NEWSWEEK: 38% Fail Citizenship Test

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
What I found shocking was that a large number of people didn't know what happened at the Contitutional Convention! :eek: You think it might have something to do with the Constitution? :lol:

How Ignorant Are Americans? - Newsweek
When NEWSWEEK recently asked 1,000 U.S. citizens to take America’s official citizenship test, 29 percent couldn’t name the vice president. Seventy-three percent couldn’t correctly say why we fought the Cold War. Forty-four percent were unable to define the Bill of Rights. And 6 percent couldn’t even circle Independence Day on a calendar.
Take the test and see how you do, post your results if you dare!

In the interest of full disclosure I missed two questions:
I couldn't remember the number of Representatives (Clue: It's not 425!)
And for some reason I thought Susan B. Anthony was a nurse! :lol:

What I found shocking was that a large number of people didn't know what happened at the Contitutional Convention! :eek: You think it might have something to do with the Constitution? :lol:

When NEWSWEEK recently asked 1,000 U.S. citizens to take America’s official citizenship test, 29 percent couldn’t name the vice president. Seventy-three percent couldn’t correctly say why we fought the Cold War. Forty-four percent were unable to define the Bill of Rights. And 6 percent couldn’t even circle Independence Day on a calendar.

Wasn't Susan Be Anthony a female to male transsexual?

I'm honestly surprised that figure isn't higher.
More than names, dates, facts it is important to understand the How's and Why's of our country's history. Just my opinion.

Seventy-three percent couldn’t correctly say why we fought the Cold War

Do they mean what was the EXCUSE for the Cold War?

If Capitalism is so great why isn't everybody in favor of mandatory accounting in the schools?

Consider the fact that our capitalist economists ignore the depreciation of durable consumer goods. Does that mean that the United States and the Soviet Union cam within a hair's breadth of having a nuclear war during the Cuban Missile Crisis because neither side had brains enough to do some grade school algebra? :lol:

psik

I got all of them right, although there were a couple I had to stop and think about for a second, usually the ones involving numbers. The number of Representatives always gives me pause, because it changes periodically.

I'm honestly surprised that figure isn't higher.
More than names, dates, facts it is important to understand the How's and Why's of our country's history. Just my opinion.

Yeah, but you can't begin to understand the how and why until you know the what.

[/URL]

I got all of them right, although there were a couple I had to stop and think about for a second, usually the ones involving numbers. The number of Representatives always gives me pause, because it changes periodically.

I thought the House of representatives was set at 435 back in the 1920's? I think Congress can change it but if I recall correctly it has not change since the 20's.

[/URL]

I thought the House of representatives was set at 435 back in the 1920's? I think Congress can change it but if I recall correctly it has not change since the 20's.

Every state gets a minimum of one Representative, and under the Constitution, the number cannot exceed one Representative for every thirty thousand people.

The number of VOTING members is set at 435, but was briefly increased to 437 before returning. However, the District of Columbia and US territories have non-voting delegates. There is currently a movement afoot to require Congress to reset the number according to the 2010 Census data.

I found some of the details interesting. Like how more people knew the Speaker of the House is third in the procession than knew there are nine Supreme Court justices.

Last edited:
My 11 year old got all of them correct except the VP's name. Here's what I found disturbing:

What is the supreme law of the land?

70% got it wrong. :cuckoo:

Why are you shocked by that? This country is chalk full of stupid, ignorant people. Frankly, I'm amazed that we have managed to stay top dog in the world as long as we have. What shocks me is that only 38% failed that test.

My 11 year old got all of them correct except the VP's name. Here's what I found disturbing:

What is the supreme law of the land?

70% got it wrong. :cuckoo:

Again, not surprising. We threw the Constitution out the window a few generations ago. Why would anyone think it's the supreme law of the land when our government doesn't even use it anymore and lies about what it means?

Forum List

Back