Newest Health Care Bill ~ This one is 1900 pages

That's how it got to $1.2 trillion. According to other stories I read this afternoon, Pelosi hasn't been able to find 218 votes to pass the bill, so she has agreed to add things to the bill to try to make it more palatable to some reluctant House Dems. The problem is that none of these new costs are paid for by taxes or spending cuts, so it doesn't sound likely this bill will be acceptable to moderate Dems unless Pelosi is able to find about $300 in new revenues to cover these costs. I've read a lot of stories that reference this $1.2 trillion cost, but I haven't seen any that explain this apparent increase as the result of a change of assumptions as you claim, but if you have a link to such a story, I'd be very interested in seeing it.

The article explaining it was already posted earlier in the thread, but I'll do so again:

The Congressional Budget Office said Thursday a U.S. House health-care system re-write would extend health insurance to 96% of the nonelderly U.S. population by 2019, and spend $1.055 trillion to do so.

Penalties imposed on individuals who did not purchase insurance, and employers who did not offer coverage to their workers, would raise $161 billion over that time-frame. That brings the net cost of the bill to $894 billion through 2019, CBO said.

House Democrats have seized on that net cost figure to claim that their bill is below President Barack Obama's upper limit which he set for health-care legislation of $900 billion.

CBO Puts House Health Bill Total Cost At $1.055 Trillion

All the provision you quoted do is state that minimum standards will be set and that policies must conform to those standards. How does that equate to nationalization?

why does the government have to tell me what the minimum coverage I choose should be.

I happen to be very happy with my HSA but now I will most likely have to buy a much more expensive policy that does not have a tax free savings account attached.

HMMM do you think this is about the government wanting to get its slimy paws on more tax revenue by denying millions of people the option to use an HSA?

No. It's about how the current system of letting individual states set policy terms increases the cost of compliance.

These idiots in Washington The Democrats who want to force all citizens which most are opposed to this bill into this doomed healthcare system which will be full of rationing, corruption and fraud. are not listening to us leave our health care alone!!!! If this system is so good why don't you and your families enroll into this doomed system. Show us by example that you think this will be a good system by dropping your current healthcare plan and using this system that you will be forcing me to use!!!!

Forum List

Back