NEWSWEEK: 38% Fail Citizenship Test

I got them all right, but I've taught the constitution test prep for years. I could see someone missing 'name a writer of the Federalist Papers' or 'number of representatives', even 'how often do we vote for senator,' rather 'than how long is the term?' But, "Supreme Law of the Land"? "National Anthem"? "Who takes over is President and Vice President are incapacitated"? :eek:

What I found shocking was that a large number of people didn't know what happened at the Contitutional Convention! :eek: You think it might have something to do with the Constitution? :lol:

How Ignorant Are Americans? - Newsweek
When NEWSWEEK recently asked 1,000 U.S. citizens to take America’s official citizenship test, 29 percent couldn’t name the vice president. Seventy-three percent couldn’t correctly say why we fought the Cold War. Forty-four percent were unable to define the Bill of Rights. And 6 percent couldn’t even circle Independence Day on a calendar.
Take the test and see how you do, post your results if you dare!

In the interest of full disclosure I missed two questions:
I couldn't remember the number of Representatives (Clue: It's not 425!)
And for some reason I thought Susan B. Anthony was a nurse! :lol:
My question is, in today's public education, where are children being taught the basics of US Citizenship? Should be part of the HS final exams.

Unless you want to count the guy actually holding the office as first in line.

If he holds the office already, how the hell is he in line?

I've always consider the point at which the line starts to be part of the line, and I don't really consider it something worth splitting semantic hairs over.

It's not semantics. It's really quite simple. If he's the president, he's obviously not in line.

I don't like being "corrected" when I'm already correct.

If he holds the office already, how the hell is he in line?

I've always consider the point at which the line starts to be part of the line, and I don't really consider it something worth splitting semantic hairs over.

It's not semantics. It's really quite simple. If he's the president, he's obviously not in line.

I don't like people feeling the need to "correct" something miniscule, unimportant, and a matter of opinion just so they can feel smart. If you have to work that hard at it, you're not.

I don't like people feeling the need to "correct" something miniscule, unimportant, and a matter of opinion just so they can feel smart. If you have to work that hard at it, you're not.

I don't have to correct someone to feel smart. I am already quite confident in my level of intelligence. Saying the House speaker is third in line for the presidency is just a flat out wrong statement, period.

Get over yourself, deal with it, and move on.

Forum List

Back