News Corp - perfect example of how a corporation would run a country.

I've heard many right wingers say America needs to be run more like a corporation or we need to give more power to corporations to leave them "free to make jobs".

Ignore the fact that American corporations are making the most profits in their entire history. Ignore the fact that they sit on trillions in capital because there is no demand since millions of American jobs have been outsourced to China from 2001 to 2008.

You look at News Corp in Great Britain and you see what a corporation running a country is like. Hacked cell phones. Bribery. Scandal.

I'm pretty sure the right wing doesn't have this in mind when they fantasize about how ultra capitalist and wonderful if only corporations were in charge. Well, they almost are. And if the right has it's way, they will be. Careful what you wish for. You might get it.:eusa_pray:

Looks more like unethical tabloid reporters went all out to get a story. Their biggest competitor The Mirror was the one who got the big scoop. Surprise Surprise.

From what I've been reading it isn't even that uncommon in the UK.

As for Murdoch. Well he did own the company which he has since closed down.

Did he know about it?? Seriously dobt it anymore that the owner of a company knows every detail of daily operation or what every employee is doing during the course of a day.

Of course the buck does stop with him as owner.

I doubt the investigation will turn up anything pointing to the Murdochs being guilty of anything.

Doubt they will find anything similar at FOX in the US either.

You FOX haters can always hope though. LOL
It's too early to know; however, these crimes have been simmering for years, and it looks like UK police officers were involved with cover-up activities at least as much as legitimate investigations.

"A parliamentary panel investigating Britain's spreading phone hacking scandal accused the Murdoch empire on Wednesday of 'deliberate attempts' to thwart its investigations.

"The House of Commons home affairs select committee was one of two panels that questioned some of the main players in the scandal on Tuesday, interviewing senior police officers and releasing a scathing report on Wednesday that pointed to 'a catalog of failures' in handling the hacking investigations...

"The separate home affairs select committee interviewed senior officers including Sir Paul Stephenson, the outgoing commissioner of London's Metropolitan Police Service, and John Yates, the assistant commissioner who also is leaving.

"Both men resigned this week amid questions about their ties to Neil Wallis, a former deputy editor of The News of the World — the now defunct Sunday tabloid at the core of the scandal — and the failure to reopen an earlier inquiry into phone hacking after a brief review in 2009.

"The report said there had been 'deliberate attempts by News International to thwart the various investigations' into the illicit hacking of voice mail. At the hearings on Tuesday, both Rupert and James Murdoch denied that they knew of the hacking at the time it happened, as did Ms. Brooks."

British Panel Says Murdochs Are Blocking Inquiries | Truthout

Private citizens are now News Operations?

Since fucking when?

DICKLESS.

Nice deflection, idiot.

If it's wrong, it's wrong. No matter who does it for what the justification is. Fucking hypocrite.

The fucking post was a deflection. Hypocrite.

You understand what he was talking about?

Do you?

Two private citizens picked up GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS talking about how to defend against ETHICS VIOLATIONS.

They were PRIVATE CITIZENS. They sold the tape to the Times who ran the story.

THATS ENTIRELY DIFFERENT FROM A NEWS ORGANIZATION HACKING THE PHONES OF PRIVATE CITIZENS.

Are you really really this stupid?

Yes, a thousand times...yes.

Conservatism wants corporations like News corp. to have more power. That is a fundamental principle OF conservatism.

Liberals want government to run roughshod over businesses.......forcing them into other markets...

:lol:

WHAT OTHER MARKETS?

You fuckers think the rest of the world is Communist or violent Islamic Theocrats. With the exception of course..Israel. Which you fuckers think is god's landing strip.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You idiots are insane.

Why are jobs outsourced to China?

Because it's a communist country with a captive work force who work for 51 cents an hour. And they live in dorms. Their unions are government and company run. Independent unions not allowed. And did I say they live in dorms. During working hours which can be anything from 50 to 70 hours a week, they are not allowed to talk to each other. Many of them commit suicide.

I've seen Republicans on this board defend this system time and again. I don't know why, they just do.

I hope that helped.

Why are jobs outsourced to China?

Because it's a communist country with a captive work force who work for 51 cents an hour. And they live in dorms. Their unions are government and company run. Independent unions not allowed. And did I say they live in dorms. During working hours which can be anything from 50 to 70 hours a week, they are not allowed to talk to each other. Many of them commit suicide.

I've seen Republicans on this board defend this system time and again. I don't know why, they just do.

I hope that helped.

Who? Where?

I'll wait.....:eusa_whistle:

I've heard many right wingers say America needs to be run more like a corporation or we need to give more power to corporations to leave them "free to make jobs".

Ignore the fact that American corporations are making the most profits in their entire history. Ignore the fact that they sit on trillions in capital because there is no demand since millions of American jobs have been outsourced to China from 2001 to 2008.

You look at News Corp in Great Britain and you see what a corporation running a country is like. Hacked cell phones. Bribery. Scandal.

I'm pretty sure the right wing doesn't have this in mind when they fantasize about how ultra capitalist and wonderful if only corporations were in charge. Well, they almost are. And if the right has it's way, they will be. Careful what you wish for. You might get it.:eusa_pray:

That must be why they gave Obama more money than anyone else.

Report: Obama top recipient of News Corp. donations - The Hill's Hillicon Valley

Democrats AND Republicans get most of their money from the richest 1% of Americans.

In the fall of 2008 it looked like Great Depression 2.0 was on the horizon.
The rich needed a rock star with roots to Lincoln.
And they found one.

You can't influence this dynamic by "choosing" between Democrat OR Republican in the voting booth.

Wall Street owns both major parties.

Whatever happened to the turd who hacked and eavesdropped on Gingich's & Boehner's cell phone conversation, back in '95?...Oh yeah, he was a big hero to the loony left.

Nice selective outrage, dickweed.

That was Jim McDermott. Nothing happened to him.

And recall the liberal outrage over Bush's wiretapping? Where they comparing government to corporations then? How about Operation Fast and Furious? What private corporation ever gave away thousands of guns to known criminals? How about Waco? Has a corporation ever deliberately incinerated 80 people? And then there is Hiroshima and Nagasake, WW II, WW I the Civil War, etc, etc, etc,.

Nice deflection, idiot.

If it's wrong, it's wrong. No matter who does it for what the justification is. Fucking hypocrite.

Do you?

Two private citizens picked up GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS talking about how to defend against ETHICS VIOLATIONS.

THATS ENTIRELY DIFFERENT FROM A NEWS ORGANIZATION HACKING THE PHONES OF PRIVATE CITIZENS.

WASHINGTON (AllPolitics, Jan. 13) -- A potentially illegal recording of a cell phone conversation involving House Speaker Newt Gingrich was handed over to federal criminal investigators tonight, the House ethics committee's chief counsel said.

First the tape was sent to the committee by Rep. Jim McDermott of Washington state, the committee's ranking Democrat. A Florida couple who taped the call told a news conference in Gainesville, Florida today they gave the recording to McDermott last week.

The couple, who are Democratic activists in their home state, turned it over to McDermott during a Washington, D.C., visit to witness the swearing-in of a new Florida congressman.

Even before the afternoon news conference, Republicans believed McDermott, who represents the Seattle, Washington, area, was responsible for leaking the tape to the news media. The tape was provided to The New York Times and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution and both reported on its contents last week.

AllPolitics - The Tale Of The Tape - Jan. 13, 1997

I think we need to get a grip on this whole silly NewsCorp scandal.

First, the only reason why they ever hacked cell phones is because the public has an appetite for this kind of gossipy nonsense. The whining about how terrible it was that they hacked into the Royal's voice mail ignores the fact that people want to know gossip about these idiots, like anything they do is that important. Or Celebrities.

You don't like how they do journalism, stop buying their papers. But as long as we make TMZ and Entertainment tonight and other gossip shows a popular medium, when people can tell you more about the Kardashians than Congress, you can't blame the junkie for your addiction.

Second- wait, there are people who keep embarrassing things on their cell phones? Really? People are still doing that? Now, maybe I'm an old guy, but I assume that if a phone isn't hooked into a wall by wires can probably be listened in on by anyone who can tune into that frequency. I delete voice mails as soon as I'm done with them.

The only reason why this is now a scandal is that some of the victims were a little more sympathetic than the usual people who get caught, like Wiener.

We already have it. G.E. owns the President.

A significant number of players here LONG for a corporate state, man.

When they say FREEDOM, what they really mean is CORPORATISM.

That's their idea of good governance.

Do you?

WASHINGTON (AllPolitics, Jan. 13) -- A potentially illegal recording of a cell phone conversation involving House Speaker Newt Gingrich was handed over to federal criminal investigators tonight, the House ethics committee's chief counsel said.

First the tape was sent to the committee by Rep. Jim McDermott of Washington state, the committee's ranking Democrat. A Florida couple who taped the call told a news conference in Gainesville, Florida today they gave the recording to McDermott last week.

The couple, who are Democratic activists in their home state, turned it over to McDermott during a Washington, D.C., visit to witness the swearing-in of a new Florida congressman.

Even before the afternoon news conference, Republicans believed McDermott, who represents the Seattle, Washington, area, was responsible for leaking the tape to the news media. The tape was provided to The New York Times and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution and both reported on its contents last week.

AllPolitics - The Tale Of The Tape - Jan. 13, 1997
"The number of people who have been arrested in the current investigation: 10...

"The number of people who have resigned over the scandal: 7, including 4 top News International executives and 2 Scotland Yard officers...

"Amount of email investigators suspect was deleted by a News International executive: according to The Guardian, about half a terabyte's worth, 'equivalent to 500 editions of Encyclopedia Britannica.'

"Number of pages of information about the phone hacking scandal that were sitting in a Scotland Yard evidence room: 11,000...

"Number of phone numbers listed in those documents: 5,000 landlines and 4,000 cell phones

"Number of phone hacking victims prosecutors initially identified in 2007: 8

"Estimated number of total phone hacking victims: about 4,000

"The number of phone hacking victims who've been notified so far: 170 "

"Number of detectives now working on the investigation: 45

The number of phone hacking victims Scotland Yard is now contacting per week: 30

Estimated time it will take Scotland Yard to contact all phone hacking victims: 2 years

"The amount of money that News of the World allegedly spent bribing Scotland Yard officers: 100,000 pounds ($161,130), paid to up to five officers."

"Number of News of the World whistleblowers found dead: 1. Sean Hoare, the first News of the World journalist who came out and said that former Editor Andy Coulson knew about phone hacking, was found dead in his home yesterday. Hoare previously had drug and alcohol problems and police said that while his death is so far 'unexplained' it's not 'suspicious.'"

Stay tuned.

The Phone Hacking Scandal By The Numbers - ProPublica

Are you fucking serious??

The authoritarian led progressive government already does all that...

Bump for FOX
BUMP for 911

"Did Murdoch papers hack into the phones of 9/11 victims?

"We really don't know.

"That accusation originated from a story in another British tabloid, The Daily Mirror, that cites an unnamed ex-NYPD officer as its main source. The FBI inquiry came in response to calls from politicians, and not because any incriminating evidence has been found."

What’s the Deal With News Corp’s Other, U.S.-Based, Hacking Scandal? - ProPublica

Stay tuned.

I think we need to get a grip on this whole silly NewsCorp scandal.

First, the only reason why they ever hacked cell phones is because the public has an appetite for this kind of gossipy nonsense. The whining about how terrible it was that they hacked into the Royal's voice mail ignores the fact that people want to know gossip about these idiots, like anything they do is that important. Or Celebrities.

You don't like how they do journalism, stop buying their papers. But as long as we make TMZ and Entertainment tonight and other gossip shows a popular medium, when people can tell you more about the Kardashians than Congress, you can't blame the junkie for your addiction.

Second- wait, there are people who keep embarrassing things on their cell phones? Really? People are still doing that? Now, maybe I'm an old guy, but I assume that if a phone isn't hooked into a wall by wires can probably be listened in on by anyone who can tune into that frequency. I delete voice mails as soon as I'm done with them.

The only reason why this is now a scandal is that some of the victims were a little more sympathetic than the usual people who get caught, like Wiener.
There's also an emerging domestic side to Murdoch's hacking:

"After testifying before the British Parliament this week, Rupert Murdoch returned to the United States to be greeted with more bad news: The Justice Department is opening up an inquiry into allegations of computer hacking by News Corp's American advertising wing, News America Marketing.

"The New York Times' David Carr revisited News America's troubled history with 'anti-competitive behavior' in a column on Monday. On Wednesday, New Jersey Sen. Frank Lautenberg wrote to Eric Holder calling for a federal investigation into the hacking claims, pointing back to a similar request he had made back in 2005.

"What's this other hacking scandal all about?

"News America was accused in a 2009 lawsuit of hacking into the computers of one of its competitors, Floorgraphics Inc., to steal detailed information about their sales, clients and finances.

"Floorgraphics said they first realized they were being hacked in 2004, when they discovered intrusions from computers with IP addresses registered to News America.

"The company claimed that their information was accessed at least 11 times over four months and that they started losing important clients to News America shortly afterward, leading to a round of layoffs.

"There was an FBI investigation into the hacking allegations in 2004, but it didn't end up going anywhere."

What’s the Deal With News Corp’s Other, U.S.-Based, Hacking Scandal? - ProPublica

Last edited:

Forum List

Back