revelations are nothing new, they are simply being used to pressure media outlets, which question Administration policy, to toe the ideological line. Chairman of the JCS, <a href=http://usinfo.state.gov/usinfo/Archive/2005/May/12-273892.html?chanlid=washfile>General Richard Meyers</a>, stated that the riots in Afghanistan have more to do with the general dissatisfaction with the political process than anything else. So, this coincidental violence provides yet another opportunity for the Administration to force US media outlets to come to heel.

Bullypulpit said:
While the desecration of anything which is sacred to another is inherently wrong, I tend to believe the initial version of the Newsweek story on the desecration of the Koran at GITMO.

Why...? Quite simple. In US prisons, it is common practice for guards to go into an inmates cell while they are seeing a visitor or otherwise out of their cell and toss the cell. They will then throw whatever the inmate holds most dear, be it a family photo, prayer beads, a Bible, A Koran...in the toilet. So it would not surprise me that a common tactic used to break prisoners here in the US would be used in attempting to break detainees being interrogated at GITMO, Abu-Ghraib, or any of the other unknown and unnamed US detention facilities around the world.

It would not require any great stretch of the imagination to think that the administration put pressure on the editorial board at Newsweek to quash the story and discredit their source. Given the Bush administration's penchant for secrecy and aversion to the truth, it is very likely the case.

Here are sources documenting such activities which were released in 2004.

<blockquote><a href=http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:cBAdCUQ2aOsJ:www.ccr-ny.org/v2/reports/docs/Gitmo-compositestatementFINAL23july04.pdf+attorneys+Guantanamo+Koran+pages+ripped&hl=en&client=safari>72.They were never given prayer mats and initially they didn’t get a Koran.</a> When the Korans were provided, they were kicked and thrown about by the guards and on occasion thrown in the buckets used for the toilets. This kept happening. When it happened it was always said to be an accident but it was a recurrent theme.

74.Asif says that ‘it was impossible to pray because initially we did not know the direction to pray, but also given that we couldn’t move and the harassment rom the guards, it was simply not feasible. The behaviour of the guards towards our religious practices as well as the Koran was also, in my view, designed to cause us as much distress as possible. They would kick the Koran, throw it into the toilet and generally disrespect it. It is clear to me that he conditions in our cells and our general treatment were designed by the officers in charge of the interrogation process to “soften us up”’.</blockquote>

<blockquote>Detainees also complained about the interference with their ability to pray and the lack of respect given to their religion. For example, the British detainees state that they were never given prayer mats and initially were not provided Korans. They also complained that when the Korans were provided, the guards “would kick the Koran, throw it into the toilet and generally disrespect it.” - <a href=http://www.hrw.org/backgrounder/usa/gitmo1004/3.htm>Human Rights Watch</a>, October 2004</blockquote>

These revelations are nothing new, they are simply being used to pressure media outlets, which question Administration policy, to toe the ideological line. Chairman of the JCS, <a href=http://usinfo.state.gov/usinfo/Archive/2005/May/12-273892.html?chanlid=washfile>General Richard Meyers</a>, stated that the riots in Afghanistan have more to do with the general dissatisfaction with the political process than anything else. So, this coincidental violence provides yet another opportunity for the Administration to force US media outlets to come to heel.

Then again, it could just be the detainees were lying:

http://www.usdoj.gov/ag/manualpart1_4.pdf

Just to spice things up a bit.

Let's say the guards did everything that Newsweek reported.

So what. These are prisoners. Since when do prisoners get rights? They complain because they didn't get to pray? Or their copy of the Koran was thrown in the toilet?

Again, THEY ARE PRISONERS! SINCE WHEN DO PRISONERS GET RIGHTS?

Whoop-dee-do.

GotZoom said:
Just to spice things up a bit.

Let's say the guards did everything that Newsweek reported.

So what. These are prisoners. Since when do prisoners get rights? They complain because they didn't get to pray? Or their copy of the Koran was thrown in the toilet?

Again, THEY ARE PRISONERS! SINCE WHEN DO PRISONERS GET RIGHTS?

Whoop-dee-do.

They are guarranteed rights under US and international law and convention.

Bullypulpit said:
And then again, maybe they weren't. Given what has happened at Abu Ghraib, and the abuses documented there and elsewhere...I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until enequivocal proof either way is presented.

I'll give the guards the benefit of the doubt, UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY, since the whackos have a plan that includes lying and there are rules that govern the guards.

I guess it IS where one is coming from.

Bullypulpit said:

So even though Newsweek itself came out and backtracked on that story, you still believe it? Wow... you are really drinking the anti-Bush Kool Aid.

First of all,to say that the Bush administration has anything to do with Newsweek squelching this story is ridiculous,and I think we all know that. The media in this country does and says what it wants,no matter the consequences,and are not going to be told what do do by any administration,especially the BUSH administration.

Second,why is there such an uproar everytime there is an accusation about a Muslim's "rights" are supposedly being attacked. I wonder Bully,would you be so upset if they stomped n a Bible,or flushed it,or our prisoners weren't given one at all. Oh,that's right,our POW's aren't given one because they could give a shit about OUR rights. It has been said over and over ,that is not the usual enemy(I think they proved that when they started cutting heads off). These people,whining and crying about the Koran,would shoot and kill any of our troops without the blink of an eye and enjoy it. Why should I feel any sorrow for any of these prisoners even if the story is true? These people are nuts,and their behavior because of this accusation proves it. Now we should worry about their Koran after they have killed people during their riots,and want to kill innocents Americans,including children. I have no doubt that tactics such as these have gone on in probably every war,so why is this such a shock anyway?

krisy said:
First of all,to say that the Bush administration has anything to do with Newsweek squelching this story is ridiculous,and I think we all know that. The media in this country does and says what it wants,no matter the consequences,and are not going to be told what do do by any administration,especially the BUSH administration.

Second,why is there such an uproar everytime there is an accusation about a Muslim's "rights" are supposedly being attacked. I wonder Bully,would you be so upset if they stomped n a Bible,or flushed it,or our prisoners weren't given one at all. Oh,that's right,our POW's aren't given one because they could give a shit about OUR rights. It has been said over and over ,that is not the usual enemy(I think they proved that when they started cutting heads off). These people,whining and crying about the Koran,would shoot and kill any of our troops without the blink of an eye and enjoy it. Why should I feel any sorrow for any of these prisoners even if the story is true? These people are nuts,and their behavior because of this accusation proves it. Now we should worry about their Koran after they have killed people during their riots,and want to kill innocents Americans,including children. I have no doubt that tactics such as these have gone on in probably every war,so why is this such a shock anyway?

Brava!

:thewave:

Bullypulpit said:
And then again, maybe they weren't. Given what has happened at Abu Ghraib, and the abuses documented there and elsewhere...I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until enequivocal proof either way is presented.

Yes of course you would. Because you dont give a damn about the truth. You just want America to look bad. Particularly if it means you can find a problem with this administration for which you have an irrational hatred of. It doesn't matter that the lies have caused riots and death around the world. "Who cares if people die? as long as it hurts the president ill believe it." Nice attitude Bully.

Bullypulpit said:

Yeah - given a choice, ALWAYS blame America first. Hell, that's a reflex action for you by now, isn't it, Bully?

Bullypulpit said:

Ok....it is true.

So?

As krisy said:

Bully,

You can believe it or not. It does not matter in this instance. The bottom line is simple, blatant, and absolutely repugnant:

Isikoff, with the permission and knowledge of Newsweek's editors, ran a story that:

a) was not provably true
b) was verified by non-reliable sources
c) was verified by sources who can no longer be trusted, even by Newsweek, hence their backtracking
d) that anyone with half a brain could see would be highly explosive to the Muslim community
e) would more likely than not incite violence against US troops and innocent bystanders

When a major news magazine with global distribution and power prints a fraudulent story knowing damn well that the sources for the story are crappy and knowing damn well that the story could cause violence....that news magazine should be prosecuted for a crime. When that fraudulent article actually DOES cause murder, massive injury, riots, chaos, and Muslim clerics shouting about jihads against the United States of America then the case for criminal charges becomes even greater.

Sorry, Bully...you can believe what you want...but even Newsweek has backtracked on this one...proving that in THIS case:

NEWSWEEK LIED INNOCENT PEOPLE DIED

(I just wanna know when MoveOn.Org and all the other peace-loving groups are going to start making up the signs...I'll join them in protesting outside Newsweek's main office!)

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
The smart Trial Lawyer would contact the families of those killed in the riots, get them visas fly them here then sue the ass off of Newsweek. He would make a huge Name for himself at the same time as making himself a hero in many Citizen's eyes by taking to account the irresponsibility of the publication. The man/woman would end up being begged to run for high office.

Bullypulpit said:

Why...? Quite simple.

Because you want to. I could have saved you all that meaningless typing. :trolls:

First and formeost this whole issue is a moot point..There is no law on the books saying ...prisoners or pow's for that matter must be provided with a book of thier worship....only that they be allowed to worship...

Since the books were purchased and provided by US taxpayers....I say repo them...this would eliminate any further discussion or accusations...

Furthermore if their so called religion is so powerful...then why do they need a book or beads or mat to pray on...ya mean "Allah" can't hear them if they have no book or beads or mat...It is time for them to rethink their belief...even "Allah" has turned his or her back on them....They are the ones in jail for crimes committed.... :hail:

Forum List

Back