Newly Enlisted

kancer43

May 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
I just officialy enlisted in the US Army last week, so if there are any Army people or Veterans here, any tips or advice is greatly appreciated... for anyone who is not one of those your advice is still appreciated... Just please no one here be a jackass and tell me I'm crazy or dumb... I've gotten enough of that already...

kancer43 said:
I just officialy enlisted in the US Army last week, so if there are any Army people or Veterans here, any tips or advice is greatly appreciated... for anyone who is not one of those your advice is still appreciated... Just please no one here be a jackass and tell me I'm crazy or dumb... I've gotten enough of that already...
It's a bit late for our military contingent but you will be flooded with advice--trust me. :D

kancer43 said:

US Army Vietnam era 1964-1968...I dropped outta college to serve...good for you..advice would be to listen to your NCO's they have it down pat and will save your butt in a crisis...I was a Buck Sgt...then Lt....resigned commission and went back to NCO...wanted to be down and dirty with the guys...not reccommending this though a officers life is much nicer except as a 2nd Lt...much like being a private...NCO's snub ya and so do senior officers...but if ya can make it through this and plan on a career go for the stripe down the pants....also expect the worst and be grateful when the best comes! :cof:

Tell us more, kancer43. How old are you, and whereabouts do you live? And let us know when you graduate boot camp by coming back to keep in touch with us. We really do appreciate your service to our country and I hope you'll stick around here. :usa:

Congratulations!!! I spent 30 years in the Army ... joined in 1968 and dont regret a minute of it. Finally retired as a Command Sergeant Major.

As for those who are telling you that you have some kind of problem because you enlisted....talk to them about two years from now and compare what they have accomplished to what you will accomplish! Listen to your NCO's; the good ones will take care of you and provide you the skills you need. The great ones will lead you on to those accomplishments I am talking about.

kancer43 said:
Partially Disabled Army Veteran of War 1999-2004
More info please....

What MOS?
Terms of enlistment?
Future military career plans (if any)?
Where are you from?
Age?
Influences, or reasons (if any) for enlistment?
Married?
Children?
Stuff like that...

JOKER96BRAVO said:
Partially Disabled Army Veteran of War 1999-2004
More info please....

What MOS?
Terms of enlistment?
Future military career plans (if any)?
Where are you from?
Age?
Influences, or reasons (if any) for enlistment?
Married?
Children?
Stuff like that...
Did some research so I know you're from PA.
Small or big town?

I know you're 18 and engaged.
Any kids?

And of course the questions I listed above as well.
(This will help us get an assessment of yourself to customize our advice)

gop_jeff said:
Just remember that your LT is a great guy who wants to do the best for his platoon, even if he is a little slow to learn! :D
:laugh: yea, I had a 2LT know-it-all lead a flight of eight UH1s right over a live artillery battery.
Boy I'm glad he was looking out for us! BTW he was a MORON!!
Needless to say after that he was pretty much the joke of the unit and us Warrants did what we had to do from then on to keep things safe, and him in his place.

Mr. P said:
:laugh: yea, I had a 2LT know-it-all lead a flight of eight UH1s right over a live artillery battery.
Boy I'm glad he was looking out for us! BTW he was a MORON!!
Needless to say after that he was pretty much the joke of the unit and us Warrants did what we had to do from then on to keep things safe, and him in his place.

Wow, THAT is stupid! I never did anything that bad... worst I can remember is putting a forklift tine through the side of a HEMMT! :D

gop_jeff said:
Wow, THAT is stupid! I never did anything that bad... worst I can remember is putting a forklift tine through the side of a HEMMT! :D
Now just who in the heck was dumb enough to let a LT drive a forklift!

Seriously, I have known some good LTs and some bad Lts...the good ones were raised by myself

CSM said:
Now just who in the heck was dumb enough to let a LT drive a forklift!

Seriously, I have known some good LTs and some bad Lts...the good ones were raised by myself

I was spelling some of my troops who had been working about 12 hours straight during an NTC ammo resupply operation. Thankfully I only pierced one of the flip-down sides of the HEMMT bed.

And I agree, a good NCO or WO will square away his LT. I had my share of both good and bad.

freeandfun1 said:
What MOS? I spent 8 wonderful :wtf: years in the Army.

11E40..TC Armor..then Combat Engineer...OCS Ft.Belvoir Va....did not like it went back to E-5 Sgt Armor...hoo rah! :rock:

archangel said:
11E40..TC Armor..then Combat Engineer...OCS Ft.Belvoir Va....did not like it went back to E-5 Sgt Armor...hoo rah! :rock:
11HE9, got out and E5(P). Completed PLDC and BNCOC (Honor Grad of my BNCOC class at wonderful and beautiful (NOT!) Ft. Polk, LA, July, 1991.)

freeandfun1 said:
11HE9, got out and E5(P). Completed PLDC and BNCOC (Honor Grad of my BNCOC class at wonderful and beautiful (NOT!) Ft. Polk, LA, July, 1991.)

Ya happen to like swamps...LOL

Forum List

Back