[NEWS] Looks like Republicans will Win in 2016

but not the people in the big cities huh?

jsut the rural voters count

Really?? I said that?? No...

It is very simple to understand..

The electoral college is necessary within the balance of power
Districts have been redrawn for a LONG time.. funny how the DEMs have no problems with it when THEY do it.. they will be redrawn again sometime in the future as well, and you will have screaming by some groups of people... but it is STILL better than direct popular vote for the president

Districts have been redrawn for a LONG time.. funny how the DEMs have no problems with it when THEY do it.. they will be redrawn again sometime in the future as well, and you will have screaming by some groups of people... but it is STILL better than direct popular vote for the president

The plan isn't to redraw districts, its to have states where the Democrat wins become district by district states (like the EC system in Maine and Nebraska) while those that are for Republicans remain winner takes all. The scheme reduces the number of Democratic electoral votes for the same popular vote.

Last edited:

The plan isn't to redraw districts, its to have states where the Democrat wins become district by district states (like Maine and Nebraska) while those that are for Republicans remain winner takes all. The scheme reduces the number of Democratic electoral votes for the same popular vote.

And they have that RIGHT... just like the states who choose to have the possibility to split their electoral votes now... and popular vote does not and should not matter for president.. we have a branch that is chosen by popular vote

The plan isn't to redraw districts, its to have states where the Democrat wins become district by district states (like Maine and Nebraska) while those that are for Republicans remain winner takes all. The scheme reduces the number of Democratic electoral votes for the same popular vote.

And they have that RIGHT... just like the states who choose to have the possibility to split their electoral votes now... and popular vote does not and should not matter for president.. we have a branch that is chosen by popular vote

No one is disputing they have a right to rig the electoral college. Having the right does not make it right. The fact it can be rigged in such a way is also a huge argument against the current form.

BTW, if you could point to a Congress in which more people voted for Republican House candidates than Democratic, yet the Democrats won a majority in the House - I'd love to hear about it.

Why should my county not have a voice in the electoral process?
Libs have overwhelmed Tucson. They moved from California and come here and try to do the same exact things that they moved away from.
Why should our country(Cochise) which is overwhelmingly conservative be represented by a liberal voted by the majority (Pima County)?
We do not have conservative representation for our county.
Cochise Country should have equal electoral votes.
This is the way our Republic is suppose to work, so that the majority does not drown out the minority.

Counties are irrelevant to the Presidential election other than the individuals that live within them. And that's the way it should and will stay.

they really dont like democracy

Say's the one who wants a one party rule.
Yes sir eee, that' democracy alright.

and you want the minority to rule

The minority rules when the Ten Commandments are banned from public buildings.
The minority rules when prayer is banned in schools.
The minority rules when one must call a Christmas tree a holiday tree.
The minority rules when the minority free loads from the earnings of productive citizens.
The minority rules when food stamp recipients vote Democrat.
The minority rules when normal people must accept gay "marriage" as normal.
The minority rules when 12% of the population commits 40% of murders.
The minority rules when 95% of a minority votes Democrat.
The minority rules when saying a single word can ruin lives because the minority says it is racist.

The Republican brand isn't particularly strong right now. If this becomes a coordinated campaign - and I highly doubt it will - then it will further diminish the Republican brand.

Instead of cynical manipulations like this, the Republican Party should focus on winning more votes. The GOP has lost the Presidential popular vote in five of the past six elections. That should be the focus.

No one is disputing they have a right to rig the electoral college. Having the right does not make it right. The fact it can be rigged in such a way is also a huge argument against the current form.

BTW, if you could point to a Congress in which more people voted for Republican House candidates than Democratic, yet the Democrats won a majority in the House - I'd love to hear about it.

And the DEMs have the right in their states or whatever to do as they choose with it when they can... I neither agree nor disagree with the whole state or the by district approach.. that is up to those who make those decisions

This is only being made a stink of because it is not DEMs doing it to their own advantage

GOP Version2013: Battling Not Just Democrats but Democracy | The Nation

Shaken by the overwhelming defeats of 2012—a 5 million popular-vote defeat in the presidential race, an Electoral College wipeout, the loss of two US Senate seats in a year where they had been expected to gain, a 1.4 million popular vote deficit in US House races nationwide and the loss of seven of eleven gubernatorial races that were in play—Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus has made it clear that he wants his partisan minions to use what power they retain to rig the electoral process.
The Virginia example is blatant.

But it is not isolated. It is part of a national strategy to allow Republicans to “win” even when they lose. And its primary focus will be on gerrymandering not just state legislatures and the US House but on rigging the Electoral College.

Last week, Priebus urged Republican governors and legislators to take up what was once a fringe scheme to change the rules for distribution of Electoral College votes.

Under the Priebus plan, electoral votes from “battleground” states that now regularly back Democrats for president would be allocated not to the statewide winner but to the winners of individual congressional districts.

The GOP is desperate. They are fighting for their lives. I expect that more underhanded schemes will be launched in the coming months. But each will be short lived, at best. The Poor GOP...

You do know the democrats do the exact same thing in states where they control the districting process, right?

The system of affirming the Presidency by the Electoral College blunts the sharp elbows of a direct and straight majority popular vote.

Affirming the Presidency by Congressional districts would blunt the sharp elbows of the Electoral College.

Would save a lot of money, too! No Presidential elections would be required.

Just let the people voted into the House of Representatives cast their vote for President.

And the DEMs have the right in their states or whatever to do as they choose with it when they can... I neither agree nor disagree with the whole state or the by district approach.. that is up to those who make those decisions

This is only being made a stink of because it is not DEMs doing it to their own advantage

The system of affirming the Presidency by the Electoral College blunts the sharp elbows of a direct and straight majority popular vote.

Affirming the Presidency by Congressional districts would blunt the sharp elbows of the Electoral College.

Just let the people voted into the House of Representatives cast their vote for President.
Not Constitutional.
Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

Gore....hard guess there! I still say it should be by popular vote......I don't think just certain states should be the deciding factor in an election.

And it matters HOW??? The legislature is chosen in a different way than the executive ON PURPOSE, as stated before

Not entirely. Each state would still have thier 2 senatorial EV's up for grabs via statewide vote.

That being said the only way this would work is if somehow you could normalize how you create Congressional districts.

Gore....hard guess there! I still say it should be by popular vote......I don't think just certain states should be the deciding factor in an election.

People should elect the President not states

Again.. balance of power.. we have a branch chosen by popular vote..

And remember, it is the states that give the federal government its power.. and they should have a voice like this in this part of the federal government

Forum List

Back