Newly Enlisted

archangel said:
Ya happen to like swamps...LOL
I always wondered why the 24th ID, at the time, a rapid deployment unit for the Middle East, was stationed in the low-lands of southern Georgia... then, when we were deployed to Saudi Arabia in August of 1990, I knew why... If you can stand the heat and humidity of southern Georgia, the dry heat of the ME desert ain't shit! :laugh:

Ft. Polk sucked. I wasn't stationed there, but BNCOC for the TOW guys (11H) was only held at Ft. Polk.

freeandfun1 said:
I always wondered why the 24th ID, at the time, a rapid deployment unit for the Middle East, was stationed in the low-lands of southern Georgia... then, when we were deployed to Saudi Arabia in August of 1990, I knew why... If you can stand the heat and humidity of southern Georgia, the dry heat of the ME desert ain't shit! :laugh:

Ft. Polk sucked. I wasn't stationed there, but BNCOC for the TOW guys (11H) was only held at Ft. Polk.

very true...dry heat is much better.....thats why I like Nevada...VN was kinda like the southern US states...very humid and buggy!LOL :salute:
Have a great Memorial day!

archangel said:
very true...dry heat is much better.....thats why I like Nevada...VN was kinda like the southern US states...very humid and buggy!LOL :salute:
Have a great Memorial day!
We were going to move back to Texas about this time last year... We spent two weeks in the Hill Country and the humidity was horrible (compared to Vegas). I coulda halded that, but the BUGS! I hate the frick'n bugs!

In Saudi Arabia the flies were horrible. If you found a place to get out of the blowing sand and wind, that was where the flies also congregated... they were annoying as hell. And then the damn sh*t bugs! When you went to take a crap, they would scurry outta nowhere and be all around you just waiting... funny as hell when you think of it now, but annoying as all can be when you're squat'n out in the desert! :laugh:

ok... first I want to thank everyone for their advice... I don't get that much support for what I'm doing so it is massively appreciated... Everyone asked me to tell more about myself so here it is...

sex:female
children:nope
marital status: engaged
I joined because I don't want to be a waitress for the rest of my life, and I can't afford college for much longer... I was majoring in criminal justice... I live in a small town that I hate, and want to get out of which the military is providing me a way out... I also wanted to give something back to the country because this country saved part of my family from concentration camps long ago... my father, and both of my grandfathers have been in the military, so apparently there has to be one for every generation...
I started college when I was 16...
I've enlisted for four years...
I'm entering as an MP
Because of the kind of person I am this is most likely to be my career... I intend to stay with the military...
I've always had a thing for the military... I can't explain it that well... Ever since I was 5 and I used to play military games with my barbie dolls... Then I begged my parents to send me to this military bootcamp that was for bad kids, and I loved it... when I was in highschool I was in JROTC and I loved every minute of it... It's just literally been all that I've ever wanted to do..
Because of that, I have actually NEVER done any sort of drugs... and the only medicine I have ever taken is Dayquil and Advil...

I leave for BCT on August 29th... and I intend to stay with this forum as it does seem to have a nice community...

kancer43 said:
ok... first I want to thank everyone for their advice... I don't get that much support for what I'm doing so it is massively appreciated... Everyone asked me to tell more about myself so here it is...

I joined because I don't want to be a waitress for the rest of my life, and I can't afford college for much longer... I was majoring in criminal justice... I live in a small town that I hate, and want to get out of which the military is providing me a way out... I also wanted to give something back to the country because this country saved part of my family from concentration camps long ago... my father, and both of my grandfathers have been in the military, so apparently there has to be one for every generation...
I'm entering as an MP
Because of the kind of person I am this is most likely to be my career... I intend to stay with the military...
I've always had a thing for the military... I can't explain it that well... Ever since I was 5 and I used to play military games with my barbie dolls... Then I begged my parents to send me to this military bootcamp that was for bad kids, and I loved it... when I was in highschool I was in JROTC and I loved every minute of it... It's just literally been all that I've ever wanted to do..
Because of that, I have actually NEVER done any sort of drugs... and the only medicine I have ever taken is Dayquil and Advil...

I leave for BCT on August 29th... and I intend to stay with this forum as it does seem to have a nice community...
Very cool. You obviously know what you want to do and I highly respect you for it. I too joined the Army from a small town (in Texas in my case) as a way out and, in my view, a way up. It was the best thing I ever did. I planned on staying in also, but I decided 8 years was enough. But the Army is different now. I am sure that if I were in now, I would have stayed in. The times were different. God bless you and take care of yourself. We look forward to having you around!

kancer43 said:

I'm entering as an MP

Started college at sixteen...a very bright young lady you are...you are taking the right path given your financial circumstances...the military will give you the time to mature...and provide you the means to finish college....If you stick with the military I can see you as a bright commissioned officer one day...
if you chose to leave and pursue other interest as many of us did...well I can see you maybe in the FBI one day...good luck and God speed! :salute:

ty both arcangel and freeandfun1... FBI? That would be awesome... but only if I could do all the crazy stuff...
I still can't believe how nice everyone is here... most supportive thing I got at home was "well have fun getting shot at"...
Anyways I am very happy with my decision... and it's great that not everyone looks at it like a death wish or trying to be a killing machine... Yous have no idea how much you've lightened up my mood...

I was in during the firsth Gulf War. I would recommend to nearly everybody to join before they go to college. It changes the way you focus and think.

It is a good thing you do, for yourself as well as for all of us.

Spacebo Bolshoe

kancer43 said:
ty both arcangel and freeandfun1... FBI? That would be awesome... but only if I could do all the crazy stuff...
I still can't believe how nice everyone is here... most supportive thing I got at home was "well have fun getting shot at"...
Anyways I am very happy with my decision... and it's great that not everyone looks at it like a death wish or trying to be a killing machine... Yous have no idea how much you've lightened up my mood...

So far I have not responded but I am going to now.........................

First off I have a daughter the same age as you, and I am so sorry to hear your family is not being more supportive of your decision. They should be more supportive of you, however I can also understand there misgivings in this situation. They are probably very afraid that they may lose you, unfortunatley that is a possibility. Give them some time to adjust and they will probably come around. From your posts I get your are a very intelligent young lady who knows what she wants to do with her life, which is a big plus, I can not think of too many other 18 year olds who can say the same! Good luck to you! and Welcome! :)

gop_jeff said:
Good luck kancer... though I will say that if you started college at 16, you must be pretty intellegent. If you are thinking about maiking the military a career, I know a great school you could go to... :thup:
I heard of this school... I'll check it out...

kancer43 said:
I heard of this school... I'll check it out...
This ain't ringin true folks....
I may be wrong....But..something ain't right here.
Collage at 16
ROTC in HS
Only "heard" about that school, the point?
And there's more...
Nahhhhhh....bet I'm right.. :poke:

Mr. P said:
This ain't ringin true folks....
I may be wrong....But..something ain't right here.
Collage at 16
ROTC in HS
Only "heard" about that school, the point?
And there's more...
Nahhhhhh....bet I'm right.. :poke:
I would like to know exactly how this isn't right... I started homeschool when I was 16, after already skipping a grade, and just did two years work so that I could graduate that year, and for some of the classes that were required for me to graduate I took college courses so that I could both graduate and start building up some credits... I was still in the Highschool's jurisdiction. and they allowed me to participate in every extra-cirricular activity.. Including JROTC... Yes I have only "heard about that school" meaning I've never been there and I don't know all the details of it... I do hope you are not questioning my past efforts because I busted my ass to be where I am now and I take that personally offensive... do not mock or deride that which you know little about...

kancer43 said:
I would like to know exactly how this isn't right... I started homeschool when I was 16, after already skipping a grade, and just did two years work so that I could graduate that year, and for some of the classes that were required for me to graduate I took college courses so that I could both graduate and start building up some credits... I was still in the Highschool's jurisdiction. and they allowed me to participate in every extra-cirricular activity.. Including JROTC... Yes I have only "heard about that school" meaning I've never been there and I don't know all the details of it... I do hope you are not questioning my past efforts because I busted my ass to be where I am now and I take that personally offensive... do not mock or deride that which you know little about...

Time will tell if you are what you say you are...

Kancer,
Well done young one.
It takes a special kind of audacity to set yourself up to suceed like you have done.

Since I did my 22 as a Marine, my advice will be more generic than most. For specifics on how to succeed as a professional Soldier, call on your CSM here on the board.

First: If you did not join with the absolute conviction that bleeding and dying for your country is OK, you made a mistake. It aint about bennies, it's about making a difference in something bigger than you.

Second: Don't pay any attention to that "Warrior Mentality" BS. A warrior is a single fighter with awesome skill. He is also cold meat on the table of a team of trained Soldiers or Marines. In other words young one, learn to shoot, salute, drill, and kill. Make sure that you understand that there is never an "I" in TEAM.

Last: There are three types of information. Need to know, Good to know, and nice to know. ASking "why" is nice to know. Not normally appreciated by your Drill Sergeant (Drill Instructor for Marines) nor tolerated by the Company First Sergeant. Asking "why" becomes Good to Know only after you make Corporal.

Good Luck, come back when you've formally earned your beret and tell us about it.

Forum List

Back